GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 Golf R UK

LQRV1675

Passed Driver's Ed
Actively dislike those wheels (but fixable), not too keen on the egg crate grille. But nothing wrong with a TQ/HP bump, and would likely love the 7-speed DSG, depending on what they've done with the ratios, of course. The existing 6-spd could stand to pull a higher top gear, so maybe the 7-spd takes care of that need.

Neil

I had a 7 speed PDK in a Cayman, But prefer the 6 speed DSG in the R.

The 7 speed would be in 7th gear at 50 mph where there was very little torque for overtaking, so you had to change down or really hit the gas hard.

Of course the Cayman had no Turbo so it might better in the R

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I had a 7 speed PDK in a Cayman, But prefer the 6 speed DSG in the R.

The 7 speed would be in 7th gear at 50 mph where there was very little torque for overtaking, so you had to change down or really hit the gas hard.

Of course the Cayman had no Turbo so it might better in the R

Yeah, all depends on the car and its programming.

We rented a Tiguan 2.0 TDI w/DSG in Italy a couple of years back. For the first week or so we were driving exclusively on secondary roads, mostly in the alps between Italy and Switzerland. The Euro DSG comes with a gear indicator in the dash display, so I could tell when it engaged 6th or held the lower gears.

It was't until much later when we hit the autostrada that I suddenly saw D7 on the dash and realized that it was a 7-speed DSG, not a 6. The programming was such that it never engaged 7th except for higher speed cruising.

Neil