GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your Engine failures

55belairgasser

Passed Driver's Ed
2015 GTI, had 23800 miles on it when the CEL popped on, Stage 1 APR tune since 4000 miles. The car was running at low RPM when it started. I changed the plugs thinking that could be the problem. Had it towed into Dealership. After three days with multiple checks and driving they told me #3 piston dropped parts into the oil pan. The dealership said it was the third motor they had seen with dropping a piston. All 15's and all #3 piston. Tech said it was a high boost low RPM problem that was causing the issue. Dealership said the tune had nothing to do with the problem and they contacted VW of A on my behalf and new motor and turbo replaced on there dime. Dealership took the tune out for the break in period and then put it back on for me after 4.5K miles. No issue with it since.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
2015 GTI, had 23800 miles on it when the CEL popped on, Stage 1 APR tune since 4000 miles. The car was running at low RPM when it started. I changed the plugs thinking that could be the problem. Had it towed into Dealership. After three days with multiple checks and driving they told me #3 piston dropped parts into the oil pan. The dealership said it was the third motor they had seen with dropping a piston. All 15's and all #3 piston. Tech said it was a high boost low RPM problem that was causing the issue. Dealership said the tune had nothing to do with the problem and they contacted VW of A on my behalf and new motor and turbo replaced on there dime. Dealership took the tune out for the break in period and then put it back on for me after 4.5K miles. No issue with it since.

Your dealer sounds awesome.

Is there a general consensus for what we're considering early 2015? I still have to check out my build date and turbo revision, but it's something I'd like to keep an eye on.

Hoon

Autocross Champion

You probably have the best dealer on the planet.

SRQ_MK6

Ready to race!

uhhhhhh I used to live in Bradenton and never had a good experience with any dealers around there. Was this the one off of 41? I think that is Bob boast or something like that.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Yeah what dealer was that?!
There are not too many great ones in the Tampa Bay area in my opinion.

Not totally the same but I just had a buddy who's late 2014 GTI motor went.
Totally stock at around 40,000 miles.
I'll see if I can get some details.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

Which dealer is that so I can drive across the country every time I need a service to go there?

GTI Dude 11

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
gti

Wow you are extremely lucky and your dealer sounds amazing. Mine was cold start, low rpm immediate check engine light. Never had any issue. Like you I thought it was a spark plug/ coil. But after changing that at the dealer my cylinder 4 was zero compression. My service advisor told me they had multiple GTI's with engine failures already. However in my case the APR stage 1 tune was the reason why my claim wasn't covered. I spoke to VW of A but they said because it was tuned they would not cover anything.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Unfortunately not in Direct Injection motors. Doesn't mean I don't flog mine once the oil is warmed up though :)

An Italian tune up is supposed to be the thing that does work for a direct injected engine.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Fuck it, I’m driving mine like I stole it. I babied my previous car and it kept breaking down anyway.
Occasionally I’ll drop it in 4th on interstate and drive it at 4500-5000 rpm for 20 min to get the carbon off the valves.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Unfortunately not in Direct Injection motors. Doesn't mean I don't flog mine once the oil is warmed up though :)

Fuck it, I’m driving mine like I stole it. I babied my previous car and it kept breaking down anyway.
Occasionally I’ll drop it in 4th on interstate and drive it at 4500-5000 rpm for 20 min to get the carbon off the valves.

Parabola's method is considered the proper Italian tune up for DI cars. Lots of tech articles to support it. Pretty much the goal is to get the valves really hot (350C? cant remember what the article I read last said). Once they reach that temp, the valves will start shedding the carbon build up.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Parabola's method is considered the proper Italian tune up for DI cars. Lots of tech articles to support it. Pretty much the goal is to get the valves really hot (350C? cant remember what the article I read last said). Once they reach that temp, the valves will start shedding the carbon build up.

I think it was Fed that posted a link to the VW patent submission or something recommending an Italian tune up. I think it spec'd a lower RPM though. It's early so I'm not remembering super clearly haha.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG

With VW's sophisticated thermal management is it possible to get temps that high for extended periods?

A good point of reference is that most Euro cars don't seem to have this issue. It could be our American landscape and commuter traffic that contributes to the excessive carbon build up. I would imagine people in the US that put a lot of highway miles on with long journey's will be less prone than those of us who drive in the City.

Not having been to Europe, not sure what their driving habits are, but it seems they have more opportunity to drive swiftly and "open her up" more than we do.

Just a thought..

Hoon

Autocross Champion
With VW's sophisticated thermal management is it possible to get temps that high for extended periods?

A good point of reference is that most Euro cars don't seem to have this issue. It could be our American landscape and commuter traffic that contributes to the excessive carbon build up. I would imagine people in the US that put a lot of highway miles on with long journey's will be less prone than those of us who drive in the City.

Not having been to Europe, not sure what their driving habits are, but it seems they have more opportunity to drive swiftly and "open her up" more than we do.

Just a thought..

Our cars (and several others) have dual injection on the euro models, much like Toyota and Ford are doing here.

They'll never have an issue.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Our cars (and several others) have dual injection on the euro models, much like Toyota and Ford are doing here.

They'll never have an issue.

The Euro MK7 does, but earlier Gen's didn't. I'm talking as a whole not just the MK7 as carbon deposits have been an issue since the introduction of the DI engines.

Last edited: