GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Homelink Mirror....anyone install an aftermarket one?

italynstylion

Ready to race!
Yes, I'm aware of the double apex unit...no it won't work for my use. Unfortunately it won't work with my gate. Fun times.

So that leaves me with no other option but to install a legitimate Homelink unit in the car. I think I'm going to opt to go the mirror route since that would mean way less things I have to take apart. I believe I'll simply need power to the unit that should be readily available at the existing mirror.

Has anyone done this yet? I searched and didn't see anything but I can't imagine we're all driving around with janky garage door remotes on our visors... :rolleyes:

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
Yes, I'm aware of the double apex unit...no it won't work for my use. Unfortunately it won't work with my gate. Fun times.

So that leaves me with no other option but to install a legitimate Homelink unit in the car. I think I'm going to opt to go the mirror route since that would mean way less things I have to take apart. I believe I'll simply need power to the unit that should be readily available at the existing mirror.

Has anyone done this yet? I searched and didn't see anything but I can't imagine we're all driving around with janky garage door remotes on our visors... :rolleyes:

Ha, I literally just posted this elsewhere for someone asking. I'm not totally sure on the R and it will depend on what sensors you have, so, definitely do some more checking, but for the Golf Se with the Rainsensing wipers and auto headlights, this works.

There is also a post floating around here where someone did just simply tap into power up in the light/switch area as well.

I ordered this. http://www.keffervwparts.com/p/Volk...Mirror-with-HomeLink/66841915/000072548C.html Best price I could find. Plus they are a participating dealer in the rebate program, so you can get 12% more off. https://www.volkswagenrebates.com

It comes with the harness. The harness needs to be run from the new mirror, across the headliner, down the a pilllar and behind the headlight switch where it plugs in to the current switch harness and extends to the switch. All plug and play. The a pillar was the most difficult, dealing with the security clips on it, but there is a way to do it that's really not technically too difficult, just a bit of a pain. Then, like I said, the cable and mount covers just need a couple minutes of breaking the ridges off before it will snap on again.

A Pillar removal http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6481

Description of the process. Ignore most of the back and forth as I and some others were confused by the various part numbers. Something is screwed up in the VW database I'm assuming or the descriptions just aren't correct. The C version worked. http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26455

Ah here is the thread from Vortex. It was in the Golf/GTI sub. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...homelink-mirror-retrofit&highlight=000072548c

italynstylion

Ready to race!

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
I just installed 2 of the E versions of the VW mirror (non-rain sensing wipers). They are awesome and the install is pretty simple. The mirrors are actual VW parts and are assembled in the states.

I'm not sure about your gate, but they work great on both of my doors. They were around $210 each.

italynstylion

Ready to race!
I just installed 2 of the E versions of the VW mirror (non-rain sensing wipers). They are awesome and the install is pretty simple. The mirrors are actual VW parts and are assembled in the states.

I'm not sure about your gate, but they work great on both of my doors. They were around $210 each.

I have rain sensing wipers....is there one that would work for me? If so, can you post a link?

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
I believe the rain sensing version is the one from Sherifftruman's post. Keep in mind I have the plain Jane versions, and the 000072548E was mine. It looks like the 000072548C version is for all the rain sensing versions except DAP, but I think it may work for those as well from some forum searches I did.

If you read Sheriff's quoted post with the 000072548C in the link, there's a bunch of info there. The link is below. VW's part site says not for rain sensing or auto dimming; there's a lot of forum information out there that says differently. If you do an internets seach of the part # you'll find some pretty cheap prices and some of the sites confirm that the "C" version is the correct one.

Unless I misread, I believe you may be able to use the pre-existing wiring on some models, which would save the a-frame cover removal, but again, I can't personally vouch for that.

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2016_GTI/Enhanced-Rear-View-Mirror-with-HomeLink/66841915/000072548C.html

Cozmo58

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk
The C version works with rain sensing wipers. I installed one and it works great. Ordered from kefferVW

italynstylion

Ready to race!
The C version works with rain sensing wipers. I installed one and it works great. Ordered from kefferVW

I was just reading through the thread you posted in actually. I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Can you comment on how the mirror base needs to be modified? That's the only thing that sounded like it wasn't plug and play.

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
I was just reading through the thread you posted in actually. I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Can you comment on how the mirror base needs to be modified? That's the only thing that sounded like it wasn't plug and play.

The mirror base needs no modification, it's the two covers. Just break the reinforcing struts or whatever you want to call them, off. Might even be able to just do the long piece that covers the wire, but I did both.

Cozmo58

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk

I didn't have to modify anything, the wiring all fit inside the stock wire covers.

I did the install in a parking lot at work. with no tools.

italynstylion

Ready to race!
Thank you everyone for the help. I was extremely cautious doing the install to make sure I didn't break/mar/or scuff anything in the process. Now that I know how all the pieces come out I'm sure I could do it much much quicker. The unit works great on both my garage door and our gate so I'm VERY pleased! This means I don't have to clip the janky openers that rattle to my visor! :)

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
Glad to hear. We both love ours... hard to beat for the money. I'm not usually a fan of auto dimming mirrors, but these dim very well and quickly.

italynstylion

Ready to race!
I'm just really happy I was able to keep it looking OEM (I guess it technically IS OEM). Nice to have the cupholder back as well since it had the gate opener in it due to it not fitting on the sun visor.

I haven't driven it at night yet so I can't comment on the auto dimming feature but I'm excited to see it in action. Thanks again for the help!