GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD ACC Sensor Replacement

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Evening,

Managed to run into a pheasant this evening and smash the ACC sensor surround to pieces. Amazingly, the ACC sensor itself is still in tact and still works, the lower honeycomb surround survived it as well to!! Does anyone know the part number for the ACC sensor surround on the GTD as there appears to be a number of different designs available? Also, can the lower honeycomb grille be removed without removing the front bumper? Would be a very easy fix if so?

Thanks

Jon2

Ready to race!
Is the radar sensor still in place and fitted solidly? Sounds like it, but if not, I'm surprised the ACC works still. Even if the radar is undamaged, if it has moved from the position it was in, it should start throwing up error messages and stop working. From what I've read on this forum, you'd have to get the radar refitted and recalibrated at a VW dealer. Sounds like you're a lucky begger. ;)

Don't you have an insurance covering the damage?
I'm almost 100 percent sure the lower grille can only
be removed with the entire bumper assembly removed.
But I think you should visit your dealer checking the
radar alignment anyway. Asking the forums for part
numbers doesn't help much. You dealer knows them
and that's where you get those parts.

golfhappy

Ready to race!
it's about £400 to get them to check the alignment,if it aint throwing an error message the sensor is not out of alignment. think the bumper has to come off to address the black grille. i hit a fox and knocked mine out of alignment but was able to buy a retaining clip and push it back in and clear the fault with vagcom. broke a bit of my grille which was behind the bumper, retrieved same and super glued it back on!

£400? Are you kidding? :D

if it aint throwing an error message the sensor is not out of alignment
This is not true. It's even almost irresponsible
telling that false information on a public forum.

:rolleyes:

golfhappy

Ready to race!
thats what i was quoted by the vw garage in Edinburgh, seemingly they use some sort of blackboard and not many garages have invested in the expensive equipment.
mine did throw error messages as think there are 3 plastic retaining clips when i hit the fox one clip broke and the radar sensor was displaying think out of range in the mfd. so got a new clip fitted pushed the sensor into the clip and cleared the fault and never had it return.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
OP, just go to the dealer and give them your VIN. That will tell them which radar emitter/receiver you have. Hopefully, the surround is available separately. It sounds like you can probably get away without aligning the radar. As long as it works as before and is not loose I wouldn't worry about it for now.

I'm in the States but AFAIK the only way to align the radar is at a dealer, on a wheel alignment machine with a special laser attachment. I'm guessing about $300 here for a full wheel alignment and radar alignment.

So try to get the surround and wait until you need a wheel alignment to check it. I can't remember exactly which wheels/adjustments REQUIRE the radar to be realigned but I think it's rear toe-in.

I don't know about your GTD but on my R I can easily remove the surround without touching the grille.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Get the part from the dealers as they will give you the correct part based on cars VIN.....

You will need to remove the bumper to fit the grill, plenty of people have done this to swap the headlights around..

If no fault codes etc then you are ok..

As for those who have a fault then you don't have to go to the dealer, just a good alignment place that has invested in what is called a "domino board"....

http://www.pro-align.co.uk/proalignproducts/vw-group/vw-alignment/

MarcA

Ready to race!
There is a thread on here with a diagram and part numbers.. for both dome style and panel style acc. If it's working fine I would just replace the surrounds it just clips together mostly.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Get the part from the dealers as they will give you the correct part based on cars VIN.....

You will need to remove the bumper to fit the grill, plenty of people have done this to swap the headlights around..

If no fault codes etc then you are ok..

As for those who have a fault then you don't have to go to the dealer, just a good alignment place that has invested in what is called a "domino board"....

http://www.pro-align.co.uk/proalignproducts/vw-group/vw-alignment/

Try to find one here :)