GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Headlights Peeling

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
After 1 year and a month, helix headlights are peeling. Anyone else having this issue with helix or even ed's?

Not on a GTI but on my wife's prior car I had to buy 2 set of aftermarket lights for this reason. Many aftermarket lights have a thin film on the outside. OE might also but I have never had the problem on any OE lights. I have also had issue with the rubber parts on aftermarket lights. After a year they crack. Most are made in China and I think they do not have quality rubber compounds.
OE cost more for a reason sometimes.

If you install lights I would cover them in Lamin-X film, to help protect the lights. I covered my LP OE lights to protect them from scratches and dings.
They cost to much to not protect.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I was looking at the lamin-x. Are they that good? I may try that before I buy new lights.

In my build thread look on page 5 post #134.
I give as much info as I can to help others who might take on the Lamin-X headlight film. Not super hard but not as easy as the clear hood bra.
Maybe my info will make your install easier. Main thing is do not be in a hurry and stick with it on the headlights. I hope they come off ok and have thought about maybe needing to remove after 2 years and install again. They are still in great shape, just wonder if they will age and become harder to remove. The film is very tough and I think would protect the headlights from even severe impacts. I would try on yours as the cost is not that much.

Make sure your hands are clean before install. I super glued something prior and the headlight film picked up a small piece from my hands. Not very large nut I know it is there.

Last edited:

edward@becautoparts.com

Go Kart Champion
FYI - we've been selling our version of the headlights since August 2014, I have not had a single customer approach me and say there was a peeling issue with our Mk7 headlights.

Every single component in our lights is different than the Helix lights.

Kynetic64

Ready to race!
FYI - we've been selling our version of the headlights since August 2014, I have not had a single customer approach me and say there was a peeling issue with our Mk7 headlights.

Every single component in our lights is different than the Helix lights.

Ed, I ordered your lights last week and installed them. Right away I could tell quality diffrence. between no fogging, fitment, quality and operation, I should have just gone with your lights from the beginning. The only thing I was confused on was the center bulb does not come on with the blinkers, I just unplugged them for now. Any thoughts?

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Ed, I ordered your lights last week and installed them. Right away I could tell quality diffrence. between no fogging, fitment, quality and operation, I should have just gone with your lights from the beginning. The only thing I was confused on was the center bulb does not come on with the blinkers, I just unplugged them for now. Any thoughts?

If you mean the static cornering lights, I believe those only work with the high beams.

Kynetic64

Ready to race!
Cornering lights come on when fog lights off and you are on low beam. I would think on high beam the car is set that you have enough light with high beam on.

I tried various combinations and nothing enabled them to come on. I'm not too worried about. They're unplugged for now. I have not had a chance to see lighting at night. I'm curious to see the diffrence from the helix lights.

hugotinini

After 1 year and a month, helix headlights are peeling. Anyone else having this issue with helix or even ed's?

My Helix headlights started peeling after 11 months. I've thought of wetsanding them and applying a clear coat finish or some other kind of protection. Any problems with Ed's headlights so far?

Last edited:

spiker369

on air, don't care
I had Ed's lights on my mk6 and they peeled pretty quickly. Sanded them down and everything a few times. The lenses ended up yellowing and I sold them for a really low price to just get rid of them. Made sure to get the LP when buying my mk7 for that reason alone.

hugotinini

I ended up wet-sanding both headlights and applying a high quality clearcoat finish. Then, I wet-sanded again with fine-grit sandpaper to remove the little imperfections of the application (small bubbles and dirt), polishing the headlights after that. The whole process took 2 days, but the result is perfect so far. This may be a good advice for people who have problems with peeling in aftermarket headlights.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I had one pair of Helix lights on my MK5 Rabbit and they only lasted a year and a half or so before they looked like crap. Ended up spending the money on Hella brand instead. Helix would be my last choice if I needed a set today.