GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Negative Camber up front. How much is needed

Obakong

Ready to race!
Haha. I want both worlds :)
I am going for full SuperPro bushing and LCA and Clubsport S swivles.
Just waiting for SuperPro and H&R ARB front and back.
Install is in 14 days i hope.

Did a alignment yesterday. got -1 degree camber on stock suspension.
This is for my ref on before and after....:D

Any updates on final camber with LCA and Clubsport S swivels? Any issues with both upgrades installed?

Thanks!

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Any updates on final camber with LCA and Clubsport S swivels? Any issues with both upgrades installed?

Thanks!

Hi.
Yes all has been installed with out any problems.
I ended up having - 2 degree negative camber at the front using the CSS swivels and SuperPro 007K LCA's.
I am super happy with the setup as of now, but need some more testing...

Please read post 47 here.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29309&page=3

And post 83 here.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7278&page=5

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I ended up having - 2 degree negative camber at the front using the CSS swivels and SuperPro 007K LCA's.

I can corroborate these numbers, with the 006K LCA (which increases caster over that provided by the 007K).

I will add that I doubt there is any more room inside the wheel well for installation of camber plates. The strut bracket for the swaybar endlink is VERY close to the sheet metal, with some signs of scrapping on the driver's side.

Last edited:

Zacr811

Ready to race!
I would say anything around -2 is good for the average street car that see some track time and is looking for some benefits of running more camber.

If its being tracked a lot you want to get as much as you can IMO. I run -3 degrees and would go more but that means new knuckles and spings to make it work. I also had to cut my strut towers to max out the plates.

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Hi guys.
I am thinking of installing the 034motorsport fixed top plates.
They have advised to give -1,4 in extra negative camber.
I'm not sure if this will cause any extra rubbing on my setup as it is now.
What do you think.
If I understand this it will boost me to - 3,4 in negative camber.

My car is mostly tracked so not afraid of tire wear. But it needs to be be safe on the road to for my wife to use it now and then.
What do you think?

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Hi guys.
I am thinking of installing the 034motorsport fixed top plates.
They have advised to give -1,4 in extra negative camber.
I'm not sure if this will cause any extra rubbing on my setup as it is now.
What do you think.
If I understand this it will boost me to - 3,4 in negative camber.

My car is mostly tracked so not afraid of tire wear. But it needs to be be safe on the road to for my wife to use it now and then.
What do you think?
a buddy of mine just installed these along with the new 034 springs on a GTI.
he did some informal diy camber measure and claims -2.4
hasn't mentioned any rubbing issues.

as mentioned in a post above, clearance with the strut end link mount can come into play for some aftermarket struts.

my sportwagen springs (which have over 6" od) will permit about -1.5 adjust before springs rub. I have no issues with the strut end link mount but I'm on stock 50mm struts.

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
If you're using the car 90% for track why in the world would you be driving a GTI? Just curious, not trolling. Why not a ND miata or FRS/BRZ or something in that similar price range?

Zacr811

Ready to race!
If you're using the car 90% for track why in the world would you be driving a GTI? Just curious, not trolling. Why not a ND miata or FRS/BRZ or something in that similar price range?

The mk7 GTI is an incredibly good base to build on. Better than the R and is very fast when done right. I run faster than a lot of turbo miatas and brz/frs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A3SBQ

Ready to race!

I have my R used for track. I think split is 70%track and joy. 30% Road.
Don't see any wrong with this.
Most of the people her drive the Golf GTI and R"s out of passion. NOT to have the best track weapon bla bla bla..
Don't understand your comment.
Yes there are other "better" platforms but we are here for the love in what we do.

And for me there is a plus having a second car that is safe for my wife to drive. And me to have fun with...
Isn't this why we all are here for? ��

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
I have my R used for track. I think split is 70%track and joy. 30% Road.
Don't see any wrong with this.
Most of the people her drive the Golf GTI and R"s out of passion. NOT to have the best track weapon bla bla bla..
Don't understand your comment.
Yes there are other "better" platforms but we are here for the love in what we do.

And for me there is a plus having a second car that is safe for my wife to drive. And me to have fun with...
Isn't this why we all are here for? ��

I get it if it's a mixed road car and track car but for nearly all track the GTI is not a good platform without a lot of changes (See GTI Clubsport S).

I'm not even talking about all out lap time. Talking about consumables, FWD roasting tires, driving dynamics etc. I've instructed students in Golf R's, they did ok on track but not that exciting. For 40k there are much better cars for joy/track. If you need a car that can do it all it makes sense.

AR11

Ready to race!
Why would you ask this question if you have already ruled out camber plates? Just looking for positive confirmation on your decision not to have camber plates? Here, have a pat on the back.

Whackamac

Ready to race!
I'm thinking about running about -2 in the rear in and -2.5 to -3 in the front for autoX/hillclimbs. I have the ST XTA's with the front camber plates. Gonna test that here at the first event.

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
How much is to much negative camber up front?
Can it get to. Much?
I have about - 2 and are thinking of the 034motorsport top plate bearing...

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
How much is to much negative camber up front?
Can it get to. Much?
I have about - 2 and are thinking of the 034motorsport top plate bearing...

I can’t remember for sure, but aren’t you running the CSS swivels and 0006K SuperPro LCAs? If so, I don’t think you have the room to decrease camber more than what you already have. You’ll get interference between the strut mount FSB endlink and inner fender.

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
I can’t remember for sure, but aren’t you running the CSS swivels and 0006K SuperPro LCAs? If so, I don’t think you have the room to decrease camber more than what you already have. You’ll get interference between the strut mount FSB endlink and inner fender.

You are correct.
Thanks for the heads-up. Didn't know that...