GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Disable Adaptive Cruise Control but Use Regular Cruise Control

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
Completely baffled by this comment. ACC is vastly superior to standard CC in every conceivable way.

There is one way that it is not actually.

It totally and utterly ruins the lines and style of the front end. I remember when ACC first came out back in the late 90s/early 2000s on the MBs and Lexus, they had small unobtrusive holes in the side grilles by a fog light. Made the trim look lopsided a bit, but was barely noticeable.

Now, we have these ridiculous and ugly giant holes with black boxes sticking out in the dead center. It looks bad on the Golf, it is downright vomit inducing on the S3........and it's a standard equipment, you can't select a car without it. I traded a Mk6 GTI for my S3 and find myself missing the hatch, was looking at going to the R but the gap toothed idiot look is making that a hard choice.

Funny, Toyota seemed to find a way to implement the same system without an ugly (well, uglier than the car already is anyway LOL) visual sign on the Corolla. Why did Audi/VW give up and just grab the hacksaw and glue?

Having a moron in front of you that can't pick a speed is annoying, but I stay aware and undistracted when driving and find little use in nanny equipment.
When it ruins the car, it's even worse. Be nice if there was a way to deactivate the sensor with VCDS and then just remove the unit and put a normal grille in. That would be the only way I could think of to keep regular cruise. Just removing the unit would work but I'm sure there would be constant warnings and lights about it not responding. Has anyone looked into that with VCDS?? Since it's an option on the GTI if they share modules enough there might be a setting to disable ACC.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You'll need to look to see if what you suggest is possible. Just becasue you have a VCDS and can access the same module doesn't mean you can change a specific channel. I tried today to tweak one of the steering parameters and it wouldn't let me change the channel value, even though it let input the correct security code and let me into the channel. After I pressed Do It! I got an "Out of Range" message.

What you're suggesting is, the CC will operate without radar and I don't think it will. As an example, if you disable the ABS hardware the CC won't operate.

Last edited:

paulgarnett6

Ready to race!
Give the sensor a swift kick lol.mine does not have ot but ive known car washes to refuse to wash cars because it is so easily knocked and needs recalibrating which is costly kwickfit wont do your trackiing/wheel alignment if its fitted dunno why.i think it a bad idea people should. Concentrate on the road and not have the car do it for them.call me old fashioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kri$han1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thread revivial.

The battle with my ACC system continues and I'm ready to give up on this POS altogether.

Story:
- Bought a brand new GTI PP with ACC in September 2017
- October 2017 - Rock hits the bezel of the sensor on the highway. ACC disabled, trip to dealership for the $12 part, replaced fixed.
- November 2017 - Killed some dumbass' cat, replaced the lower grille, trim piece and sensor bezel once again, $300
- January 2018 - sensor randomly stops working - nothing was hit, no front end damage, only dash light warnings "Front Assist Not Available"

Back to the dealership today, and they want $460 to re-adjust the sensor. They are denying warranty coverage.

I am battling VW Customer care and whomever is responding on their facebook page about this. 4 months in and I fucking hate this car. Everytime I have to go to a dealership, my wife or I have to burn 1 of our vacation days off work (because no techs work on weekends, only the oil change/tire rotation guys).

I could have drove these EXACT same kms in my mk6, and I might only have a few scratches from that dumb ass cat.

Has anyone figured out how to deactivate this system, yet? I wish I never got it, and I will now advocate to everyone considering a new VW to NOT get it., It is NOT worth it.

Basically, at any time, any small thing (not even big enough to damage the car) can hit this sensor, and you're on the hook for a $500 fix at the dealer. You can't even adjust it yourself. SMGDH.

ofektal12

Ready to race!
Thread revivial.

The battle with my ACC system continues and I'm ready to give up on this POS altogether.

Story:
- Bought a brand new GTI PP with ACC in September 2017
- October 2017 - Rock hits the bezel of the sensor on the highway. ACC disabled, trip to dealership for the $12 part, replaced fixed.
- November 2017 - Killed some dumbass' cat, replaced the lower grille, trim piece and sensor bezel once again, $300
- January 2018 - sensor randomly stops working - nothing was hit, no front end damage, only dash light warnings "Front Assist Not Available"

Back to the dealership today, and they want $460 to re-adjust the sensor. They are denying warranty coverage.

I am battling VW Customer care and whomever is responding on their facebook page about this. 4 months in and I fucking hate this car. Everytime I have to go to a dealership, my wife or I have to burn 1 of our vacation days off work (because no techs work on weekends, only the oil change/tire rotation guys).

I could have drove these EXACT same kms in my mk6, and I might only have a few scratches from that dumb ass cat.

Has anyone figured out how to deactivate this system, yet? I wish I never got it, and I will now advocate to everyone considering a new VW to NOT get it., It is NOT worth it.

Basically, at any time, any small thing (not even big enough to damage the car) can hit this sensor, and you're on the hook for a $500 fix at the dealer. You can't even adjust it yourself. SMGDH.
im sure you can disable the acc and just the normal cruise control will stay on, sounds like simple coding.

but isnt the radar on the 2017 golfs behind the front emblem?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
not a derail but with ACC you set following distance and it will tail the car in front of you at that distance even if their speed varies? I assume there is also a max setting ie if they suddenly start doing warp 9 your car gives up.

just trying to learn

My Love will cruise at 70 until someone in front of her is going 55, then she will go 55 for a few miles before stomping on the go pedal to pass them. I don't ever see that changing......She has mentioned since she started using regular CC her mpg has gone up.

kri$han1

Passed Driver's Ed
im sure you can disable the acc and just the normal cruise control will stay on, sounds like simple coding.

No. If you manually disable ACC, cruise control is still not functional.

and no, it it located in the lower grille through an ugly-looking boxy hole.

I'm not sure about coding through VCDS, I've never done it, and I'm here to ask if anyone has successfully accomplished this yet. I suppose not, cuz Google hasn't found anyone that can do it yet.

not a derail but with ACC you set following distance and it will tail the car in front of you at that distance even if their speed varies? I assume there is also a max setting ie if they suddenly start doing warp 9 your car gives up.

just trying to learn

My Love will cruise at 70 until someone in front of her is going 55, then she will go 55 for a few miles before stomping on the go pedal to pass them. I don't ever see that changing......She has mentioned since she started using regular CC her mpg has gone up.

with ACC you set the speed and following distance. it will cruise at that speed unless a car is in front of you going slower, at which point it will maintain the distance you set. Once the car is gone, it will resume the set CC speed. It will not endlessly speed LMFAO:confused:

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
^ What he said, it's brilliant, works just about 100% and I have tried all sorts to confuse it

I'm happy with it but it has a few situations that could be improved.

Changing lanes in traffic with it on sometimes it'll see the space inbetween cars and will go FULL POWER very quickly. I wish it had a longer wait before doing that.

If you turn it on when you're close to the car in front of you sometimes it'll freak out and start the emergency braking procedure (warning tone). Easy to reproduce: be in empty lane with car next lane over (at your 3 o'clock), change lanes to be behind said car and then quickly turn it on. Freaks it out most of the time.

A few times on long highway trips it'll freak out when the road is empty and start the emergency braking procedure for no reason.

These are not consistent but are enough where i will say it's not perfect, but i don't expect perfection. It's an excellent working system, my only worry is the repair bill as a couple people have complained about.

TheDoc46

Ready to race!

2018's is behind the emblem. 2017's its a little ugly tbh as they've made it visible, sitting in the grill.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
until the sensor stops working, and then you have a $40k car that doesnt even have basic cruise control. what a useless POS

Works fine for the vast majority of us. Sounds like your dealership is a turd. You're in Toronto, gotta be more dealerships within reasonable range - find another who will take care of you. If this thing had been replaced already and is malfunctioning without having hit anything, then there's no reason you should be denied a warranty fix.