GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mud Flaps/Splash Guards - Yes or No

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
I saw a plain WRX with bright red mud flaps today... Plz nobody get the bright red ones.

I don't hate mud flaps, though I don't think that's the area you should finally decide to have some flare.

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!
Had them on graphite blue mk6 TDI and now I'm really considering them on NB mk7 gti.

I didn't like them initially but they grew on me on the mk6.

I now have a wider offset on my gti (18x8.5 wheel et45), and wondering that because of that, mud flaps will make an even bigger difference than putting them on a car with stock austins?

Also anyone have pics of flaps on darker mk7s??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Some people like the looks, if you are trying to keep crap off of your booty with them they don't help that. I tried it on my Mk6 and it made no change in debris desperation. But I sorta liked the looks.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I saw a plain WRX with bright red mud flaps today... Plz nobody get the bright red ones.

I don't hate mud flaps, though I don't think that's the area you should finally decide to have some flare.
Lol agree. That is not the place to add a "look at me" touch. That is like walking around and showing people your immature socks all day. Check these socks out bro!!!

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!
Some people like the looks, if you are trying to keep crap off of your booty with them they don't help that. I tried it on my Mk6 and it made no change in debris desperation. But I sorta liked the looks.

Ya I know they don't make a big difference from my mk6 but I wonder since my tires stick out more now that they'd help? They have to at least a little bit..

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I'm installing mine today. The factory ones. They sure are sleek and low profile. I've got a black GTI, which I think most people wouldn't even notice the splash guards. Anything that helps keep the black car clean is worth it! I'll report back on how much I think if helps. Winter time in Colorado is not friendly to black cars!

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Ya I know they don't make a big difference from my mk6 but I wonder since my tires stick out more now that they'd help? They have to at least a little bit..
Oh absolutely. Stones and stuff possibly getting thrown up the side of the car(I've had that happen) and things like that would certainly not be possible with some decent flaps. I will reconsider flaps after the flush kit install. I may have to after that for protection reasons.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Oh absolutely. Stones and stuff possibly getting thrown up the side of the car(I've had that happen) and things like that would certainly not be possible with some decent flaps. I will reconsider flaps after the flush kit install. I may have to after that for protection reasons.

Adding wheel spacers (ECS flush) seems to really fling a lot of crap all around the rear half of the fenders. Obviously more than without the spacers. I'm going to switch to slightly thinner spacers front and rear, to see if that helps a bit (10 front, 15 rear). Also, lowering would probably help as well as less of the tire would poke past the edge of the fender.

I think that the OEM splashguards do help somewhat. But maybe just for the side of the car more immediately and lower to the fender. Lots of crap kicked up on the hatch still.

That said, it's been all rain/snow/slush/salt/sand here for a few months now. I have hosed the car off when its not below zero, but I haven't had the car washed since installing the splash guards / mud flaps.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
When I got my car I didn't really care about mud flaps, but they came on the one I bought (Reflex Silver) and I think they look great. Nice touch IMO, sleek and not huge like you see on WRXs and such. I will try to post a pic tomorrow if I remember.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Put them on today. They are very subtle. Almost can't even see them on the black car.

Attachments

• 20170210_110657.jpg
    20170210_110657.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 2,255