GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Daytime Running Lights & Fog Lights?

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
No, just fog, rain cases glare off the road for oncoming drivers. The police are having a blitz over hear in my area for people driving with fogs on when they are not needed.

Sadly over here across the pond, the police don't ever do anything about it.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
May I just comment that perhaps a reason we don't get as interesting a mix of cars in the US is likely because of the seriousness/understanding of road respect, manners and rules in the UK and ROW...this simple lighting discussion sheds light [pun intended] on how much more of a privilege driving is elsewhere in the world than the US, where it is seen as a rite of passage.

Probably the same reason we have crap lane discipline on our highways. Sorry for the thread jack--back to DRL fogs :)

Vento: You are probably correct - but as far as lighting is concerned, you guys in the land-of-the-free have a very special code from your Department of Transport (DoT) that must be included in all cars to be road legal. Stuff like brake lights that also operate as turn signals and restrictions as to how many headlight lamps are allowed to be illuminated at the same time make your cars very "special". That's why (I suspect) that there is a "special" version of Golf mk7 that's only sold in USA - North American Region (NAR) model. The other countries outside Europe use "Rest of World"(RoW) model.

Don

VentoGT

Ready to race!
Vento: You are probably correct - but as far as lighting is concerned, you guys in the land-of-the-free have a very special code from your Department of Transport (DoT) that must be included in all cars to be road legal. Stuff like brake lights that also operate as turn signals and restrictions as to how many headlight lamps are allowed to be illuminated at the same time make your cars very "special". That's why (I suspect) that there is a "special" version of Golf mk7 that's only sold in USA - North American Region (NAR) model. The other countries outside Europe use "Rest of World"(RoW) model.

Don

Yes, the DoT rules are likely more draconian than anything else--in this day and age it is foolish to artificially have different restrictions for different markets--the world [at least the first world] should agree to global standards so they can sell the same cars worldwide without these stupid restrictions.

Another fun DoT fact: Side blinkers are not required by law. WHAT? Possibly one of the more important safety features given the amount of multilane interstate highways in the US

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Word of warning: If you are going to code Fogs with DRLs make sure you don't run for more than 1 season (summer or winter, etc). Oxidation in Fog Light housing will be quite accelerated if left on all the time with DRLs and low beams.

alynch30

Passed Driver's Ed
sidepocket: In regards to the part of your post that I have bolded above, I made a suggestion to a colleague on Vortex a couple of days ago that might solve the problem. Below is a variant of my Vortex post including your DRL tweak suggestion.

The change makes the front fog lights act as DRLs and the fogs remain switched-on when the rotary light switch is in the auto position. The way that you switch-off the fogs with my tweak is pull-out the centre switch in the rotary light switch (i.e. the normal fog-on switch - becomes a fog-off switch with my tweak)

Cheers
Don

PS: please excuse the format that I have used in the picture- its the same format that I use in my Leuchte programming paper. I've shown the full 19 x Leuchte channels for each lamp (i.e. the Leuchte channel-set) for completeness.
PPS: I have taken the "old settings " in the table from an NAR model mk7 with LED fog lights (the original query on Vortex was from a USA colleague). If the car has incandescent fog lights, the dimming value for the AB alpha pair will be set to 100 (instead of 127) and the 3 x Set-up adaptation channels will be different (this doesn't matter for the purposes of the tweak)
PPPS: someone on Vortex asked me what happens in the blank parts of the "new settings" in the table - If any adaptation channel has a blank entry in "new settings", leave the setting unchanged

Thank you Don with this tweak I am able to have the desired behavior without having to ever touch the switch.

Auto (not pulled)
DRLs + Fogs on daytime
DRLs + Fogs + Low beams on nighttime

Last edited:

Bricktops

Passed Driver's Ed
If you have access to VCDS, the fogs can be coded to be on with the DRLs.

(5)-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion B 12 (from: not active - to: daytime running lights)
(5)-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion B 13 (from: not active - to: daytime running lights)

Keep in mind, this is a US-spec car with automatic headlights and Xenons. Also, at night, your headlights will come on and the fog lights will turn off automatically, so you'll have to activate the fog lights manually at that point.

Will this work with a 7.5 GTI ?