GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Subwoofer Baffle Board for 2017 GTi-S

rajugsw

It fits great. Pictures coming soon. Quite simply, here's what I'm working on. I bought a 1/2" thick sheet of MDF from Home Depot (you know, the smaller sheets available on the shelves by the lumber dept.). Had them cut it to size of the floor of the cargo area. I cutout the hole for my 10" Rockford Fosgate Sub. Bolted it to the 1/2 MDF Baffle Board and it fits PERFECTLY under the original carpeted hardboard folding cargo piece. The spare tire doesn't have to be touched and it doesn't hit the plastic piece holding it down. I have room to mount the Amp & crossovers as well. The hard part will be mimicking the Helix Soundbox wiring harness. Too bad they don't sell it separately. Watching the various YouTube video's out there. All I need are male and female 8 pin speaker connectors and male/female 2 pin power connectors.

If any of you have some thoughts in particular the part numbers and where I might find the. I'd appreciate it. I can't find any info online.

rajugsw

Thanks Rick. I hope to have some test fit pics this weekend. Still looking at 5 channels amps (Rockville, Sounstream) are are under $150 and sound decent. Once I get it working properly (the factory EQ just robs the midrange IMHO), I will get everything working properly before going through the pain of buying replacement component speakers. Who knows, I've heard people put bought the Helix installed onto their factory system actually makes it sound better (Helix default is the Golf Eq I believe). I understand tailoring the stereo to the interior of the car but when its just factory paper woofers and I'm guessing cheap mylar domes in the door a A pillar. Why bother. I understand the dealer can program a flat setting onto the factory head unit.

Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Thanks Rick. I hope to have some test fit pics this weekend. Still looking at 5 channels amps (Rockville, Sounstream) are are under $150 and sound decent. Once I get it working properly (the factory EQ just robs the midrange IMHO), I will get everything working properly before going through the pain of buying replacement component speakers. Who knows, I've heard people put bought the Helix installed onto their factory system actually makes it sound better (Helix default is the Golf Eq I believe). I understand tailoring the stereo to the interior of the car but when its just factor paper woofers and I'm guessing cheap mylar domes in the door a A pillar. Why bother. I understand the dealer can program a flat setting onto the factory head unit.
The Helix system can come programmed with a number of different cars as default.

I personally installed the Helix system in my car and had the dealership program it for $50.

There was a noticeable improvement in sound quality post programming... There was also a nice boost in low end bass! :eek:
I now have my bass setting on the radio turned down 3 notches.

Midrange and highs have been improved as well!

A very good deal at ~$300 after all said and done :cool:

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

My system got a similar start, except with 3/4" MDF from Home Depot:

I have more info in my thread at http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27785, if you haven't seen it already.

Scott

rajugsw

Rockford Fosgate Punch P1S410 from 2006. Fs of 30Hz and I don't want a "Grounder Pounder". Keeping the stock speakers (for now). I want to power the sub and factory speakers with some sort of eq flattening DSP (Kicker, AudioControl or JL Audio) in line with a decent (ahem...affordable) $150 - $200 5ch amplifier.

Also building a custom in line wire harness interface that I can chop up without harming the original harness :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252794709274?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Gonna build a Helix like harness and chop the speaker outs so that they re-route back to the inputs of the DSP eq/amp, then have the amp speaker outs routed along the passenger side and back to the four pairs of speakers wires behind the infotainment unit (CD/SD card reader). The "remote on" will be supplied by the 12VDC (cigarette lighter) connection in the cargo area. The "big" 12V will have a 4AWG cable running down the drivers side, through the grommet in the firewall and connected to the batter via inline fuse.

Last edited: