GOLFMKV

Hidden USB & Magnetic Phone Mount Over Air Bag Warning Light

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP

sabo

Ready to race!
Looks fantastic! How well does it hold up when moving the car quickly? I'd love to have that set for auto x. Definitely doing this one

can't really speak to auto x type forces :D

but the magnet is fairly strong...the phone cover i use is moderately thick rubber...so the hold depend some on the phone and the cover....i have iphone 6s....i don't feel like it would lose it whipping on a track...

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
Just to add to discussion. The non-cheapo magnet holder (one with the rubber/anti slip cover) is plenty strong to hold even a 7" tablet (for all that my TSI could deliver). The cheapo one that I've installed in my old car (the base is basically a thick washer that moves on the ball) is much worse. I had to use sand paper to roughen it up to prevent unintended movement (and it's far from perfect).
Regarding the install process - I'd rather not route the cable on my car. While not as aesthetically pleasing it's much easier to replace the cable (that tends to go bad for no reason). Also, i believe that instructions missed important 1st step - disconnect the battery or you may end up with air bag system code (that required dealer visit).

sabo

Ready to race!
Just to add to discussion. The non-cheapo magnet holder (one with the rubber/anti slip cover) is plenty strong to hold even a 7" tablet (for all that my TSI could deliver). The cheapo one that I've installed in my old car (the base is basically a thick washer that moves on the ball) is much worse. I had to use sand paper to roughen it up to prevent unintended movement (and it's far from perfect).
Regarding the install process - I'd rather not route the cable on my car. While not as aesthetically pleasing it's much easier to replace the cable (that tends to go bad for no reason). Also, i believe that instructions missed important 1st step - disconnect the battery or you may end up with air bag system code (that required dealer visit).

the warning is there. if you've read.

i don't fear cable wear. all my cables 4+ years and going...

Last edited:

lokerola

Ready to race!
Wow - great write up! Very cool, thanks.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie

kkingma

Ready to race!
Thanks for the write up. I followed your instructions without issue. Only problem I had was the "fish the USB cable" which was a little trial and error.

Now I can close my cubby with the phone plugged in!