GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How robust are Pretoria and Cadiz 19's

italynstylion

Ready to race!
For what it's worth...last weekend I was coming home from a friend's house at night and there was a piece of (I think) wood in the road. There were cars left and right of me so I was forced to hit it. Tried to straddle it but it was too wide and I had to hit it with at least one side. I sacrificed the right side and blew the front right tire. Yes, with 1500 miles on the clock. Fun times.

That being said, the wheel is fine. No issue. I had to work hard to find another tire exactly like the stock ones (Audi typically has them but no one else stocks them) but after a new tire everything is good.

bradfordstl

I've hit a few potholes this year. Ended up having to replace the drivers front pretoria and tire at only 500 miles. Dealer wanted $700 for the wheel and $290 for the tire (p zero). I found the wheel for $590 (at DAP) and tire rack had the tire for $190. I think next year I'll be investing in some winter wheels. As much as I like the look of the prets, they will bend if you hit a good sized hole. I did not get the dealer insurance.

No damage to any steering components and no alignment needed.

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Yes and that way piece of mind

RobDMB

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you have to buy the tire and wheel insurance at purchase? I declined but sounds like maybe I should have considered.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The spokes on the Cadiz's are only attached to the front of the wheel, and you can get your fingers behind them. And those (in my opinion) stupid grooves only weaken the wheel. I hit a pothole in a parking lot shortly after buying the car. I took it to the dealer for inspection, and there were no marks anywhere on the wheel, tire or suspension. I feel I was very lucky. Too bad forged wheels aren't an option.

Last edited:
May I ask how much it'll cost you?

My daily commute has terrible roads (potholes, uneven/cracked, etc etc) so I'm worried for when I mount my Pretoria's. I got them at a deal, and deals aren't easy to find.

Varies by dealer and company. My dealer wanted $699 for 5 years of coverage. I believe you can only get the coverage when you buy the car.

Last edited:

LQRV1675

Passed Driver's Ed
The spokes on the Cadiz's are only attached to the front of the wheel, and you can get your fingers behind them.

I think you will find that all alloy wheels are only attached at the front.

If they were attached at the rear as well, where would the brake discs and calipers go?
The only wheels that had that arrangement were wire spoke wheels from
the 30s -70s that were used on sports cars. MG. Jaguar. etc
Plus most racing cars.

protocall

Passed Driver's Ed
It's​ an option at purchase, like an extended warranty. My dealer offered it for $800 or so through Allstate.

Cadiz here. A pothole bent my right front wheel and created a tire bulge. Dealer replaced tire and had the wheel repaired, no questions asked.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think you will find that all alloy wheels are only attached at the front.

If they were attached at the rear as well, where would the brake discs and calipers go?
The only wheels that had that arrangement were wire spoke wheels from
the 30s -70s that were used on sports cars. MG. Jaguar. etc
Plus most racing cars.

I meant there is only the spoke, unlike say Huffs which are solid.

madelinot

Ready to race!
I also hit a major hole on a bridge once. Actually, it wasn't a hole, but one of the expansion joints. It did bend a front wheel, which I had repaired.

If you like the Pretorias and want to get Winter wheels, there are replica wheels out there in 17" and 18". They look EXACTLY the same but the ones I have are much darker.