GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
MK7.5.

Looking at some new videos on YouTube of the upgrades, had a few thoughts.
Below are two that I have found.

1. I am ok with the digital upgrades. The center screen is good. Not sure why the gauge cluster screen looks out of focus and the lines are not sharp. Does not look like the Audi TT screen. The colors also look almost blue and pink. Maybe just bad video lighting.
2. Tail lights. I still have stock but like current Euro lights. Have seen in person and worth the upgrade. I also like the 7.5 upgrade. Different but still fits the car. Dynamic turn signal works well. Wonder if after market here?
3. Head lights. I like the modern options but not the shape of the DRL and red stripe. The current GTI's red stripe flows well, this does not. Looks too much like an Audi which is nice but it is not an Audi.
4. Front bumper. I do not like in video. Maybe in person better. Looks to much cartoon like. Like the headlights, does not fit the car. The tail lights fit better.
Still a good. We but two items are off on design I feel.

Also, if you are making a video, clean in front of gauge cluster screen.
Might be at a car show, but bring a micro fiber cloth. Think!

https://youtu.be/cSENLW9ftkw

https://youtu.be/cT5EjkKNiL4

https://youtu.be/iqM_G849ifc

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
For me 1 year 11 months.

Rainy Saturday today and on way to town noticed driver side wiper leaving a gap in the middle. Put wipers in maintenance position and found the wiper is tearing at the flex point just under arm attachment point.

Unlike some others I have not had any issues with OE wipers so I ordered a full set (fronts and rear) of OE's from ECS Tuning.

Attached is video on changing for anyone who wants to review.

Pretty straight forward. Mine should be in this week.

Update: easiest wiper install ever. Replaced all, up and running.

https://youth.be/hdj7vmMNua4

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
On Black Friday I ordered a set of the blue, curved side mirror from ECS Tuning. Installed this weekend now that it has warmed up some.
The install is not hard just need to work slowly as to not break the OE mirror. I tilted all the way forward and used a plastic trim tool in one had and a finger on the other side to pull top part off. I found once half way off it was better to tilt mirror back to vertical and then work down one side and around to remove.

How are they? Interesting.
Some have said the blue is not that noticeable, but on a cloudy Saturday it was darker than I expected. On a sunny day it is good and at night the blue does not show up much as everything is black. On the cloudy day I noticed the reflection from the side vents more. This causes a little depth perception issue at times.

The mirrors are much better to see blind spots. When a normal size sedan is next to me on driver side I can see the front of the car to my left and still see the rear of the car in my side mirror. Greatly reduces blind spot. Right side mirror view is also much improved.

Taking a little getting used to it. The distortion at the curved end is taking some practice to get familiar with it. But the better view is worth it.

The Blue? At night helps with glare. More just getting used to it.
If you think the blue is not needed, then they have clear.

Overall - good mod.

Not sure why the drive side has a dash line and the passenger side has a solid line. What for?:confused: Color in picture looks different but I think it is the camera and light maybe. Look the same when using.

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

IMG_3082.JPG

Update:
Installed picture.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
When German Autohaus (Chattanooga) did the work on my front spring bearings and mounts, the mechanic also noticed the springs just below the tighter windings on the top of the springs was touching at times. He felt this might be causing some noise in the right situation and suggested I add another spring insulator (rubber wrap) just below the current OE ones from Eibach. I contacted Eibach and had a good talk with the Sales Technician and ordered a few more rubber insulators. Installed on Saturday and have noticed they seem to help. In low speed turns it seems to be smoother. This would not help a normally wound spring as they have more spacing. With the Eibach Pro kit the upper part has tighter windings and they touch when car is loaded (at rest).

Below is a link to the Springs Bearing work if interested.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=391439&postcount=688

IMG_3205.JPG

Eibach.jpg

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
For Cyber Monday a while back I wanted to purchase and bright finish aluminum oil filter housing. I like the ones with the rib cooling design but on that day did not see any in stock. I purchased a black one from CTS Turbo and took time this week to install. This is a good mod, as it is easy, looks good and is fun to do. While installing I used a new oil filter and o-ring I purchased on the same day. What is benefit? Likely not much. The housing might hold up longer and not crack if installed wrong. I am sure the cooling fins dissipate heat better but with the engine trying to maintain an oil temp, not sure what the filters help might be. Might help oil perform best over a longer time period. Maybe.

Fit and finish is great. Screws in just like OE.

Bottom line - it looks good!:cool:
I have the DSG filter housing also. Not sure if I will change yet or when DSG oil is changed at 40,000. I am at 33,000 now. The DSG filter is not in the open so the visual part is not noticed. But might help on DSG heat dissipation more.

IMG_3208.JPG

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3211.JPG

IMG_3218.JPG

IMG_3217.JPG

IMG_3224.JPG

Last edited:

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Looks nice bud! Presume it's the same socket size as stock? 32mm I believe? How do you think the finish on top (particularly around the edges where the socket fits) will hold up to multiple filter changes?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Looks nice bud! Presume it's the same socket size as stock? 32mm I believe? How do you think the finish on top (particularly around the edges where the socket fits) will hold up to multiple filter changes?

I like the finish.
I think the black may come off with repeated use of the 32mm socket as it is not NASA grade. I might tape over in future to protect when removing.
Yes, used the same socket. Fits just like the OE cap. Just pull guts out of the OE and change over. I installed filter and used it to push in place. Easier than I thought it would be on getting it in place.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I like the finish.
I think the black may come off with repeated use of the 32mm socket as it is not NASA grade. I might tape over in future to protect when removing.
Yes, used the same socket. Fits just like the OE cap. Just pull guts out of the OE and change over. I installed filter and used it to push in place. Easier than I thought it would be on getting it in place.
Thanks! Good idea with the tape...hopefully the socket will still fit. :)

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
For Cyber Monday a while back I wanted to purchase and bright finish aluminum oil filter housing. I like the ones with the rib cooling design but on that day did not see any in stock. I purchased a black one from CTS Turbo and took time this week to install. This is a good mod, as it is easy, looks good and is fun to do. While installing I used a new oil filter and
o-ring I purchased on the same day. What is benefit? Likely not much. The housing might hold up longer and not crack if installed wrong. I am sure the cooling fins dissipate heat better but with the engine trying to maintain an oil temp, not sure what the filters help might be. Might help oil perform best over a longer time period. Maybe.

Fit and finish is great. Screws in just like OE.

Bottom line - it looks good!:cool:
I have the DSG filter housing also. Not sure if I will change yet or when DSG oil is changed at 40,000. I am at 33,000 now. The DSG filter is not in the open so the visual part is not noticed. But might help on DSG heat dissipation more.

View attachment 14482

View attachment 14483

View attachment 14484

View attachment 14485

View attachment 14486

View attachment 14487

How's your oil temperatures look now?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
How's your oil temperatures look now?

This is the thing that would be hard to tell.
In cold temps the oil is around 210F in the past.
In warmest weather around 230F.
The first day filter was on with 60F temps oil was 220F in city driving.
If it helps anything, maybe recovery time from a heated run. Help dissipate heat. I do not think a big mod to help change running temps.
But I might be wrong. If others have more expertise, would be nice if they share.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah I didn't expect a big difference.

I think if anyone wants to see a difference in oil temperatures this is likely a good passive way to go:

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Engin...saJ8T7vNqrBIgQM9lwGA4mtG4C8XhVJojcaAu5i8P8HAQ

I have looked at that pan for a long time.
We have had many discussions here about it.
Most feel the cooling fins and extra 1 liter of oil does not help.
I think it would help engine longevity.
Do you think you will try?

The other one I like is the ECS Tuning SS oil pan.
Not sure if it increases volume or just strength.
Also wonder what weight gain is for SS.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I have looked at that pan for a long time.
We have had many discussions here about it.
Most feel the cooling fins and extra 1 liter of oil does not help.
I think it would help engine longevity.
Do you think you will try?

The other one I like is the ECS Tuning SS oil pan.
Not sure if it increases volume or just strength.
Also wonder what weight gain is for SS.
That's odd... I'd think that since the oil pan sits in the airstream below the car it'd help with oil temperatures at least a little bit.

Though at that price it's a no go for me. I think that it'd help those who track their cars since it does indeed increase the oil capacity by about 1 liter. For daily driving I think the OEM steel pan and a panzer belly pan would be best to avoid cracked oil pans.

The Ecs pan also looks like a fantastic pan :)

If at all necessary, if you want to improve cooling I'd first investigate in what
Volkswagen and Audi did, since they did develope advanced cooling measures.
Some (or most with DSG) 7 R, GTI Clubsport, Audi TT and S3 come with dual
auxiliary radiators. I have no doubt they did this for a reason, and I also have
no doubt they know better about their own engines' requirements than ANY
aftermarket vendor.