GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bäsemödel: 1.8 TSi Project

Tsi7

Ready to race!
ordered steering wheel cover with red thread and a new shift boot/trim ring to replace the peeling one i currently have. I've been cut on it a few times now and Im just tired of it. Im going to add red thread to that new boot provided it doesn't look tacky... couldn't find an auto shift boot/ring with red thread already for what I wanted to spend...

I have a few freelance gigs coming up here soon so Im hoping to do tires and a downpipe before spring... also throwing around the idea of euro tails... and i still want to do bilstien B8s... all depends on how freelancing goes... :D

Very interested to see how the steering wheel will turn out :). Also, you just gave me the idea to add white stitching to my shift boot. I've seen some pictures of manual mk7 shifters and it doesn't appear tacky at all

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
there are shift boot/trim ring combos for sale on Ali for $50 that have white stitching done already. If you dont want to do it yourself...

Chimuel

Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 971 Turbo ST
I purchased the OEM housings/trim rings and harness from Mr. Kromz above. When they were in his car, they were run off a relay, power direct from battery and with a switch in the cabin. I am doing something similar with one major difference. I have a euro switch installed with fog capabilities. I have the "fog lights" assigned to an unused channel on the BCM (it is unused in coding but it sill has a pin present). This channel, when active, sends 12v to the relay which powers the fogs. This is as close to an OEM setup as I can get being that I have the low line BCM which DOES NOT have the pin out to support fog lights. I hope that made a shred of sense...

Hi, can you give me more details on this? I am also going to install foglights on my 2015 GSW S and my VCDS scan doesn't show a checkbox next to "front fog lights". Another question I have is that if this will conflict with my plan of installing rear fogs?

EDIT:

I wanted to add more detail as to what parts I do have:
Front Fog Light Pair and all vent grills to match
Euroswitch with aftermarket light sensor -> I need to run a wire from Pin 5 of this to A29 on the BCM
HEX+CAN cable and VCDS for coding
Euro Outer tails, I will modify the inners for foglight function

Thank you!

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Chimuel, since my only experience is with OBD11 as opposed to VCDS, im not quite sure what you are looking at.

Heres a quick hit of what I did:
1 - run a wire from my euro switch to pin A29 on the BCM to allow control of the front and rear fog light light
2 - go to long coding helper for Cen elec which is 16 I believe. Look for byte 7. check off switch with rear fog and front fog. this tells the car that a switch that can address fog lights has been installed. The real problem with our cars is that the cars computer doesnt have the pins to supply power to rear fogs or front fogs; this requires you to get creative with powering them.
3 - supply power for rear fog according to this thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7030830-Rear-Fog-Light-Retrofit
4 - supply power for front fogs using a relay driven by the battery. The fogs connect to the relay and to ground. A 12v control line goes to the switch from a channel on the BCM. I chose to kill power to the "side lights" which are on the outside edges of the taillights and to instead use the power from that BCM pin to trigger the relay thus turning on the fogs.

hope that provides some extra info!

Chimuel

Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 971 Turbo ST
Thanks for the info!

On my Euro outer tail lights, I do not have the little LED markers on the side so I now have purpose for the power there!

I found another thread which repurposed the driver's side reverse signal to be the rear fog and then jumpered that connection to the passenger side for dual rear fogs. Then another jumper from the passenger side reverse to the driver's side to restore the driver's side.

I'll have to recheck that link you sent me, sometimes I can see the photos but currently I can't due to photobucket! But I did see that post before and have it bookmarked.

Really appreciate your time explaining things to me, I am still waiting on some misc parts (screws and crimps to make my own repair wires).

On VCDS I have the screen as shown here: http://i.imgur.com/lcjtjql.png

But the bit in the red box for me does not exist, maybe if I connect Pin 5 from my switch to A29 on the BCM it will show up?

Chimuel

Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 971 Turbo ST
Hi Basemodel, can you detail how you switch the front fogs on and off? Do you have your relay controlled by the headlight knob in the dash or do you have a separate switch installed?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Hi Basemodel, can you detail how you switch the front fogs on and off? Do you have your relay controlled by the headlight knob in the dash or do you have a separate switch installed?

So I used the “side lights” channel on the BCM. It’s the lamps that are on the outside of your taillights. Mine are smoked so l didn’t want them anyway.

I ran a line from that pin of the BCM to a relay. When the euro switch is set to “fogs on”, that BCM channel becomes hot and sends 12V to the relay which activates. The “power in” on the relay comes from one of the battery taps on the fuse block. Not from a fuse (which you could do if you want) but from the battery taps. With the relay active, power goes to the fog lights from the battery. The fog lamps are also grounded to any available grounding point. The power to and ground from the lamps were all in the cable loom that l got.

Since the car has been told that “side lights” are now “fog lights”, the fogs operate with standard NAR rules and shut off when your high beams are on thereby allowing you to pass inspection.

You could also use the left or right reverse light lead if you didn’t want to use the side lights. However, doing this would require you to run a power line from which ever reverse light you REUSED to the one that is still powered.

l don’t recall which pin of the BCM it was but it was listed in DV52’s lighting channel document which one controls the side lights. The coding was done with OBD11

Chimuel

Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 971 Turbo ST
Thanks but I think you are talking about the Rear fog lights, I am asking about the Front ones.

I did find that document so that should help give me more guidance too! I really appreciate your time!

EDIT: Ahh, so DV52's PDF did come to the rescue. So now I think I understand it, my game plan is to use the channel 2SL V VLB10 Left Side Marker Lamp to trigger a relay powered by the battery to turn on/off the FRONT fog lights. Then I will be using 3SL VRB21 Right Side Marker Lamp to be able to turn on the REAR fog lights.

Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Thanks but I think you are talking about the Rear fog lights, I am asking about the Front ones.

I did find that document so that should help give me more guidance too! I really appreciate your time!

EDIT: Ahh, so DV52's PDF did come to the rescue. So now I think I understand it, my game plan is to use the channel 2SL V VLB10 Left Side Marker Lamp to trigger a relay powered by the battery to turn on/off the FRONT fog lights. Then I will be using 3SL VRB21 Right Side Marker Lamp to be able to turn on the REAR fog lights.

I was talking about fronts. Use the left reverse light for the rear fog instead. Otherwise youll be running a cable to the rear of the car. If you have another project that requires you to tear all the trim out, then it might be worth it but otherwise, id just use an existing wire like the reverse light.

good luck!

Tov Potap

An easier way of getting the darn fog lights to work using the OEM Euro light switch. I couldn't handle it and went full OCD, got a higher level BCM (second time was the charm), had it reprogrammed, and had the fogs connect the OEM way. Much more pricey this way as well, mind you. I will use the sunken cost fallacy, and say it was totally worth it! lol

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
You should add heated seats then too! Now that you have the highline, you can do anything!

Chimuel

Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 971 Turbo ST
An easier way of getting the darn fog lights to work using the OEM Euro light switch. I couldn't handle it and went full OCD, got a higher level BCM (second time was the charm), had it reprogrammed, and had the fogs connect the OEM way. Much more pricey this way as well, mind you. I will use the sunken cost fallacy, and say it was totally worth it! lol
What was the part number for your BCM?

Chimuel

Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 971 Turbo ST
I was able to install the foglights (got new trim with the chrome strip as well). I wired up the foglights to pins C3 and C9 (rear blinkers but for LED tail lights which I do not have) and am now working my way to coding the lights in.

EDIT: Here is the code I set up for those using VCDS. I shortened Leuchte17TFL R BLK SRB3TFL R BLK SRKC3 to C3 and Leuchte16BLK SLB25BLK SL KC9 to C9

I am now having issues with the circuit fault protection that shuts off my fog lights after they are on for ~1 min... they are currently incandescent bulbs that I planned of changing to LEDs in the future but I guess I'll have to do that sooner than planned! Hopefully this works out, if not I'll probably use the side marker light circuit.

Code:
C9 - Lasstyp set to 23 allgemeine Scheinwerfer
C9 - Lampendefektbitposition set to 38
C9 - Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC set to 22
C9 - Lichtfunktion A - Set to Nebellicht links
C9 - Lichtfunktion B - Set to Abbiegelicht links
C9 - Lichtfunktion C through H - Set to Not Active
C9 - Dimmwert AB - Set to 100
C9 - Dimming Direction AB - Set to maximize
C9 - Dimmwert CD, EF, GH - Set to 0
C9 - Lichtansteuerung HD AB - Set to Always

C3 - Lasstyp set to 23 allgemeine Scheinwerfer