GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket Clutch

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
I'm still under 500 miles so haven't really gotten on it yet but I'm loving it. Did the bleeder block and a dp while everything was out. I paid $650 for the install. Would have liked to do it myself but It's a little over my head and it would suck on jack stands. Just my .02

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Did you buy your clutch kit from XLR8? Do you mind sharing what the labor is costing you from them? You can pm me.

Also, are you replacing the rear main seal? They seem to promote doing this if you are upgrading the clutch as a preventive measure.

Thanks!

Shoot me an e-mail and I can write the quote up for you, we supplied the RSR for this gentleman and have installed many of these. We are using the iAbed industries rear main seal on this car too. 8k miles and it is leaking. Every MK7 we have done had a leaking rear main seal so far. Still the same crappy OE seal in this car.

Greg@excelerateperformance.com

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Shoot me an e-mail and I can write the quote up for you, we supplied the RSR for this gentleman and have installed many of these. We are using the iAbed industries rear main seal on this car too. 8k miles and it is leaking. Every MK7 we have done had a leaking rear main seal so far. Still the same crappy OE seal in this car.

Thanks, I just sent you an email!

ruffrider519

Passed Driver's Ed
To anyone who is curious about the RSR in the golf R, I would recommend it. It feels very close to stock and comfortable. It's also very quiet. I have not yet tuned the car as I am still in the break in phase of the clutch but will update once I change the settings on the JB1.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
To anyone who is curious about the RSR in the golf R, I would recommend it. It feels very close to stock and comfortable. It's also very quiet. I have not yet tuned the car as I am still in the break in phase of the clutch but will update once I change the settings on the JB1.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

:D Apparently an APR car is putting down north of 450whp with an RSR clutch on a GTI. Lets see how long it lasts! :eek: Looking forward to seeing if this option can truly prove itself on the R platform.

stxlax25

Passed Driver's Ed
:D Apparently an APR car is putting down north of 450whp with an RSR clutch on a GTI. Lets see how long it lasts! :eek: Looking forward to seeing if this option can truly prove itself on the R platform.

Just to make sure your information is correct. That GTI is not using a standard RSR clutch from HS tuning. He is testing their new RSR-H clutch that has not been released yet and apparently is designed for extreme power applications for the MK7's.

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4

Just to make sure your information is correct. That GTI is not using a standard RSR clutch from HS tuning. He is testing their new RSR-H clutch that has not been released yet and apparently is designed for extreme power applications for the MK7's.

Am currently using said unreleased clutch on my MK7 R :) (only stage 1 though)
Jeff mentioned that both his personal GTI, and a stage 3 GTI were the other "testers" of this. I have been regularly going there for work, so I got the chance to be the Golf R guinea pig. I had been daily driving the RSR (original) for close to 15k miles, and eventually developed a bit of slip under higher throttle, low RPMs.

Overall it's the exact same PP, but a new disc design. The engagement feels more substantial, but is a lot easier to feel than with the RSR (I also have the CDV delete and removed the clutch pedal spring) - I did have to adjust the throttle I give to engage into first (the new clutch takes a little more).

stxlax25

Passed Driver's Ed
Am currently using said unreleased clutch on my MK7 R :) (only stage 1 though)
Jeff mentioned that both his personal GTI, and a stage 3 GTI were the other "testers" of this. I have been regularly going there for work, so I got the chance to be the Golf R guinea pig. I had been daily driving the RSR (original) for close to 15k miles, and eventually developed a bit of slip under higher throttle, low RPMs.

Overall it's the exact same PP, but a new disc design. The engagement feels more substantial, but is a lot easier to feel than with the RSR (I also have the CDV delete and removed the clutch pedal spring) - I did have to adjust the throttle I give to engage into first (the new clutch takes a little more).

Darnit. I just recieved my RSR kit and have not installed yet. It makes me nervous to hear you had slip at only 400 tq. I thought these were rated to 480? I wish I knew the RSR-H was coming out and I would have ordered that.

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
Darnit. I just recieved my RSR kit and have not installed yet. It makes me nervous to hear you had slip at only 400 tq. I thought these were rated to 480? I wish I knew the RSR-H was coming out and I would have ordered that.

Agreed. I just installed mine 2 weeks ago :(

gti5notrkt1

Passed Driver's Ed

Please quantify roughly how many mk7s you've put a clutch in that "every one had a leaking rear main seal" or I'm calling BS. If your sample is one car and one defect, I'll buy it, but there is no way this is such a widespread defect or VW would have a line out the door. Incidentally another tuner told me the exact opposite. That the aftermarket ones have a bad habit of leaking and the latest OEM rev. aren't showing any issues. Coincidental that you sell the iAbed?

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Please quantify roughly how many mk7s you've put a clutch in that "every one had a leaking rear main seal" or I'm calling BS. If your sample is one car and one defect, I'll buy it, but there is no way this is such a widespread defect or VW would have a line out the door. Incidentally another tuner told me the exact opposite. That the aftermarket ones have a bad habit of leaking and the latest OEM rev. aren't showing any issues. Coincidental that you sell the iAbed?

Yes we do indeed sell the iAbed, thank you for noticing. :) The first MK7 clutch we replaced we didn't replace the rear main seal, however, this car was only a clutch replacement, flywheel remained in place so there was no way to validate it was or wasn't leaking. Since then, all clutch jobs have received a new flywheel whether it be SMF or new OE DMF. We have done at least 6 clutches on the MK7 so far.

You are certainly entitled to think what you think and whomever shop you use can certainly share their experience. Not all of them leak we certainly get that. Coincidentally the majority of the cars that have come through our shop have been.

If the shop you are dealing with are talking aftermarket, do you mind sharing what brand? There are many OE replacement seals that look just like the OEM seal that have a terrible track record. I have yet to see an iAbed seal leak on its own, we have a few improper installation reports though which isn't a failure of the seal itself. After experiencing the amount of failures first hand in the Gen1,2,3 TSI engines and what WE have seen so far on the MQB, I don't expect the track record to be much better. There are been quite a few reported early low mileage leaking rear mains on MK7's across the country not just our experience.

We have been recommending and installing this seal far before we started distributing them too.We don't like to sell or recommend something unless we know it works. With the overwhelming good luck we continued to have, we decided to use them exclusively after wasting our time installing OE rear main seals that continued to leak.

Mind you these aren't exactly pouring oil out but they are seeping and they certainly shouldn't be at this age/mileage. VW has used the same seal from 09-14 and the new "revised seal" isn't any better than the one it replaced. VW did have MK6 owners knocking on their doors with rear main failures, much of them stemmed from PCV failure. Unless you pull the transmission, you're not going to know its leaking until you clutch starts slipping horrible our you star seeing oil drip from the bell housing.

I'm not forcing people to buy anything, just sharing our experience to help the community make the best decision they can based off real life situation.

Cheers!

:cool:

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4

Agreed. I just installed mine 2 weeks ago :(

I only noticed it in the last few thousand miles - I had also NOT replaced my DMF, and this is my first MT car (I learned stick on the R and this clutch :p). All of those could have contributed to it slipping early.
Also, it only slipped in 4th-6th when I gave it hard throttle at <3k rpms. This is a known situation that will cause a lot of stress on ANY clutch because of the high boost pressure.

So, take my "slipping" with a grain of salt.

gti5notrkt1

Passed Driver's Ed

FYI, the 'RSR-H' is not available yet. My understanding from HS Tuning is that it is still completing testing. Release date has not been published but the estimate is near term vs. many months.

Once released I think it will obsolete the RSR version since it's the highest holding DMF solution with decent drivability (at least from initial testing).

Jon.