GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBDELEVEN

bruxwillix

Ready to race!

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Where is this long coding everybody talks about?

Stickman: Not sure that every is talking about long coding, but here's how to access the function - in this example, the objective is to change the start-up screen for the MIB unit by modifying the long coding on the Information Control unit1 module @ address hex5F (it's the unit inside the glove box with the CD /DVD player).

Every control module listed in the first screen has an identical second screen - so accessing long coding is exactly the same for all the other modules. You can also get direct access to individual Bytes in the long coding section by pressing the box on the top RHS of the third screen that says 0/1. This gets you access to screens like the one below - so you can directly change the boxes for any Byte

Don

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Looking for coding on how to making the fog lights come on with main lights. I have them running alongside DRLs but I want them on all the time. Any help?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Skwangtang: Hi try this

Left front fog light
Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion B 12 > only if existing setting is "not active", change to "Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)"

Right front fog light
Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion B 13 >only if existing setting is "not active", change to "Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)"

Don

icefox1

I'm not an expert at this (obviously, lol), maybe the more experienced guys can chime in, but I'll try (out of memory) anyway.
Go to Central Electrics > (9) Daytime running lights, then click on "Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung AUTO"
If set to "active" the DRL's won't come on in the off position, only the Auto position. If it is set to "not active", then the DRL's will always work, even when the headlight switch is off.

The English translation to the German setting is:

Daytime running lights only in switch position AUTO

Dear Sir/Madam.. you may be my savior.

I'm a new owner of a US GTI and OBDEleven. I don't know anything about coding. I just used an app to "Dim DRL when signaling". After that my DRL goes completely off (It used to be on when ignition is on and lighting is at the off position; my car doesn't have auto lighting) and that's horrible!

I then used another app to enable DRL control in head unit but the new option won't work (checking the box doesn't bring back DRL). I then used the previous app to set DRL to be off when signaling, which was supposed to be the initial setting, and DRL is still not back.

Do you or anyone know how I can fix it? Can you please be specific about the steps, for example I tried to go to Central Electronics but can't find (9) Daytime Running Light everywhere, and that German option is also not in the coding section of my OBDEleven. Also I tried resetting lighting settings but it doesn't work. Didn't try factory setting the entire car; will it work? Thanks!!

icefox1

Has anyone tried to code 'DRLs off when rotary switch in '0' position? I think these instructions are for VCDS and so not sure how to implement in my OBD11 (or if I need to know what the German translation is) but would like to (I have already activated DRL setting on the headunit). Thanks in advance

Select STG 09 (vehicle power)
STG access authorization -> Function 16
Enter access code 31347
STG adjustment -> function 10
Channel (9) - select daytime running lights only switch in the Auto position
Select " active"

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=254323&postcount=4

EDIT - I found a thread on vwwatercooled that says this tweak does nothing, i.e. DRLs stay on in 0 still, so stick to the 'DRL setting in headunit' tweak

I suffer from this problem now. Used the "Dim DRL when signaling" app and DRL goes off completely when lighting is set at off. Can you help me reverse it?

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI

I'm a new owner of a US GTI and OBDEleven. I don't know anything about coding. I just used an app to "Dim DRL when signaling". After that my DRL goes completely off (It used to be on when ignition is on and lighting is at the off position; my car doesn't have auto lighting) and that's horrible!

I then used another app to enable DRL control in head unit but the new option won't work (checking the box doesn't bring back DRL). I then used the previous app to set DRL to be off when signaling, which was supposed to be the initial setting, and DRL is still not back.

Do you or anyone know how I can fix it? Can you please be specific about the steps, for example I tried to go to Central Electronics but can't find (9) Daytime Running Light everywhere, and that German option is also not in the coding section of my OBDEleven. Also I tried resetting lighting settings but it doesn't work. Didn't try factory setting the entire car; will it work? Thanks!!

As I mentioned, I am also new to OBD 11. The person that will definitely be able to help you is DV52. He is much more versed in OBD 11 then I am, he helped me with a lot of things.
All that said, make sure you didn't make the same mistake I did. Make sure your hand brake is down when checking your daytime running lights. If you pull the hand brake up they will go OFF! (if that setting is set in the coding). It happened to me and drove me crazy. Go recheck your lights with the handbrake down, then let us know if you still have the same problem.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI

One thing I just realized, you mentioned you didn't have auto headlights. You then mentioned that you did the coding that gives the instruction to use the DRL's only with auto setting on headlights. If that is the case, you may never get your DRL's to come on if I am correct. I am not sure that if you don't have the auto headlight option if the coding won't do anything , or it will just shut them off as they did. . Therefore, go into the coding that tells the car to use DRL's with auto only, and reverse it. ( make it "not active")
Maybe DV52 can chime in on this? I don't want to send you in the wrong direction.

icefox1

As I mentioned, I am also new to OBD 11. The person that will definitely be able to help you is DV52. He is much more versed in OBD 11 then I am, he helped me with a lot of things.
All that said, make sure you didn't make the same mistake I did. Make sure your hand brake is down when checking your daytime running lights. If you pull the hand brake up they will go OFF! (if that setting is set in the coding). It happened to me and drove me crazy. Go recheck your lights with the handbrake down, then let us know if you still have the same problem.

Man!!! I completely forgot it.. my handbrake is up all this time. It's such a weird setting how handbrake disabled drl. So most likely there's nothing wrong! Gees.. thank you for the reminder.

BAZ3713

Passed Driver's Ed
Baz: Yeah, I always have troubles with Scottish accents, but they are easier to understand than our Aussie accents - not that any of my compatriots, or I have an accent!

As for your request, try the changes below - but only if the existing default settings on your car for ALL the Lichtfunktion channels shown below are not active. What the tweak will do is add what we call a "parking Light" function to the two front DRLs - so whenever the headlights are on, the DRLs will illuminate. I've suggested that you set the dimming level for the parking light function to 31% because this is what VW use as a factory setting, but you can choose any value you like in the two Dimmwert channels

Leuchte4TFL LB4
Lichtfunktion C 4> change from "not active" to "Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)"
Lichtfunktion D 4> leave as "not active"
Dimmwert CD 4> change from "0" to "31"
Dimming Direction CD > leave as "maximize"

Leuchte5 TFL RB32
Lichtfunktion C 5> change from "not active" to "Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)"
Lichtfunktion D 5 > leave as "not active"
Dimmwert CD 5 > change from "0" to "31"
Dimming Direction CD > leave as "maximize"

Don

I don

I tried this tonight and still no joy have you any other suggestions. ?

Thanks barry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I don

I tried this tonight and still no joy have you any other suggestions. ?

Thanks barry.

Barry: I'm most surprised that the tweak didn't work - odd! Can you post-up a copy of your history report for the Central electrics module -please? If you don't know how to do this, my instructions below explain the pocess

Don

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I suffer from this problem now. Used the "Dim DRL when signaling" app and DRL goes off completely when lighting is set at off. Can you help me reverse it?

Icefox: That's exactly why I recommend that no-one use OBD11's Apps - they can be very difficult to unwind if the tweak goes pear-shape and there is no useful information left by the App in the History file (the only record that the App leaves is a statement that the App was implemented- but no details at all)

So - as to your difficulty, the problem is that we now need to figure-out what the App actually changed in your Central electric module. hmm........... first you need to confirm what sort of DRL fitting you have on your car - halogen, Angel-eyes or double angel-eyes?

Don

BAZ3713

Passed Driver's Ed
Barry: I'm most surprised that the tweak didn't work - odd! Can you post-up a copy of your history report for the Central electrics module -please? If you don't know how to do this, my instructions below explain the pocess

Don

Hi don

I think I may be confusion this issue a little bit, I onestly thought my DRLs were the turning lamps/fog lights, I didn't realise that the DRLs were built into the headlights. I feel so stupid now that I have been looking in the wrong area, I would like my turning lamps/ fog lights on all the time but in UK it is illegal unless visibility is reduced.
A do appreciate all your help.
Thanks barry.

kkingma

Ready to race!
I've been playing with my OBDeleven for a couple days.

I'm an iPhone user so I had to make accommodations. I bought a prepaid Android from Best Buy ($30) and was using that with my OBDeleven. The menu loads were taking forever in my driveway so I used my iPhone as a hotspot. This sped the performance greatly.

Hopes this helps someone.

BAZ3713

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been playing with my OBDeleven for a couple days.

I'm an iPhone user so I had to make accommodations. I bought a prepaid Android from Best Buy ($30) and was using that with my OBDeleven. The menu loads were taking forever in my driveway so I used my iPhone as a hotspot. This sped the performance greatly.

Hopes this helps someone.

I never knew you could use the iPhone to hotspot an android device , thanks gr8 news [emoji1303]