GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is this a crazy break in method ?

Axles of Evil

Ready to race!
And....

There is norfolking way I'd ever put conventional oil in a modern turbo engine.

^^^^THIS AS WELL^^^^^

BTW, those guys from Norfolk are real shifty bastards :cool:

PS...back in the 1980's, Pontiac came out with the 4.9L Turbo Trans Am. This was an engineering marvel at the time, and one of the pioneering uses of a road sports car using a Garret turbo. I had one. Loved it!. But others I knew had lots of problems, mainly turbo failure.

Guess what....synthetic oils were not the norm in 1980....perhaps that was a good part of the reason as the turbo relied on engine oil for lubrication and cooling. The oil....I don't think was up to the job. Basically that car was ahead of its time. I know guys who still have these and now use synthetics....no issues with the turbo. Could be coincidence, no?

Last edited:

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Say then, I dump the initial oil at 1000.
How about conventional oil to 5000
THEN......synthetic to 10000
Synthetic from then on ... at 5000 intervals ...?

YES- Synthetic oil only at 5,000 mile intervals. Never use convention oil in your GTI.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Crazy is one way to put it. Mind boggling is another way... I don't recommend it (the conventional oil that is, at any time in our engine).

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Do NOT use conventional oil in these cars.

Conventional oil can coke in the turbo. Synthetic oil is a must for these cars for that reason alone.

John_R_C

Another issue with conventional oils is the potential for 'coking' the turbo bearings from heat soak. I'm assuming the turbo bearing housing is oil cooled which should reduce this possibility. Coking reduces the bearing clearances and can lead to catastrophic turbo failure.

John C

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Wow I stumbled upon the worst oil change advise thread ever. Check this forum for the oil analysis threads on here. Changing your oil below 10k is a waste without any TBN testing.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Wow I stumbled upon the worst oil change advise thread ever. Check this forum for the oil analysis threads on here. Changing your oil below 10k is a waste without any TBN testing.

Move aside, boys. We have an expert in the thread now! You can all go home. :p

ashchuckton

Ready to race!

Thanks for worrying about how I waste my money. 5,000 mile changes work well for me. Going 10,000 miles is saving money in the wrong place. Guess now we are even.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for worrying about how I waste my money. 5,000 mile changes work well for me. Going 10,000 miles is saving money in the wrong place. Guess now we are even.

Not a problem, that's what I'm here for. I said it was a waste.. not just a waste of money, but time, gas, Oh did I say time? You have no basis upon what your stating where my tests have show you can safely go 12k on a change. But do what you want with your money and time, gas.. etc etc. it's all a waste. My engine will last just as long as yours with out the waste of money and time. I've had 2 cars go 290,000 miles on amsoil. with just 1 oil change every 25k.. So I must say I'm pretty impressed Castrol can be pushed to 12k which testing has shown.