GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project Red XIII: avenali312's OEM+ GTI

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
Are you scanning while the engine is running? Mine did that too. Don't scan with engine running.....just with the accesories on....bet you those codes disappear

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Are you scanning while the engine is running? Mine did that too. Don't scan with engine running.....just with the accesories on....bet you those codes disappear

Yes, this scan was while running. With only accessories on, it's more like this:

02 Transmission
Trouble codes:
P173400 - Starter release from the selector lever sensor system
Intermittent

09 Central Electrics
Trouble codes:
B1806F0 - Heated seat passenger's side Safety shutdon due to occupant detection
Intermittent

16 Steering Column Electronics
Trouble codes:
B116229 - Selector lever park position lock switch Implausible signal
Intermittent

42 Door Electronics Driver Side
Trouble codes:
B11F814 - Heated outside rear-view mirror Open circuit/short circuit to ground static

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Attended the first ever ATL MK7 group meetup last night. Had a great time and met some cool people. Actually remembered to take my camera to this one, but had to shoot at a high ISO since I left the tripod home in favor of bringing the puppy, so they're a little grainy.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
No real major updates to report lately. Had my oil changed at 20k miles and replaced the cabin air filter myself with the charcoal version. Also had the shifter mechanism and heated mirror switch replaced due to the codes listed above. New shifter is a bit sticky and I have to push it back up into D from S rather than it springing back on its own, but the dealer asked me to drive it for a couple of weeks to see if it wears in on its own. It does function fine, just not quite right, so I may be returning to have a new part installed.

ryohei47

Ready to race!
Interesting you mentioned the "Error: Service Vehicle. Only leave vehicle in P position!" error, I get it once in a while but since it goes away immediately I never think much about it. Did you have to show the dealer your VCDS code or did they see it themselves when they checked?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
there is a pretty big thread about it on here... i would recommend having your dealer check it out...

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Interesting you mentioned the "Error: Service Vehicle. Only leave vehicle in P position!" error, I get it once in a while but since it goes away immediately I never think much about it. Did you have to show the dealer your VCDS code or did they see it themselves when they checked?

there is a pretty big thread about it on here... i would recommend having your dealer check it out...

Sorry, I just saw this now. I went in with my own code list printed out, but they should be able to find it just as easily. I also went in with a photo and video from my GoPro as proof it happened, but that's probably overkill. I feel it's well enough known now that they shouldn't fight you on it. I only take a ton of evidence with me because some dealers like to play the "we couldn't reproduce the issue" card.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
This past weekend I finally got around to debadging the rear hatch "GTI" and side wing emblems. Really like how it looks without them.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
New shifter is a bit sticky and I have to push it back up into D from S rather than it springing back on its own, but the dealer asked me to drive it for a couple of weeks to see if it wears in on its own. It does function fine, just not quite right, so I may be returning to have a new part installed.

Quoting myself from the past since I am having this looked at today. New shifter was ordered and had an appointment this morning to get it installed. Apparently, the shifter is fine and they believe it's the cable instead. So, they ordered that and it will be here tomorrow.

I'll be in this loaner for the next couple of days. Super comfy and lots of space, but compared to the GTI it feels like driving a city bus haha. It's a base model 4 cylinder, so it does feel a bit slow. Also, it shuts down when you come to a stop, which I know is popular these days, but I'm not a fan since it's not a seamless restart (there's a bit of a jerk involved).

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Small update since my last post. The new shifter mechanism and cable are working perfectly. No more error codes and the shifter actually works more efficiently than before. I had no idea there was a bind on the cable and that level of effort was harder than normal.

This past weekend I also installed a 1.25" Torklift EcoHitch to make hauling the mountain bike a bit easier. Installation was pretty simple and straightforward and took my slow, methodical self about 4 hours to complete. I'll be using a Thule T1 rack with it most of the time. I drove it to work this morning with the rack empty and in the vertical position and didn't even know it was there, so overall I'm very happy with it.

Special thanks to StealthGTI for his private messages and thorough blog post which helped prep me for the install.

Notes from the install:

- The instructions don't have a step for unplugging the license plate bulbs. I found it easiest to pop out the bulbs while the bumper was still installed, disconnect the wire from each bulb housing, and then unclip the wire harness from the bumper while removing it.

- It says to discard the crash bar foam, but I didn't have to. The bumper fit back on just fine with it reinstalled.

- The instruction dimensions for the cutout do seem to be for the 2" variant of the hitch. I made the cutout 1" narrower than recommended (1/2" on each side) and then trimmed as necessary until the fit was how I wanted. This involved putting the bumper on and off a couple of times, but it was worth it in the end. I used a Dremel with a cut-off wheel to make the cuts and it worked great.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Nicely done! I'm glad to have been helpful.

Definitely helpful! Just to follow up on the bike rack, my Thule T1 has absolutely no side to side sway at all, It does have a little vertical movement, but with the bike loaded and the extra 30 pounds on there, it's a non issue.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Maiden voyage to the trails was a success! Super solid and couldn't be happier with the hitch/rack combo. Now I just need to get in better shape so I can ride longer haha.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So, I can't believe I forgot to post this, because it may be one of my favorite "mods" to date. I'm a pretty picky person when it comes to aesthetics, and when it comes to blatantly visible rust, there's no place for it in my life (other than the occasional wet rotors overnight haha).

While doing the spring install last year, I decided that I was going to tackle the issue of the rusting hubs (do people still call it the hat portion?). While the car was in the air and all the wheels were off, I followed these steps:

- Wire brushed off any current rust
- Covered my spacers in tape to use a mask for the face
- Cut out a cardboard template to mask off the rotor
- Taped off the caliper
- Sprayed the hub with matte black high temp paint (mostly because my spacers are also black)

Each hub got about 4 coats of paint and maybe took 20-30 minutes per corner.

No rust since and the job looks as good as it did the day I did it.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Finally got around to a proper wash and wax over this longer holiday weekend. Two bucket wash with Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo and a coat of Mothers California Gold Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner wax applied with my trusty Harbor Freight dual-action polisher with a white Chemical Guys Lake Country pad.