GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 inspection passing mods

Scandalous31

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey dudes. Just got my first GTI the other day. 2015 GTI Autobahn and I love it. I know the question of "what's the best beginner mods" has been asked to death but I see that some won't pass inspection. I'd like to make a list of things to do that won't interfere with inspection so I don't have to reverse anything. So, a stage 1 tune is a good start(?) and from there some nice mods would be...?

I already ordered a odb eleven [emoji6]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

m3lonbr3ad

Ready to race!
Hey dudes. Just got my first GTI the other day. 2015 GTI Autobahn and I love it. I know the question of "what's the best beginner mods" has been asked to death but I see that some won't pass inspection. I'd like to make a list of things to do that won't interfere with inspection so I don't have to reverse anything. So, a stage 1 tune is a good start(?) and from there some nice mods would be...?

I already ordered a odb eleven [emoji6]

You need to elaborate on what you mean by inspection. State inspection? VW dealership flagging TD1? etc... State inspection is different per state, so you need to look up your local regulation and go from there.

Scandalous31

Passed Driver's Ed
You need to elaborate on what you mean by inspection. State inspection? VW dealership flagging TD1? etc... State inspection is different per state, so you need to look up your local regulation and go from there.
Yeah. State. I live in NY and a down pipe wouldn't pass. I don't think a stage 2 tune would either. But, since this varies state to state, perhaps you're right. I should check my state's specific laws.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I'm in new york also.. is it true a downpipe won't pass? I thought they only do an obdII scan for codes. I don't remember them doing the smog test for years. I'm pretty sure 8 years ago I passed in my old car that was running a race header and exhaust. Has something changed recently?

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
You can pass with a downpipe. Just need to make sure you have only 1 fail in the obd scab. You can use a spacer or flash back to a stage 1 or use an AWE dp and don’t have to worry about anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Catback, slight drop (springs/shocks), sways, wheels/tires, stage 1, legal tint, engine/trans mounts, chassis braces (if you wish), properly coded LED taillights....pretty solid mod list to start with that will be fine at any inspection bay. The euro lights would take a dick inspector to fail by eye, just avoid pain in the ass shops.

With our new MA inspection system, we essentially became the strictest state in the country in terms of inspections. I mean they even put cameras in the bay NSA style. I know for a fact all these will not cause issues here so should be fine in NY. Still need confirmation on catted DPs, no one really knows yet but I'm sure they'll be ok.

You guys don't have the cameras in the bay like us. Why not just mod to your hearts desire and find a mod friendly inspection bay to slap on the sticker? Before this horseshit in MA, most did not care about mods as long as the car was safe to drive and not obnoxious (slammed, catless, etc).

Scandalous31

Passed Driver's Ed
Catback, slight drop (springs/shocks), sways, wheels/tires, stage 1, legal tint, engine/trans mounts, chassis braces (if you wish), properly coded LED taillights....pretty solid mod list to start with that will be fine at any inspection bay. The euro lights would take a dick inspector to fail by eye, just avoid pain in the ass shops.

With our new MA inspection system, we essentially became the strictest state in the country in terms of inspections. I mean they even put cameras in the bay NSA style. I know for a fact all these will not cause issues here so should be fine in NY. Still need confirmation on catted DPs, no one really knows yet but I'm sure they'll be ok.

You guys don't have the cameras in the bay like us. Why not just mod to your hearts desire and find a mod friendly inspection bay to slap on the sticker? Before this horseshit in MA, most did not care about mods as long as the car was safe to drive and not obnoxious (slammed, catless, etc).
Thanks for your reply. Great list. That's so dick that they have cameras in bays now where you are [emoji54] I'll ask around about mechanics who are cool but I'm not really in the car crowd, locally. I have a friend who is.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie

I’m in mass and people have passed this month with DPs in. The things they got strict about in mass are things they should of been checking for awhile. Safety things

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I’m in mass and people have passed this month with DPs in. The things they got strict about in mass are things they should of been checking for awhile. Safety things

That's good to hear. Still, I believe by the book, altering an emissions device (aka cat in the DP) is grounds for rejection. Especially since the cell count on aftermarket units is much less.

Doubt a friendly inspection bay will care as long as its catted but I bet more will be hesitant to pass it given that everything is documented via cameras.

I still hate the new system. Its a solution for a problem that doesn't exist (how many auto deaths in MA are due to modified or "unsafe" vehicles that weren't previously rejected on the old system?). They can reject for body rust for God sakes. Will just hurt poor people looking to get by with an old beater. But I digress...

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
That's good to hear. Still, I believe by the book, altering an emissions device (aka cat in the DP) is grounds for rejection. Especially since the cell count on aftermarket units is much less.

Doubt a friendly inspection bay will care as long as its catted but I bet more will be hesitant to pass it given that everything is documented via cameras.

I still hate the new system. Its a solution for a problem that doesn't exist (how many auto deaths in MA are due to modified or "unsafe" vehicles that weren't previously rejected on the old system?). They can reject for body rust for God sakes. Will just hurt poor people looking to get by with an old beater. But I digress...

I completely agree but I do see unsafe vehicles driving around all day. The real issue is if it’s just our state doing it it’s not gonna help. There needs to be a country wide effort

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I'd say the most critical mods are aspherical side mirrors, dogbone insert, rear sway bar, summer tires, and OBD11. Since you're in LI I'd be looking for a deal on lightweight 18*8.5 wheels to use with 235/40 18 summer tires since you can't run them year round.

If you choose to go for lowering springs, the sway bar becomes less important.

Scandalous31

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd say the most critical mods are aspherical side mirrors, dogbone insert, rear sway bar, summer tires, and OBD11. Since you're in LI I'd be looking for a deal on lightweight 18*8.5 wheels to use with 235/40 18 summer tires since you can't run them year round.

If you choose to go for lowering springs, the sway bar becomes less important.
Nice. Thank you [emoji106]

VentoGT

Ready to race!

Tell me about it...I had to peel the tint on my old S8 because it was 2% below legal. Massholes in Taxachusetts