GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radar slammed anchors on today

Zidane

I was only doing about 20mph as I was entering my place of work but I can't say I'm chuffed about it.

No warning but as I drove through the gates at work it didn't like something and slammed in the brakes. No-one was behind me fortunately.

The ACC symbol (car on a road) came up in red. I can only presume it assessed the size of the gap and my speed and decided I'm not to be trusted.

How do you switch it off. Not having that again.

mikef4uk

Ready to race!
I was only doing about 20mph as I was entering my place of work but I can't say I'm chuffed about it.

No warning but as I drove through the gates at work it didn't like something and slammed in the brakes. No-one was behind me fortunately.

The ACC symbol (car on a road) came up in red. I can only presume it assessed the size of the gap and my speed and decided I'm not to be trusted.

It should warn you first! you should get in this order (if you do nothing to convince it your in control...brake, turn the steering etc)

White car shape and beep
White car shape and a couple of brake jabs
Red car shape, seat belt pre tensioners and hazards, plus full brakes

You can turn it off on the dash in the menu's

Mine does not like,

Steel posts around a corner
push bikes in the middle of the road (mind you I dont like them either!)

Axles of Evil

Ready to race!
Ever thought it was something else?

I have had strange things happen like this when I had a Cadillac ATS (2014). I was sitting in the parking lot at Walmart with nothing else around me....the front sensors went off like someone walked too close to the front of the car starting at the left hand side, then the middle and then to the right. The close warning proximity sensors went off sequentially from left to right. Not seeing anyone in front of the car, I was thinking perhaps a stray cat? Nope, nothing was around me or underneath the car.

Could that have been spirit based? Who knows! :eek:

Avanti

Go Kart Champion

Does it do it everytime you go through the gates?
Perhaps there was something on the floor that activated it, I remember my car done this once on a straight road, it was only after looking at the dash cam footage there was some debris in the road that it had detected.
You can temporarily disable it with the button on the sie of the indicator stalk. In fairness nobosy should be that close behind you to rear end you.

Zidane

Happened again today, except it didn't slam on. I got the red warning on the display but it didn't automatically brake.

I was in a very open car park, nothing obvious to worry it.

Anyway, it's now switched off.

mikef4uk

Ready to race!
If you ''do something'' when the 'red car' appears in the dash display, like lift off, brake. turn the wheel the car will not 'slam on' if you do nothing to convince the ecu your going to crash it will step in and stop the car

Silvadadi

Passed Driver's Ed
LOL, wait until an empty chips bag blows across the radar.

That's no joke!? :) Happened to me too a couple of months ago and given that our chips/crisps bags in Blighty are smaller than stateside, shows how sensitive the sensor is. Whilst it's reassuring to know it works luckily no one was behind me in 40mph zone.

Not so worried about being rear ended its the reaction of the driver behind that thinks I have just "brake tested" them.......won't switch it off though. As mentioned in previous posts would insurance take it into consideration if in a crash and it was disabled......moot issue I suppose if you rear ended someone

cramwell

I've found this feature to somewhat positive and negative. I thought I was an alert driver until the ACC a few times has kicked in when I haven't noticed a car in front slam on the anchors to make a late turn. But sometimes, when I'm well aware of the car in from slowing to turn, the ACC has slammed the anchors on - even when my angle of motion would have lined me up to pass cleanly - albeit closely!

Generally pretty impressed, but definitely room for improvement.