GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: HS Tuning's RSR Clutch Kit for the MK7 Golf R

2inTheMorning

Ready to race!
I was super excited when United Motorsports released port tuning for the high security locked ECU for the MK7 Golf R. So last week I went to Next Level Tuning in Greensburg PA to flash my 2016 Golf R with United Motorsports' "Full Torque with Downpipe" file. Wowsers! :eek: It became immediately apparent the stock clutch couldn't clamp down on all that torque. During my drive home I eased into full throttle in 4th gear and at some RPM the tach needle climbed, but the speedometer needle didn't budge.

The very next day I took a beautiful 3 hour drive to Westlake, Ohio to HS Tuning headquarters and they installed their new RSR Clutch Kit for MK7 in my 2016 Golf R. This wasn't my first high-performance aftermarket clutch and I was getting nervous while driving there remembering being stuck in stop-and-go traffic with previous "performance" clutches only meant for Superman or professional kick-boxers. Maybe I should call it off now? This is a brand new car, what am I doing?

I was worried for nothing.

The RSR clutch is only slightly firmer than stock. The engagement point is distinct and feels fantastic. There is no noise inside the car. There is no noise outside the car. There is no vibration. It clamps down and the car just goes. This is the closest thing to stock, but waaayy better than stock, that you can get. It's actually easier for me to drive smoothly now because the stock clutch vagueness is gone.

The guys at HS Tuning, Jeff and Ken, were very accommodating and took time out of their busy day (many times) to talk to me and answer all my questions. (They probably could have gotten a lot more done without me there.) Ken explained more technical information about clutches than I could pretend to ever understand. Ken is a freaking genius. Both are great guys that clearly have a passion for what they are doing. They took white glove care in the installation (carefully putting my car parts as they were removed in a safe, clean and OCD level tidy stack) and I observed meticulous attention to detail.

I recommend the RSR clutch and, if you are close enough, I highly recommend having HS Tuning install it.

MK7-R

Passed Driver's Ed
Awesome review. I'll be getting that clutch when my stocker goes once APR port flash is available for my 16.

garyshrig1984

My clutch is starting to slip and I don't even have a tune yet. 3,000 miles on the clock and only mod is downpipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GENO

Passed Driver's Ed
spaceyjacey,
Did you get the same kit that they designed for MK7 gti? or was it totally new kit specifically for R's?

Halvie

WOOSA
Will eventually be going with this. Just hope it can handle whatever these cars end up doing with a bigger turbo. Don't want to go with another smf aftermarket clutch this time.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I was super excited when United Motorsports released port tuning for the high security locked ECU for the MK7 Golf R. So last week I went to Next Level Tuning in Greensburg PA to flash my 2016 Golf R with United Motorsports' "Full Torque with Downpipe" file. Wowsers! :eek: It became immediately apparent the stock clutch couldn't clamp down on all that torque. During my drive home I eased into full throttle in 4th gear and at some RPM the tach needle climbed, but the speedometer needle didn't budge.

The very next day I took a beautiful 3 hour drive to Westlake, Ohio to HS Tuning headquarters and they installed their new RSR Clutch Kit for MK7 in my 2016 Golf R. This wasn't my first high-performance aftermarket clutch and I was getting nervous while driving there remembering being stuck in stop-and-go traffic with previous "performance" clutches only meant for Superman or professional kick-boxers. Maybe I should call it off now? This is a brand new car, what am I doing?

I was worried for nothing.

The RSR clutch is only slightly firmer than stock. The engagement point is distinct and feels fantastic. There is no noise inside the car. There is no noise outside the car. There is no vibration. It clamps down and the car just goes. This is the closest thing to stock, but waaayy better than stock, that you can get. It's actually easier for me to drive smoothly now because the stock clutch vagueness is gone.

The guys at HS Tuning, Jeff and Ken, were very accommodating and took time out of their busy day (many times) to talk to me and answer all my questions. (They probably could have gotten a lot more done without me there.) Ken explained more technical information about clutches than I could pretend to ever understand. Ken is a freaking genius. Both are great guys that clearly have a passion for what they are doing. They took white glove care in the installation (carefully putting my car parts as they were removed in a safe, clean and OCD level tidy stack) and I observed meticulous attention to detail.

I recommend the RSR clutch and, if you are close enough, I highly recommend having HS Tuning install it.

Bumping an old thread, but I think with a new clutch there would be interested in how it's performed over a period of time. How's the clutch? Is it holding up to your tune fine?

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
Just had mine put in today along with the ECS bleeder block and USP catted down pipe. I love how the clutch pedal feels now. It seems to snap back as opposed to feeling like I was waiting for it when it was stock. The release point is right off the floor compared to the high release point with stock clutch.

2inTheMorning

Ready to race!
The RSR clutch was still working perfectly 18 months later when I traded the 2016 Golf R in for a 2017 Golf R with DSG. I have a bad back and even though the clutch was on the light side, it still aggravated my back problem. I still highly recommend the RSR clutch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
The RSR clutch was still working perfectly 18 months later when I traded the 2016 Golf R in for a 2017 Golf R with DSG. I have a bad back and even though the clutch was on the light side, it still aggravated my back problem. I still highly recommend the RSR clutch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update. Congrats on the DSG R. I entertained trading my 16 MT R for a 17 DSG R since it looked like I could get a 17 for $4k under MSRP and then figured I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of upgrading the clutch, but decided not to and push on with my 16 R.

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed
I just had the RSR kit installed in my 17 R over the long weekend. I only had 2,600 miles at the time of replacement, doing this before tuning to save the stock flywheel.

I read a few other reviews that mentioned the clutch needing a bit of breakin before it becomes fully civilized so I was expecting it to grab very close to the floor and to also be a good bit stiffer than stock.

It took a few attempts to get moving without stalling, stalled it once. Takes some getting used to the engagement point and pedal effort. Deff stiffer than stock but does engage smoothly. At this point I have about 50 miles on it mostly highway. It seems to be getting easier to drive each time. Most of my driving is city so It should not take long to get it broken in.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE