GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket LED tail lights

nype

Drag Racing Champion

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Yes the current style.

I like the facelift tails. I would be tempted to get them once seeing them on more vehicles and how the installs go for others. Perhaps they'll grow on me more in time. I keep finding things I want a little bit more than tail lights. Hahaha.

I'm waiting to see how the facelift tail retrofit looks. Cost and effort etc.

Ideally they would be plug and play, but unlikely.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
You would still have to run wiring between the inner and outer tails though, correct?

I haven't done this but I thought that a "regular adapter" was required to enable to orange turn LEDs. And a "sequential adapter" was also needed to make the orange turn LEDs flash sequentially.

For cars that didn't come with LED tail lights from factory you would need to. For cars that did, I assume it would be plug and play since the wiring harness is already present.

So far all of the vendors of that tail light seem to be in countries that have LED tail light as an option/standard (Korea and Australia)

nype

Drag Racing Champion
For cars that didn't come with LED tail lights from factory you would need to. For cars that did, I assume it would be plug and play since the wiring harness is already present.

So far all of the vendors of that tail light seem to be in countries that have LED tail light as an option/standard (Korea and Australia)

That makes perfect sense. Thanks...

GTISwede

Ready to race!
So I ordered the led bar style tail lights.

This is how they look on my car.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Not bad at all.

How about the turn signals? Orange or...?

Are they just 1 bulb in each housing?

Proper fit, wiring etc?

GTISwede

Ready to race!
All led, turn signal is orange led. Reverse light's also led, white. ~5000k reverse light led.

It's a closed unit, so could not see any bulbs.

Wiring is plug and play, threw some codes first, but went away after I turned the car off/on.

We'll see if any codes pop up tomorrow.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
Video with how they work?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
All led, turn signal is orange led. Reverse light's also led, white. ~5000k reverse light led.

It's a closed unit, so could not see any bulbs.

Wiring is plug and play, threw some codes first, but went away after I turned the car off/on.

We'll see if any codes pop up tomorrow.

Nice. And you had the non-LEDs previously, correct?

Ya I'd love to see a video and some daytime pics.

Thanks for sharing!

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah, non-LEDs previously.

I'll try to get a video for you tomorrow

Cool. Thanks.

And any VCDS coding?

I currently have my non-LED inner tails coded to function exactly as the outer tails do. Runner/signal/brake etc.

GTISwede

Ready to race!
Nope, just plug n play.

I'll come back tomorrow if any code pops up, then there's coding needed.

The fit is not perfect on the outer lights. But I did not take time to line them up properly.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Also, which ones did you go with? Smoke / clear red / smoke red?

Are there adapters to add on? And did you have to run wiring between the inner and outer tails like those who have retro-fitted OEM type LeDs have had to do?

Sorry, I know you said plug and play but trying to determine how this inner lights function with wiring or coding.

GTISwede

Ready to race!
Just smoked. Don't like the red touches in the rear :)

No adapters, plugs in to oem plug. Both on inner and outer tail.
No need for wiring between the inner and outer.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Ok cool. Thanks again man. Great info.

The eBay listing for the smoked ones seems to show some sort of adapters. That's why I asked. Good to know not required.

Do the inner tails function as more than just running lights? By default, with no coding, the North American non-LEDs are just running lights. I'm sure you're aware of all of this. Just trying to figure it out. Haha. Seems to easy to be true.