GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Correct part number for VW plug and play sound upgrade

Toiletduck

I have been reading up on this but I am struggling to find an answer. I recently bought an end of the line mk7 2016 Golf R Estate in the UK, it was the showroom model with a lot of options but unfortunately not Dynaudio. Not an issue I thought as I had noted VW advertise a dealer fit alternative “Helix Plug and play sound”. However the dealer I bought the car from claimed that this is now discontinued. I have contacted several other local VW dealers but I have only found one who has any interest in fitting the system. They quoted me £445 to supply and fit but when I clarified whether I would lose the spare wheel this seemed to confuse them so they sent me a screenshot of the part number from their system that they intend to fit which clearly could not fit in the spare wheel well.

This was part number 000 051 419 C and the image shows a Helix subwoofer speaker box that sits in the boot itself which is not what I had in mind as I bought an estate for the boot space. I have researched online and I believe the part number I want is 000 051 419 B which is the Helix version that fits inside the spare wheel well? Confusingly there is also an A version that seems to be the same thing but for earlier cars, perhaps?

I went back to the dealer to ask for 000 051 419 B instead and they have come back to me saying the cost to fit that version is £465 and they want payment upfront as “VW Accessories” is saying my car needs 000 051 419C not the B version that I want and presumably they are not confident that it will fit my car so don’t want to be left with an opened unit if it doesn’t fit. They also state I will lose the spare wheel with that version. I suspect they have not fitted this system before.

So I have a few questions, does the spare wheel well version 000 051 419 B fit a UK November delivered 2016 Golf R Estate or is there some valid reason that the dealer thinks I need the C version that is installed in the boot? In all my research online I cannot see any discussion of this “C” version of the system although I did find it for sale on amazon.

Secondly I am aware that this unit normally takes up the spare wheel space, however the Golf R Estate has a very large spare wheel space big enough to take a full size wheel with an additional storage space above as the boot floor cannot drop down in the R but the space below remains. Therefore I actually think it should be possible to fit a space saver above or below this unit in the R estate, perhaps the issue would be securing both the wheel and the Helix unit at the same time, it is probably only possible to secure one to the fixing point.

Cheers

Andy

erichtn

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm sorry to hear that VW dealers in the UK seem to be as confused about this product as those in the US are.

For what it's worth, I just installed the Helix Soundbox (part #000 051 419; no revision number) in my 2017 Golf Sportwagen (Estate) 4Motion. We don't get the R Estate here, but the 4Motion does include AWD, obviously. The unit fits in the spare tire well, and is intended to replace the spare tire. My car came with a small temporary spare, however, and it fits on top of the Helix unit.

There seems to be some confusion as to whether a B revision exists. Various threads on this forum, Reddit, and Vortex suggest that VW produced a Europe-only B version, but I'm not convinced that this is the case. The manual I received with my unit lists two additional parts: DKS 051 419 A is the programmable dongle (Programmier-Dongle) used to program the DSP for your specific vehicle (the Estate uses code 60); DKS 051 419 B is a shorting plug (Kurzschlussstecker) used to allow the sound system to work if the Helix unit is removed.

Long story short: I suspect your dealer is mistaken, but who knows?

DaveEvening

Passed Driver's Ed
As I see in etka:

Part for 000 051 419 B have a info: spare wheel recess
Part no. 000051419C C have a info: trunk.

No matter if this is a Variant/Hatchback Golf.

Part B is round and should fit into a spare wheel place, as long as normal, full-sized wheel is fitting. The C is long, narrow box - look like it just mounted somewhere in trunk.

As I can say - If you asked a dealer, they propably entered car VIN number and they only see the options that wasn't rejected as non-matching.

Toiletduck

I'm sorry to hear that VW dealers in the UK seem to be as confused about this product as those in the US are.

For what it's worth, I just installed the Helix Soundbox (part #000 051 419; no revision number) in my 2017 Golf Sportwagen (Estate) 4Motion. We don't get the R Estate here, but the 4Motion does include AWD, obviously. The unit fits in the spare tire well, and is intended to replace the spare tire. My car came with a small temporary spare, however, and it fits on top of the Helix unit.

There seems to be some confusion as to whether a B revision exists. Various threads on this forum, Reddit, and Vortex suggest that VW produced a Europe-only B version, but I'm not convinced that this is the case. The manual I received with my unit lists two additional parts: DKS 051 419 A is the programmable dongle (Programmier-Dongle) used to program the DSP for your specific vehicle (the Estate uses code 60); DKS 051 419 B is a shorting plug (Kurzschlussstecker) used to allow the sound system to work if the Helix unit is removed.

Long story short: I suspect your dealer is mistaken, but who knows?

Thanks, reassuring to know it will fit with a space saving spare wheel which is what I thought as there is a lot of space.

The C part number must exist in the UK at least as it was in the screenshot of their own system, it can be found on the Amazon UK website also as can the A version.

I guess I will just have to book it in and find out, I'm guessing the only difference between the two units is physical and they otherwise are wired in the same.

There's only 1 vw dealer out of 5 nearby that was even prepared to quote so I'll just have to go with them if I want it.

Cheers

Toiletduck

As I see in etka:

Part for 000 051 419 B have a info: spare wheel recess
Part no. 000051419C C have a info: trunk.

No matter if this is a Variant/Hatchback Golf.

Part B is round and should fit into a spare wheel place, as long as normal, full-sized wheel is fitting. The C is long, narrow box - look like it just mounted somewhere in trunk.

As I can say - If you asked a dealer, they propably entered car VIN number and they only see the options that wasn't rejected as non-matching.

Thanks, so is there a reason the vw system is saying I need part C, should part B fit OK?