GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official MK7 Muffler Delete FAQ/Review Thread

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Sorry for the wait guys I'm still waiting on some local guys to come up with money for me to build their muffler delete, that way I can use it to build my jig for production.

I did switch to a aftermarket downpipe and it is on the loud side. My current setup still doesn't have an exhaust tip so it ends just shy of the bumper. Im gonna add a tip and see if it helps reduce drone in the car between 2,300-3,000 rpm because currently the catted dp + muffler delete is a little too loud for most people.

Here's some pics. I traded my stock dp for a catless cts, but I added a cat in place of the slip joint & clamp cts designed it with. That way it's all one piece and no chance of leaks

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Sorry for the wait guys I'm still waiting on some local guys to come up with money for me to build their muffler delete, that way I can use it to build my jig for production.

I did switch to a aftermarket downpipe and it is on the loud side. My current setup still doesn't have an exhaust tip so it ends just shy of the bumper. Im gonna add a tip and see if it helps reduce drone in the car between 2,300-3,000 rpm because currently the catted dp + muffler delete is a little too loud for most people.

Here's some pics. I traded my stock dp for a catless cts, but I added a cat in place of the slip joint & clamp cts designed it with. That way it's all one piece and no chance of leaks

I noticed the same thing. Sound proofing the spare tire area helps that 2 to 3k rpm rawness. If you look at it, its just a heat shield and then a thin piece of aluminum above where most people have had it cut to remove muffler

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

craigsix

Ready to race!
Good news for anyone still interested in buying a bolt on muffler delete. I'm planning to build a dual exit stainless w/tips for a buddy at work. I'm gonna build it on his car, take some good pics and build a jig so I can start production runs. Once I get to that point I'll start a thread.

$440 +shipping & PayPal fees is still the projected price. As of now the whole thing will be stainless steel. 3" 304 SS straight, y pipe, hangers, and tips with 409 bends. I need to call the supplier I plan to use and ask about also getting the mandrel bends in 304 SS.
ive got a 2 1/2" muffler delete pipe for sale $80 shipped 3000 miles on pipe.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Would like everyone's take on this.....how good does the muffler delete sound without downpipe? I like a nice deep growl but not obnoxious....I will eventually get a downpipe which I hear will make it much louder as well - you do you mitigate that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
I can try and get one in maybe set up my go pro and do it. I feel like it has broken in a little bit now that i put 50 miles on it because driving out of the shop and driving it around it felt a little harsh. Its the loudest in cabin from 2k to 3k rpm. Other wise for the money spent it was a great replacement over the soundaktor

Does it drone ?

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Does it drone ?

I don't think it does. Someone else may. Ive removed the heatshield and lined the spare tire area with dynamat to get rid of increased sound i was having between 2-3k. It was just raw or unrefined. I think if your sticking with stock ecu and don't like the soundaktor replacing the suitcase muffler is a great mod for whats trying to be accomplished

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
So I went to a place yesterday and the guy told me he could not do a muffler delete for me because it is illegal. I live in Missouri and all cars need a muffler to pass a safety inspection, not emissions. For the people who has done this, have you passed visual inspection without the muffler? I am keeping the resonator so will the inspector just look and count that as a muffler? I found a place who is willing to do it, I just don't want to have to put the car back to stock when I go in for inspection in a year or so. My only other option I was thinking of was maybe adding a glass pack somewhere in the exhaust. Im not really sure what to do now besides dropping $700 on a catback, which I rather not do at the moment.
Random thoughts... Get it done in another state, or on the side? And you could tell Missouri that the resonator is the muffler. Think they'll know the difference?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Nothing illegal about it, not in OH, PA, NC, or SC at least. I'll sell you my muffler delete (bolt on) and you can swap it with your stock muffler for inspection if you're worried about it. The link is above a few replies ago

angulojohn99

Is the muffler delete reversible? because if there is too much drone I might want to change it back.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

BTD37

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yes it is reversible. I just did a muffler delete today and I had the guy cut the muffler a good place so if I ever have to return it back to stock, there is one weld that has to be done. Overall I am very pleased with the sound. It definitely a lot louder campared to stock and it sounds deep but not obnoxious or "ricey." The DSG farts are really loud and the down shift also pretty loud. I kept the resonator to keep out some of the drone. The car drones slightly when cruising around 70 MPH but nothing bad at all. It was a little more expensive then I thought it was going to be but the guy that did it did a great job so it was well worth it. To make things easier I bought a magma flow Y pipe so he wouldn't have to fab up one himself and the Y pipe worked out really well.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If you remove the heat shield above where the muffler was removed your minimal drone will be gone. I guess the DSG gearing may have an effect on drone because with the stock dp I had zero drone