GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI aftermarket headlights

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
Hi folks,

This is my first post here :)
I purchased a bog standard manual MK7 GTI end of summer from the local VW dealer in my hometown.
As I had just sold my MK2 Seat Leon a day before the purchase - I could not afford to wait 3 months for a custom build.
I opted for a light metallic silver 5 door without the LP.

A couple of months ago I upgraded the taillights to the OEM GTI led's (should have taken an R set) but I am very pleased with it.

I've been thinking of upgrading the halogens to OEM or aftermarket Bi-Xenon's but the whole AFS and headlight washer issue is stopping me from going ahead with the upgrade.

I've done some research and found that 25w bulbs that output up to 2000 lumens do not require washers or automatic leveling.
If I go with OEM headlights I don't see such a fit possible (and they'll set me back a fortune to purchase and install, excluding washers and AFS)
But going with a set of Ed's headlights - this might be possible.

So, I have a few questions:
1. Does anyone know where I could source 25w xenon bulbs and ballasts in H7 or D2H fittings?
2. High beam on the Ed's headlights - are they engaged via tilting the shutter in the projector or is it via an external halogen bulb like in the Helix's?
3. What is your general opinion on this type of upgrade? I'd like to be as legal and road worthy as possible

Cheers,
David

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
2. High beams are from main beam bixenon projector shutter and inner auxiliary projector together
3. You can use halogen h7 bulbs for passing road test, and switch back to 35w xenons. I ran halogens in these projectors for few days and didn't notice much improvement compared to standard lights.
Xenons are other story. Installed Morimoto D2h kit, and now they might even be brighter compared to Oem xenon lights.

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
Thanks for the response!

I like your suggestion regarding the halogen switch out for MoT (although I do not need to test the car for the next three years as its new on the raod). It's more about the road testers that I'm afraid of :)

BTW - does the manual beam level function on the Ed's?

copperbricks

Ready to race!
To clarify your car already had that leveling switch and after installing eds replicas it still worked for vertical adjustment? I have Eds reps and have been thinking about a away to retrofit a knob like that for when I've got lots of stuff in my trunk

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
[FONT=&quot]Welcome to the forum![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]OEM is not as expensive as it was a few years ago. It is a painful process going full AFS. I can’t speak to the washer system. OEM lights with modules, harness, AFS module and sensor (used) it cost me about $1,300. The retrofit is a lot of work. I had Ed's previous to the OEM LP retrofit. My opinion having both I [/FONT][FONT=&quot]definitely would not purchase the OEM lights if I was not interested in the AFS functionality that turn with pitch, speed and steering input putting the light where it needs to be. I would just use Ed’s lights and adjust properly. Ed’s may not be as pretty when looked at from the engine bay, and are a little susceptible to vibration (tend to bounce more) and I prefer the softer edge of the light from the OEM. However, the LED blinker, double U DRL, cost and ease of install outweigh these minor quibbles. Just my opinion. Sounds like a good way to go of Ed’s and either limiting to 2000 lumens or doing swaps between xenon to halogen when necessary. With Ed’s you have the freedom to go either way and have a great looking headlight that works well.[/FONT]

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
Hi George,

Thank you for your comment!
I very much agree with everything you have mentioned. Obviously OEM quality cannot be beaten, but the Ed's do look just a touch better with the LED indicators and the 2nd illuminating DRL.
The option to change out the bulbs in the Ed's units are also another pro against OEMs just because of the lack of compliance without the washers and AFS.

On the other hand, the slight vibration from the aftermarket units is something that might play around with my OCD :) and my MK2 Leon had AFS - its hard to step back from it.

I live in Israel, and we have crazy import fees.
Ed's would cost me around 1200 USD after shipping and tax.
OEM with all the needed parts would cost me around 2500-3000 USD after shipping tax.

I have a local installer that can source all parts and install the OEM's for around 3000 USD.
This excludes washers - still need to find out if it includes AFS sensor, controller and wiring harness.

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
Just got an email from Ed - his replicas are not EC certified, although they do meet the spec. This means that I cannot import them - what a bummer. I really liked the look, features and feedback they got.
Perhaps OEM's with lower power bulbs and ballasts may do the job. I'll continue to research.

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
To clarify your car already had that leveling switch and after installing eds replicas it still worked for vertical adjustment? I have Eds reps and have been thinking about a away to retrofit a knob like that for when I've got lots of stuff in my trunk

Exactly, there are leveling motors in headlights

yowalter

Passed Driver's Ed
I've heard good things about Ed's, and generally I think the consensus is that Ed's or Helix are the best options. I went with Helix:

With both you'll get a "w" shaped DRL rather than just one U. I just put in an HID kit yesterday, but install required drilling a 25mm hole in the cover for wiring. Some people have found Ed's or Helix lights with HID kits pre-installed.

High beams on Helix lights are halogens, low beams are swapped from your old units

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yowalter

Passed Driver's Ed
Install was also easy and trouble-free, for the most part. For the HID kit itself, OPT7 had really good prices and generally a faithful following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk