GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD DSG estate MPG

Stonsey

Hi, I bought a nice gtd estate about 4 weeks ago. Got a few nice extras on it, carbon grey metallic, DSG, park pilot, reverse camera, sunroof, leather interior. I got it as a used car 16plate with 10k miles.

The thing that concerns me slightly is the mpg, when I picked the car up the long term mpg was only 44mpg. I reset the long term data in the settings and the best I am achieving is 42mpg after 1500 miles. This is driving in normal mode with a little bit of sport when needed. I've even done a tank full driving what I consider conservatively and still managed about 43mpg from that tank.
I am using shell diesel not v power, as I won't put supermarket fuels in my cars.

I understand that the cold starts and cold weather won't do much to help with mileage but I was wondering what other gtd estate owners are getting for your mpg.

I have seen the gtd mpg thread but was wondering what effect the extra weight of the estate has on mpg.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Can't speak for the estate but 43-45 as an average is about right for the hatch (and I would guess the estate is a little bit worse due to weight and aerodynamics).

TBH my GTD only gives me real good MPG figures (and by that I mean 55mpg+) when on a really long cruise at 65-70mph over at least 100 or so miles. Around the houses day in day out, mine's given me just over 44mpg (with a a fair bit of urban driving) with a very best on the GTD (with the 19" Santiago's) of a genuine 58.2 mpg (but that was achieved on a 173miles trip driving very conservatively at the above speeds with the computer registering 59.8mpg).

VW Diesels do seem very sensitive to ambient temperatures, and mine improves noticeably when the weather hits 10°C plus, and good MPG on shorter journeys and cold starts do not good MPG make in a GTD.

DangerousTheory

Passed Driver's Ed
I average about 44mpg on 75mph motorway stints in this cold weather, in the summer its definitely possible to get close to 50 (sometimes over on long constant 70mph journeys). Recently on short town trips (oil doesn't have time to heat up) I'm averaging around 32mpg

pd150

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a manual hatch so I'd imagine the estate to be a few mpg worse off at higher speed.

the DSG may take up to 5mpg off.

I've found cruise control takes a good 7mpg off and cold weather a further 7mpg off. I tend not to use cruise control for this reason and i find it disconcerting, always have!

With spirited driving my long term average is 46mpg in winter and 52mpg in summer.

On my commute i'll get 49mpg in winter and 56ish in summer. My commute is Cardiff to Bristol mostly at 75mph to Newport and fair bit faster ;) upto Bristol limits.

Around town shops and back etc I'll get 33mpg in winter and low 40's in summer.

Car will do mid 60's in the summer if traveling 60-65mph. and mid 50's in Winter.

Hope this helps.

DangerousTheory

Passed Driver's Ed
I've found cruise control takes a good 7mpg off and cold weather a further 7mpg off. I tend not to use cruise control for this reason and i find it disconcerting, always have!

Unless you're using Adaptive Cruise in constantly changing traffic situations, where of course it is going to brake and accelerate uneconomically compared to a human judging the conditions, then your figures are exaggerated

Cruise control should be more economical in free-flowing traffic because it can apply a smoother and more consistent throttle.