GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DeAutoKey 5500K HID Bulbs Review / Comparison

16AutobahnGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
DeAutoKey 5500k HID Review

I was in the market for a set of HID bulbs that were more white with a blue hint than the stock ones. The stock ones were okay but something else out there could have proved better.

Went ahead and purchased the deAutoKey 5500k D3S bulbs for my GTI with LP, and was impressed by the initial build quality of the bulbs. All metal enclose, got a slight bit of weight to them, looks and feels solid. Installation with removing the bumper was needed because of the tight spacing, but don’t fear this, it’s very straightforward and many guides showing you this procedure.

The original bulbs were bright with a yellow white hue to them. Visibility down the road was good, and also side to side was decent. Overall the bulbs were decent, but didn’t match the color of the DRLs nor the LED fog lights that came equipped on my particular model.

After installing the newer bulbs from deAutoKey, these will cost you around $125 for a set, they instantly proved satisfactory to my taste. The hue bumped up to a pure white with a blue tint. This image also very closely resembles what LED output in headlights look. Brightness is about equal, but because of the change of color you’ll have to get used to the different color. But brightness and down the road visibility is almost identical, despite the advertisement saying 30% brighter than stock. These new bulbs also match the LED fog lights almost perfectly. True 5500-6000k output on these bulbs. There is a slight warm up time with all HID bulbs, and these are no exception to that rule, except it’s minimal, maybe below 10 seconds are they’re ready. Whether they’ll become warmer as they get warn in, who knows, but the manufacturer claims they won’t change temperature.

These bulbs do include a lifetime warranty with deAutoKey so if anything happens you’re covered. The photos I took are on the garage wall which is solid white and few on the road so you can see a comparison of the temperature. Big time difference between them.

If you’re in the market for a set of HIDs that won’t break the bank and give you a more LED-ish appearance, these are the ticket!

Attachments

• B8C2F090-856F-4095-8CFF-6656734BE1A2.jpeg
    B8C2F090-856F-4095-8CFF-6656734BE1A2.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 3,702
  • AF8D4CCB-8081-4F0C-BDDC-B6FBDEBAC825.jpeg
    AF8D4CCB-8081-4F0C-BDDC-B6FBDEBAC825.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 8,766
  • 47C38AAF-3429-45D4-BDB7-F9400A791C0A.jpeg
    47C38AAF-3429-45D4-BDB7-F9400A791C0A.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,177

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Looks...blue...

I think others on here have been as happy / happier with the Osram CBI bulbs.

What the heck is HBI?

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Thanks for the review but we are just curious on the blue in them, the photos make them a bit more blue than what we have seen in person.

Here is a photo of the same bulb in a MK7 next to the OEM LEDs - you can see the difference:

Ok so I saw that DeAutokey had new bulbs and I immediately wanted them. Don't get me wrong the oem cc adaptive headlights are great. I just wanted them to be a bit whiter (more like the new led headlights color on other cars acura,mb,bmw,mazda, etc.)

I opted for the 5500k and am very happy with the outcome. I just put them in 5 min ago so I haven't seen them at night but from looking at oem and this it looks great.

Here is a picture of the DeAutokey 5500k on the left and oem color on the right. The color matches the drl led better too. The garage wall is gray so the color may be off but it looks pure white with a hint of blue.

Found this YouTube video (not mine do at your own risk/will) props to the guy who made it.

https://youtu.be/rst7XCk6Ids

So I went around looking through forums and such and many recommend the Sylvania osram bulbs if you were replacing oem bulbs. So I got them to compare to the deautokey ones.

My garage wall is gray and camera doesn't truly get the color but you can tell the difference.

This is at startup car is off.

Here is after 2min and the car is on bulbs now fully warmed up

You can see the osram on the left is more yellow than the deautokey on the right. As far as brightness goes they are equal if not deautokey is a tad brighter. This is their 5500k color. In person the color is pure white with a hint of blue. Way better than oem imo

Don't mind the dirty headlight

So overall I'm very happy with the deautokey set that I bought. And it costs less than the Sylvania osram. Another reason I like them is every other bulb so far has been great and deautokey is an active member on here and backs their product.

Hope this helps

5500k looking great!

DeAutoKey 5500k HID Review

I was in the market for a set of HID bulbs that were more white with a blue hint than the stock ones. The stock ones were okay but something else out there could have proved better.

Went ahead and purchased the deAutoKey 5500k D3S bulbs for my GTI with LP, and was impressed by the initial build quality of the bulbs. All metal enclose, got a slight bit of weight to them, looks and feels solid. Installation with removing the bumper was needed because of the tight spacing, but don’t fear this, it’s very straightforward and many guides showing you this procedure.

The original bulbs were bright with a yellow white hue to them. Visibility down the road was good, and also side to side was decent. Overall the bulbs were decent, but didn’t match the color of the DRLs nor the LED fog lights that came equipped on my particular model.

After installing the newer bulbs from deAutoKey, these will cost you around $125 for a set, they instantly proved satisfactory to my taste. The hue bumped up to a pure white with a blue tint. This image also very closely resembles what LED output in headlights look. Brightness is about equal, but because of the change of color you’ll have to get used to the different color. But brightness and down the road visibility is almost identical, despite the advertisement saying 30% brighter than stock. These new bulbs also match the LED fog lights almost perfectly. True 5500-6000k output on these bulbs. There is a slight warm up time with all HID bulbs, and these are no exception to that rule, except it’s minimal, maybe below 10 seconds are they’re ready. Whether they’ll become warmer as they get warn in, who knows, but the manufacturer claims they won’t change temperature.

These bulbs do include a lifetime warranty with deAutoKey so if anything happens you’re covered. The photos I took are on the garage wall which is solid white and few on the road so you can see a comparison of the temperature. Big time difference between them.

If you’re in the market for a set of HIDs that won’t break the bank and give you a more LED-ish appearance, these are the ticket!

Last edited:

16AutobahnGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
The HID bulbs I was sent said “5500k” on the side of the box. No editing was done to these photos. They are the white balance on the normal setting on my iPhone X. They are very blue, very close to 6000k-6500k range. None of the photos I posted have any LED lights in them. All that is in there the identical photo of the factory bulb, and then yours to compare with the show the big difference in color temperature. I’m saying these color output of the HIDs I received are very similar to what a typical 6000k LED bulb would produce

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
The HID bulbs I was sent said “5500k” on the side of the box. No editing was done to these photos. They are the white balance on the normal setting on my iPhone X. They are very blue, very close to 6000k-6500k range. None of the photos I posted have any LED lights in them. All that is in there the identical photo of the factory bulb, and then yours to compare with the show the big difference in color temperature. I’m saying these color output of the HIDs I received are very similar to what a typical 6000k LED bulb would produce

Thank you for explaining further, we were just a bit shocked as the photo you are sharing is not anything we ever seen in person. They almost look like a deep blue color.

The LED lights we are referring to is this, it has the OEM LED fogs, they are very blue in the photo, that is not what the OEM VW LEDs look like normally and why we also thought the photos were edited:

Does our HID kit match your OEM LED Fogs?

Anyone who has this car can tell you that those LEDs do not look like the ones you shared in the photos, this is a sharp contrast from this photo of a customer with our HID kit + OEM LED fogs side by side:

Last edited:

16AutobahnGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
The factory LED fogs have a blue hue to them. That comparison photo you’re showing off an Instagram post also raises question of its white balance too, because everything appears mostly washed out with white. It doesn’t reflect any color to the fogs, which have a bluish appearance to them

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
The factory LED fogs have a blue hue to them. That comparison photo you’re showing off an Instagram post also raises question of its white balance too, because everything appears mostly washed out with white. It doesn’t reflect any color to the fogs, which have a bluish appearance to them

We want to add that your review is very positive and happy to hear it matches the fogs and lights up the road as much as OEM, that is all that matters.

Our intention in posting is only to address the color temperature we see in person and why we shared it, here is another 2 photos of fogs next to HID kits with some variations in color to better get an idea.

We never seen any icy deep blue color, always a cleaner whiter 5500k to 6000k range

Last edited:

gtiscott

Passed Driver's Ed
Not to step on anyone's toes here but taking a picture of a headlight for brightness and color is basically useless.

You would need to make sure its the same camera, lens, white balance (fixed not auto), exposure, iso etc etc

Ambient light, reflective surfaces, condition of headlight lens.

Also needs to be taken in RAW format (real camera, maybe a few phones) phone cameras do a lot of post processing.

You can go on and on and on.

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
I run these bulbs and can confirm 5500k is spot on. If the fogs are in the 6000-6500k range, then these are just below that. They do appear blue when you first turn then on, but once they warm up after 10 seconds, you can a very white color.

stillwellm10

Ready to race!
If the light output is as good or if not better than the OEM HID's I might consider picking these up for my Golf. I'm just curious as to what kind of longevity they may have years down the road.

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
If the light output is as good or if not better than the OEM HID's I might consider picking these up for my Golf. I'm just curious as to what kind of longevity they may have years down the road.
I'm coming up on a year with mine and they seem fine. Supposedly they have a lifetime warranty?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Not to step on anyone's toes here but taking a picture of a headlight for brightness and color is basically useless.

You would need to make sure its the same camera, lens, white balance (fixed not auto), exposure, iso etc etc

Ambient light, reflective surfaces, condition of headlight lens.

Also needs to be taken in RAW format (real camera, maybe a few phones) phone cameras do a lot of post processing.

You can go on and on and on.

We agree, but we only share photos that we feel most accurately represent what our team saw in person to avoid unhappy customers and returns.

I run these bulbs and can confirm 5500k is spot on. If the fogs are in the 6000-6500k range, then these are just below that. They do appear blue when you first turn then on, but once they warm up after 10 seconds, you can a very white color.

Thank you, we appreciate you sharing this feedback, we always felt our 5500k matched the OEM LEDs.

Everyone sees light differently and won't say otherwise, 16AutobahnGTI made a great review with a lot of great feedback and really appreciate his kind words and review.

I'm coming up on a year with mine and they seem fine. Supposedly they have a lifetime warranty?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

These do have a 100% True Lifetime Warranty like all of the LEDs/HIDs we sell so you are set for life when you purchase our products.

For the color/visibility, compared to OEM which is 4300k, we feel ours do a good job in creating the same amount of spread of light down the road/sides etc, for visibility it depends as our 5k won't be as yellow, it will be more white, it will take time for some for their eyes to adjust. If you try to compare our 5500k next to a 4300k ours will look very blue, by themselves they are more white and create a lot of clean visibility for the driver with the appearance of a clean white light vs dull dim yellowish light.