GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hitch for GTI

TwoLaneBlacktop

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm struggling with the premium torklift puts on their ecohitch. It's twice as much compared to curt and all you get with that premium is an obscured bar. It's rude what they're doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turboBear

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm struggling with the premium torklift puts on their ecohitch. It's twice as much compared to curt and all you get with that premium is an obscured bar. It's rude what they're doing.

It's quite a bit different engineering wise, by appearance it attaches more strongly (the 'wings' are sturdier), the cross-bar/plates are sturdier, and the mount behind the bumper uses 4 bolts at each instead of 2.

{shrug}

It's still expensive, my shop is getting the Curt for my GTI. As long as there's no way the exhaust dings against the hitch I'm okay with that (a comment I read from a different GTI owner reporting on a Curt install). If the Curt doesn't work out then it's going back and I'm ordering the Torklift EcoHitch.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt

Because for serious towing you want the Torklift ecohitch. It's made to attach to the very strong points of the car (it attaches to the frame rails themselves).

The curt hitch on the other hand hangs low enough to scrape. And it's attachment points are much weaker compared to the Torklift hitch.

TwoLaneBlacktop

Passed Driver's Ed
Because for serious towing you want the Torklift ecohitch. It's made to attach to the very strong points of the car (it attaches to the frame rails themselves).

The curt hitch on the other hand hangs low enough to scrape. And it's attachment points are much weaker compared to the Torklift hitch.

I understand your point but I still don't agree with the premium when I believe both have identical towing and tongue ratings. I say that understanding the car is most likely the limiting factor in that regard. I'm willing to pay extra for a good idea/design or for comparatively higher quality materials but I'm not seeing sufficient value to justify double the cost. I ended up going with the draw-tite hidden hitch for $140. Definitely more reasonable. At the end of the day it's great we have so many options.

mrobin44

I also recommend the ecohitch from Torklift. I was extremely hesitant to use a hitch at all, because I was worried it would ruin the look. But at the same time, I didn't want to go with a roof rack. I'm still extremely satisfied. I don't think it's noticeable unless you're looking for it. I've had 2 heavy mountain bikes on my Thule T2 with no problems.

turboBear

Passed Driver's Ed
mrobin: Thanks for the share. I had to rethink my hitch plans, talking with my shop guy we just weren't as comfortable with either the Curt or DrawTite for various reasons and I ended up ordering an Ecohitch even with the much higher cost of product and installation (can't do it myself, no tools no work area no confidence).

That fact that it looks like you have the same color vehicle as I doesn't hurt, night-blue - yes?

MrMojoRisin1287

Passed Driver's Ed
So I went ahead with the Curt hitch and........it doesnt fit! I have a 2017 and for both the Curt website and etrailer.com it only lists the 2015 and 2016 GTI's for options. I chalked it up to them not updating the site with the new model year. Does anyone know of any changes in the mounting points between 2016 and 2017 model year? I can't imagine the hitch fitting a 2016 GTI and not a 2017.

When I go to line up the hitch, the rubber brushings are in the way, preventing me from lining up the holes.

bpw

Ready to race!
A pic of what you're running into would help. I have a draw tite and it's completely hidden except for the square you put the tongue into. Cant see the bar at all.

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
I just installed a Curt on my 2017 GTI S a few days ago. It took about 1 hour to install and was extremely easy by myself. The model I ordered was:

Curt 11412 link

I install hitches on a lot of my cars; the mounting points for the GTI are the same as for my Volvo S40's. I towed motorcycles for my track days for years with a Hyundai Accent and Volvo S40. I've also used my latest 2005 S40 to tow my 999 when I bought it. Absolutely no issues. The Curt is more than enough for the job of a bike rack.

It's more of a fact of whether you can deal with the look or not. I personally didn't want to cut on my new car, so for me it was an easy decision.

Last edited:

MrMojoRisin1287

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally got the hitch installed. The dealer sent me the wrong directions (for a different hitch) and sent me a video link for a different hitch as well. Which is why I was having a hard time figuring it out. Got it sorted out and got the hitch installed. I was more impressed with the bike rack than the hitch, but the hitch played it's part.

Side note, it looks like the bikes extend way past the sides of the GTI, but it's actually very minimal. Zero issues getting in and out of the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,066

MrMojoRisin1287

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice rack.

Are you using stabilizers for that? Does it bounce around at all?

No stabilizers, the rack has this pretty nifty tensioning dial for the hitch that secures it pretty well.

Honestly a little bouncing when fully loaded. Not entirely sure it wasn't just the suspension on the bumps. When I shake the rack with my hand it feels secure and it's the car moving, not the hitch/rack, so I wasn't too concerned with it.