GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Information and Upgrades Thread

drrck

Go Kart Champion

redlined0517

Passed Driver's Ed
I just got the APR TCU tune at Waterfest last weekend. I feel like my car acted weird before the tune. There would sometimes be a delay going from Neutral to D (especially if I was on a hill). Let of brake, hit the throttle, wait, and then it would grab. Shifts when stock and stage 1 were smooth but the car raced into 6th gear in D and was useless in S mode.

The TCU tune is worth it. It is obviously intended for a tuned ECU and works perfectly with the Stage 1 ECU tune. There is a noticeable firmer shift when you are under a high load, quicker shifts and a faster response when using the paddles. D is nicer to drive in under all conditions, and S mode is finally usable. I literally didnt drive the car in S because of how it would hang onto gears. Now S mode is great and holds a gear when you want but will upshift at lower loads without sitting in gear till 4k+ rpms at very low throttle. I also feel like my car will stay in 2nd gear a little longer when slowing down to a crawl and then taking off again which I love. Before it would drop into 1st right when you wanted to take off again and would be in-between gears at the wrong times.

My current combination is running perfect and is a blast to drive. Smoother than stock, way more power, better MPG. I have no complaints. I will but going stage 2 within the next two weeks and I will see how the TCU tune does there. One of the main reasons I got it was to go stage 2 and not worry about slippage.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I just got the APR TCU tune at Waterfest last weekend. I feel like my car acted weird before the tune. There would sometimes be a delay going from Neutral to D (especially if I was on a hill). Let of brake, hit the throttle, wait, and then it would grab. Shifts when stock and stage 1 were smooth but the car raced into 6th gear in D and was useless in S mode.

The TCU tune is worth it. It is obviously intended for a tuned ECU and works perfectly with the Stage 1 ECU tune. There is a noticeable firmer shift when you are under a high load, quicker shifts and a faster response when using the paddles. D is nicer to drive in under all conditions, and S mode is finally usable. I literally didnt drive the car in S because of how it would hang onto gears. Now S mode is great and holds a gear when you want but will upshift at lower loads without sitting in gear till 4k+ rpms at very low throttle. I also feel like my car will stay in 2nd gear a little longer when slowing down to a crawl and then taking off again which I love. Before it would drop into 1st right when you wanted to take off again and would be in-between gears at the wrong times.

My current combination is running perfect and is a blast to drive. Smoother than stock, way more power, better MPG. I have no complaints. I will but going stage 2 within the next two weeks and I will see how the TCU tune does there. One of the main reasons I got it was to go stage 2 and not worry about slippage.

I'm stage 2 and got the TCU tune last week as well. With my car anything other than light throttle the shifts are pretty firm. With the DP it is pretty audibly noticeable. I've been able to get around the firm shifts by letting up on throttle when it is about to shift but when going up hills and whatnot it is unavoidable. Not really an issue but annoying to me. I do like the fact that car is more in powerband on "D" and 3-step was fun on the drag strip over the weekend.

redlined0517

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm stage 2 and got the TCU tune last week as well. With my car anything other than light throttle the shifts are pretty firm. With the DP it is pretty audibly noticeable. I've been able to get around the firm shifts by letting up on throttle when it is about to shift but when going up hills and whatnot it is unavoidable. Not really an issue but annoying to me. I do like the fact that car is more in powerband on "D" and 3-step was fun on the drag strip over the weekend.

Hey PacDawg. I dont want to hijack the DSG thread but wanted to ask about Stage 2. Did you upgrade from stage 1 and then do the DSG tune? I will be going with a catless DP when I go stage 2 and I am wondering how much of a jump you felt from stage 1 and if the shifting feel was different from stage 1-2 with the TCU.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Hey PacDawg. I dont want to hijack the DSG thread but wanted to ask about Stage 2. Did you upgrade from stage 1 and then do the DSG tune? I will be going with a catless DP when I go stage 2 and I am wondering how much of a jump you felt from stage 1 and if the shifting feel was different from stage 1-2 with the TCU.

I upgraded from Stage 1 and was on stage 2 for a long time before getting the TCU tune so I wouldn't be able to comment on differences in shifts between the two stages. In terms of jump in power felt between stage 1 and 2, I just remember that with stage 2 the power felt it carried farther down the rev range compared to stage 1.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Not sure if anyone has answered this but no, physically is almost the same exact unit that was in the MK5 generation back in 2006. The calibration; however, is different for the MK7.

Can't remember where I read it... but I believe that the MK7 GTI has longer gearing than the MK6.

Transmission is the same... but the gearing is different.

Edit: Added the APR DQ250 Clutch Packs to the clutch pack section in the original post.

Last edited:

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
Thank you for this!! I love informative threads like this. I am having issues with my DSG shifting slow and odd hicups in D in 1-2 and 2-3 shifts (4 -5 and 5-6 are perfect which is odd). I'll be doing the full adaptation (Sync Point reset, Basic Settings reset, and engagement reset) this weekend and will report back.

CiHKAl

Clearly VW fabricates awesome DSG tales like they do for their vehicles... (emissions, stock hp numbers of the gti, etc.) Study or not there are more than a handful stage 1, 2, and plus running dsg with no reported problems. APR claims slippage around 380 lbft according to another post here.
Assuming the DSGs of the MK6 and 7 are very similar I have an APR V3.1 K04 MK6 with 90k on it. Bought the car new almost five years ago, and started at stage 1 with 10k miles. No issues and I've been K04'd with the APRs TCU tune for 30k miles.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ducatij2012

Ready to race!
So in layman terms, with a stage 2 tune in a dsg gti, do you need the dsg tune as well to not mess up your clutches?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I believe it's recommended so there is increased clamping pressure to get all the power down as well as no possible DSG slip

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
You shouldn't need new clutch packs unless you don't have a TCU tune which might have some slip. I don't know of a non-stage 3 that has it done