GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Updating Satnav

pcspike

When updating the satnav is it recommended to purchase a new blank SD card, or should I use the card that is already in the slot? Are updates added to it?

Last edited:

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
You have to use the VW SD card a new one will not work on the vehicle. You take it out, put into pc/laptop and then copy everything to a folder to use as a backup. Then format the card, once that is done extract the new data onto the card and insert back into slot 2. Once the ignition is on the data can take a couple of minutes to register and then you are good to go.

pcspike

You have to use the VW SD card a new one will not work on the vehicle. You take it out, put into pc/laptop and then copy everything to a folder to use as a backup. Then format the card, once that is done extract the new data onto the card and insert back into slot 2. Once the ignition is on the data can take a couple of minutes to register and then you are good to go.

Thanks for that. How often should I updated? My car was registered in March 2016 and I acquired it a few weeks ago, but the satnav is playing up. On one occasion the screen froze up and yesterday I lost the sound. I though that my first option would be an update.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
The update is only the maps, if you are having problems it is worth taking to a dealer as they are the only ones that can do the firmware update. Some have had similar problems and the update has fixed it. They usually put the latest maps on at the same time.

pcspike

The update is only the maps, if you are having problems it is worth taking to a dealer as they are the only ones that can do the firmware update. Some have had similar problems and the update has fixed it. They usually put the latest maps on at the same time.

Okay thanks

I did manage to update my system , but I am disappointed at the outcome ,
The centre dash display no longer counts down to an instruction ( it used to show yards , but now only tenths of mile )
Also expected the map to know about the new road towards Manchester airport at jnc 19 M6

Last edited: