GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 GTI premature leather wear (Need opinions on solution)

Weimaraner

Just bought a 2016 GTI SE with performance package yesterday. The car is night blue and I absolutely love it so far.

One quick question in regards to the leather seats and care of the seats.

The upper outer bolster on the driver seat has some "wear" for lack of better word. The black leather now has a grey look as it has been rubbed?

Is there a product that I can apply to restore the color? I've been very careful getting in and out of the car and it is possible the wear was on the seat before I bought the car.

Trying to avoid taking it back up to the dealer. Will add a picture here shortly.

wordsthatiwrote

Ready to race!
I damaged my leather wrapped steering wheel by having the wheel lowered and sitting in to the car with a knife clipped to the inside of my pocket. So I made some excellent nicks on the left side of the steering wheel.

I know this doesnt apply to this thread but i advise you to be careful getting in and out.

marcg611

Ready to race!
I damaged my leather wrapped steering wheel by having the wheel lowered and sitting in to the car with a knife clipped to the inside of my pocket. So I made some excellent nicks on the left side of the steering wheel.

I know this doesnt apply to this thread but i advise you to be careful getting in and out.
Yeah my wheel has multiple snag marks from knife clip and also stupid metal nubs on side of few pairs of jeans. Metal on the jeans also scratched the same spot on the outer bolster. I've tried "leather honey" but barely improved, I'm considering black shoe polish to polish in the nap

marcg611

Ready to race!
Update.. I got ballzy and broke out the black kiwi shoe polish, polished the steering wheel scuffs with cotton t-shirt rag and buffed off. Result is much improved! About 50% improvement, it layed down the nap and dyed all the exposed white back to black. [emoji106] [emoji3]

Mattism78

Ready to race!
That's not wear. Some type of chemical got on there and discolored the leather. Due to the location I would say it's probably an adhesive. It's common for stitching to be glued to hold in the event of broken thread during the sewing. Try mild soap and water. If that doesn't fix it go to the dealer. Working next to seams is tricky as your thread material is generally porous. You can stain the thread fairly easily. Especially when it's a bright, contrasting color.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Just bought a 2016 GTI SE with performance package yesterday. The car is night blue and I absolutely love it so far.

One quick question in regards to the leather seats and care of the seats.

The upper outer bolster on the driver seat has some "wear" for lack of better word. The black leather now has a grey look as it has been rubbed?

Is there a product that I can apply to restore the color? I've been very careful getting in and out of the car and it is possible the wear was on the seat before I bought the car.

Trying to avoid taking it back up to the dealer. Will add a picture here shortly.

I have a spot too. It's impossible to get in and out without rubbing the bolsters.

wordsthatiwrote

Ready to race!
Update.. I got ballzy and broke out the black kiwi shoe polish, polished the steering wheel scuffs with cotton t-shirt rag and buffed off. Result is much improved! About 50% improvement, it layed down the nap and dyed all the exposed white back to black. [emoji106] [emoji3]

Looks good. Ill have to give it a shot. Mine is SIGNIFICANTLY worse.

Derassassin

Passed Driver's Ed
Was there ever a resolution to this? I just picked up a 17 R and it seems there is a similar kind of spot in the same area on the bolster... only 600 miles on the clock.

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Was there ever a resolution to this? I just picked up a 17 R and it seems there is a similar kind of spot in the same area on the bolster... only 600 miles on the clock.

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its from your leg (drivers leg) rubbing against the steering wheel getting in and out of the car. Some people really enter or exit with their leg in a high position as they rotate.