GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Navigation - Speed camera locations

monkey boy kev

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all, I have the standard arrangement as the Mk7 GT TDI comes so far as stereo/navigation system goes. The one bug bear i have with the navigation side of things is that it doesn't have the speed camera locations etc loaded up as standard.

There seems little to no point in me keeping my tom tom now but having the speed camera locations is a real bonus. I'm sure it can be done and I've searched on here but can't find anything, so my question(s) are:-
- Is there a way of having the speed camera locations loaded onto the inbuilt navigation system?
- How do i do it?
- Where can i find them?

Thanks

Kev

dadu

Ready to race!
1. Yes.
2. We don't know yet.
3. The lists are made but not tested so... patience my friend! :D

DW58

Go Kart Champion

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
So long as you have a valid speed camera database, then head over to VW Germany website and use their POI app, "Nav Companion". It takes all of your speed cameras and fixes them into a folder format that the Nav will recognise for chucking onto the root directory of an SD card.

I did it yesterday with my Nav Pro on the new GTD. just one thing to be aware of, the speed cameras as POI's are visual only, I.e. the system doesn't bong at your or warn you in any other way than via the icon in screen.

See below (you can see the Gatso 40mph icon in the middle of the screen)

AGE_3562 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

le0n1

Ready to race!
Do you have to load the poi's into the system over again if you update Your nav Version? :)

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Hmm, not sure but I don't think so, but in any case it takes literally 2 minutes to load them.

le0n1

Ready to race!
How do I load it into the car? Struggeling with my german so I'm not sure it works now:p

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Copied this from a thread of mine over on another forum.....

It's in a few places but basically its like this.

Get your up to date speed cam database on the computer (I have a subscription to pocket GPS world), in the correct format for the Navi (I use *.asc files). The good thing about Pocket GPS world, is when you download the speed camera database, it also downloads the .bmp picture icons as well.

With the database at hand, nip over to the following address on the VW Germany site (this is for the Pro Nav), and it will open the Navi companion site.

http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html

Then using the on line app you load each one of the database at a time (for instance Gatso 30 mph) in the upper part of the box.

In the second line, give this database a name (what it will show up as on the Nav), and in the last line browse for the .bmp icon file for each camera.

Then clicking the small requester bottom left, adds this to your waiting list, and you can repeat this step for as many POI's as you want. For instance I added - Gatso 30, 40, 50 & 60, Specs 30, 40, 50 & 60, and red light cameras.

Finally when you have created your list, hit the button in the lower right corner give your collection a name, and this creates a zip file for you.

Extract this zip file to the root of an SD card. It will create a folder called PersonalPOI and a single text file (you need both).

Then insert the SD card into one of the cars SD slots, go to set-up, software information, and click "software update". It will search the SD cards and add your POI's onto the Nav, where you can then select them as POI's to display.

The whole process took about 30 minutes earlier. If you get stuck, just go to google translate and translate the Navi companion as it contains on screen (albeit by default in German), all the instructions.

Hope this helps.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
It's a fair point Dipth, but its just insurance to protect the license.

monkey boy kev

Passed Driver's Ed
Here's an idea, why not just keep below the speed limit? :p

Fair point made.

To elaborate though, I didn't ask the question so that I could deliberately drive around like a loon and avoid getting caught. I just find it useful to have the information when going to different places and it helps as a reminder - IMHO.

Chaucer2468

Hi.

Can someone confirm if this method works on the Discovery Navigation please. When I insert the SD card with the two files it does not allow me to update.

Thanks for any help