GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake discs and Pads.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm very impressed with your knowledge of 2CV brakes. Seriously. :)
The amount of times I've taken the car for new tyres only for the fitter to exclaim the car has no front brakes. LOL.

My father had a "Charleston" & the "modern" Dyane, both had front disc brakes, all 2CV's got them from 1982 according to wiki.

Infact he almost bought one of the stunt 2cv's from the James Bond film Never say never again. the insurance was too high as it had a bigger engine & could do stupid speeds!!

:cool:

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I had 60k out my last cars discs if that's anything to go by.. had pada done twice on front and once on back in that time frame.

What was your last car? Do you track your car?? My mk6 was at 75% brake life at 47K miles, factory pads/rotors. I do not baby my cars, by any stretch.

Jon2

Ready to race!
My father had a "Charleston" & the "modern" Dyane, both had front disc brakes, all 2CV's got them from 1982 according to wiki.

Infact he almost bought one of the stunt 2cv's from the James Bond film Never say never again. the insurance was too high as it had a bigger engine & could do stupid speeds!!

:cool:

Ah, you mean 'For Your Eyes Only'. Three cars were built for the stunts, and after filming finished, all three were still driveable! If you watch the scene you'll actually see the rollover bar fitted. The air-cool twin-cylinder 602cc engines were removed and replaced with the air-cooled four-pot 1015cc engine from a Citroen GS/A. They had to fit a twin exhaust system in order for the cars to sound like a standard Deuche*. I have a mate down in Herefordshire who built two stunt cars for the Bruce Willis film, 'RED2'. They had 1100cc BMW motorbike engines fitted. He has since built one for his own use, and has now developed a conversion kit for 2CV owners mad enough to fit one. Here's some Youtube footage from Mallory Park.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAocmae9vyE

*2CV is French for two fiscal (taxable) horse power. In French it's Deux Cheval Vapeur (two steam horse) or Deux Chevaux (two horses), so the French always shortened it to 'Deuche'. :)

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
Driving style and weather condition matter. I ran out of front pads (heard crunch when applying brakes) at 83k miles (on my Focus), during winter commute. Luckily the traffic had already slowed down as we were approaching red light. Made it to the wheel shop few miles down the road just in time before they closed for the day (the emergency brake came in handy, obviously it'll be discontinued on new vehicles).
I'm not sure if this was due to pads (or rotor) being completely worn out (I don't abuse brakes) or corrosion under pads. I recently redid my front brakes on the same car and one of brake pads - after just 2 years and 28k - separated from the metal base due to corrosion while I was sanding it (I was going to reuse them with new rotors, old rotors looked ugly and I suspected them to be warped and be source of vibration/noise). Likely this was because of overheating them (I had to replace stuck caliper on the same side) but our climate (and salt) surely accelerated the problem. The parts were dirt cheap for Focus (and the job is easy, if all part are on hands). I'm not sure what the cost will be for GTI but I'd not consider it major expanse over the lifetime of the vehicle. There was little wear after 29k on the Golf I'd traded in.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ah, you mean 'For Your Eyes Only'. Three cars were built for the stunts, and after filming finished, all three were still driveable! If you watch the scene you'll actually see the rollover bar fitted. The air-cool twin-cylinder 602cc engines were removed and replaced with the air-cooled four-pot 1015cc engine from a Citroen GS/A. They had to fit a twin exhaust system in order for the cars to sound like a standard Deuche*. I have a mate down in Herefordshire who built two stunt cars for the Bruce Willis film, 'RED2'. They had 1100cc BMW motorbike engines fitted. He has since built one for his own use, and has now developed a conversion kit for 2CV owners mad enough to fit one. Here's some Youtube footage from Mallory Park.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAocmae9vyE

*2CV is French for two fiscal (taxable) horse power. In French it's Deux Cheval Vapeur (two steam horse) or Deux Chevaux (two horses), so the French always shortened it to 'Deuche'. :)

DOH!! & I should know...I have seen all the Bond films!!

I also know about the RED2 bloke, as I read an article in a motoring mag about the BWM bike engine conversion he did....& have seen the film also.

My father used to drive me to the Lake district from London up the M6 & max it out at about 70mph....indicated 75/80 downhill with a tail wind.....& we went over the hog/hack & wyrnose passes...

Free rollercoaster rides..........:eek:

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
After two years of use all organic pads harden. The resin used gets harder and harder as the brakes cycle from cold to hot. The outcome is that you press the brake pedal and the force generated is less though you can't tell, as you adapt to them. Also, as they harden, they become aggressive (more abrasive) and they eat your rotors. That's why I usually fit semi-metallic pads when I change them, even though I don't track the car.

Kyle_Kelso

Passed Driver's Ed
I have noticed that and think I might replace them shortly for that reason. And unless it's absolutely perfect conditions they ALWAYS squeal.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Can anyone tell me how long I can expect brake pads to last on a non-GTI/R Golf 7? I'm currently on 9.5k miles. I know there are many factors to take into consideration, but I'm not a hooligan behind the wheel, nor a little old granny, I'm just a regular driver. Also, how many miles can I expect from the brake discs? Taah muchly.

Salt must make a big difference.
But surprised others are getting so little with pads.
I have PP package and just had 30,000 mile service.
Pad thickness reported as 30% used.
FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JCJ

Ready to race!
My GT is coming up to 3 years and 30K and I've been told I will need new brakes and discs soon. I drive around rural areas through loads of mud, sea and sand from coast also. I guess my brakes get a great deal of wear because of the roads and conditions.

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
I was very hard on my oem brakes, lots of highway driving, emergency stops, hard braking, and even multiple lock ups. I got to about 24k until I noticed my rotors starting to get wavy and uneven. When I started to feel the vibration under braking I decided to just completely upgrade the front with ECS brakes.

Probably could have resurfaced the rotors and replaced the pads but I always upgrade the brakes in my cars so I took the chance to upgrade. Really depending on your driving style, conditions of road, and other drivers around you.

redlined0517

Passed Driver's Ed
I was very hard on my oem brakes, lots of highway driving, emergency stops, hard braking, and even multiple lock ups. I got to about 24k until I noticed my rotors starting to get wavy and uneven. When I started to feel the vibration under braking I decided to just completely upgrade the front with ECS brakes.

Probably could have resurfaced the rotors and replaced the pads but I always upgrade the brakes in my cars so I took the chance to upgrade. Really depending on your driving style, conditions of road, and other drivers around you.

How do you like you like the combo of EBC slotted rotors and Yellow Stuff pads. I have heard mixed reviews but I am really looking to do the same setup with either Red or Yellow stuff pads. How are they on cold stops and did you get alot more bite vs stock?

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
How do you like you like the combo of EBC slotted rotors and Yellow Stuff pads. I have heard mixed reviews but I am really looking to do the same setup with either Red or Yellow stuff pads. How are they on cold stops and did you get alot more bite vs stock?

I have been using EBC on my previous cars for a while (nothing crazy just low hp sporty cars like my 93 MR2) and have always liked them for a good street replacement. This is my 1st time using the yellowstuff pads and they are pretty nice. EBC says they don't need to be warmed up as much as other street/ track pads and it does feel that way but I always try to get them a little warm before my freeway drives in the morning. I was debating them over the redstuff but I hear the redstuff can produce more dust and I can be really hard on my brakes so I wanted something that can handle a good amount of heat.

I did have to wait a while for the break in coating to wear away, I drove very carefully and used as minimal brakes as I could for the 1st 200-300 miles and then used slightly more pedal until 600-700 miles. The bite was very good at this point. Then I did the bed in procedure, 60 - 10 mph 10 times in a row. To be honest I wish they kept more bite but they still preform great. Great pedal feel and response, there was a little noise at first but it goes away after you break them in.

Overall i'm happy but I might look into different pads, but keep the rotors for my next set up to compare. I'm also planning on swapping brake fluid once I hit 30k miles in hopes for more brake improvement.