GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car boot water leak (GOLF MK7) - EASY FIX!!!

Framoman

Hi guys, new to to the forum.

Cleaning the car out and found plenty of water in the spare tire well (PIC 1). Was very unhappy as the car is only 4 years old, and was at a bit of a loss as to what to do.

After a little research it seems a few other may have this same issue, and I have identified and fixed the problem myself for the small sum of £5, and a bit of swearing. Therefore I thought I would make a post so that others might come across it if they have the same issue.

Basically there is a plastic tube that drains water from the holes behind the boot handle, out just above the boot lock - onto the rear sill and hence, out of the car. It SHOULD look like PIC 2 (if not eroded) - with a little black grommet visible.

If under manufacturer's warranty, try and get them to fix it - I would possibly even push to say you need new carpets because the 'old ones smell' - this should not be happening on reasonably priced cars.

Unfortunately, this tube seems to be eroding at the end in many cases, and the end of the pipe is ending up inside the boot trim. This then causes water to drain inside the boot trim, and eventually when the boot is shut, will leak into the tire well - most likely unbeknownst to the driver.

There is a Youtube video explaining this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nLoW3XzNOY

All images referred to here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Akt_ePfXzqfglnvNgxE3-s-LGT1M

Therefore to fix this:

1. Strip the carpet, spare tire, jacking kit out of the boot (all just pulls out if careful) AND DRY them inside

2. Remove upper boot lid trim and DRY, as shown in this Youtube video (you will need torx screwdriver): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnTI9je9fh0 (PIC 3+4)

3. Remove corroded pipe from back of boot handle (PIC 5+6) - easily pulls off with a pair of pliers

4. Order a replacement rear boot drain hose from your local main VW dealership (cost £5 and took 1 day to arrive) (PIC 8+9)

5. Cut new pipe to correct length and put it in where the old one was (PIC 7)

6. Replace all carpet and trim once dry

7. Hopefully NO MORE LEAKS!

Hope this helps someone, cheers guys.

Last edited:

tclap2136

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys. I'm having this same issue, water in the spare tire compartment, but the drain under the emblem is attached properly and it's running water out like it's supposed to. Nothing else is wet, just puddled water under the spare tire... Any other ideas on what it might be?

paNX2K&SE-R

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4Mo
Hey guys. I'm having this same issue, water in the spare tire compartment, but the drain under the emblem is attached properly and it's running water out like it's supposed to. Nothing else is wet, just puddled water under the spare tire... Any other ideas on what it might be?

I had a leak from the drivers side body vent under the rear bumper that allowed water to fill my spare tire well.

Bigneil

Just done this job. Remove the 4 torx screws and pull boot covers off. Remove old hose and cut new hose to length. Fit and rebuild. Placed a small room dehumidifier In the boot just too help clear any damp.

Attachments

• tube.jpg
    tube.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 13,692

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
actually about to go get the part now to do it myself..

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Mine went last year and replaced it with better thicker tubing and a proper end that wont come loose and snap off where it comes out just above the bumper to avoid the same problem in the future. It's a terrible design IMO.

Last edited:

tclap2136

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, I'm having this same issue. however, i found the tube and everything works properly on my car after i ran a test by pouring water over it to make sure it's not clogged or going somewhere else. I don't have aftermarket taillights so that's not the issue.

I am the 2nd owner and no known mods were done to it prior to me getting it, and i haven't done anything to the rear since i've gotten it. It's a 2015 GTI

Also should note, when i bought it, the car salesman told me there was water in it b/c they were cleaning it out that day (it was raining pretty heavily). I took her word for it and said meh whatever. Bad decision on my part now. Is there something i can do to get them to fix it? I don't even have the slightest clue what it would be since i've crossed out the 2 most likely explanations (the drain and aftermarket lights).

Thanks
Trey

Borolad

Hi guys, new to to the forum.

Cleaning the car out and found plenty of water in the spare tire well (PIC 1). Was very unhappy as the car is only 4 years old, and was at a bit of a loss as to what to do.

After a little research it seems a few other may have this same issue, and I have identified and fixed the problem myself for the small sum of £5, and a bit of swearing. Therefore I thought I would make a post so that others might come across it if they have the same issue.

Basically there is a plastic tube that drains water from the holes behind the boot handle, out just above the boot lock - onto the rear sill and hence, out of the car. It SHOULD look like PIC 2 (if not eroded) - with a little black grommet visible.

If under manufacturer's warranty, try and get them to fix it - I would possibly even push to say you need new carpets because the 'old ones smell' - this should not be happening on reasonably priced cars.

Unfortunately, this tube seems to be eroding at the end in many cases, and the end of the pipe is ending up inside the boot trim. This then causes water to drain inside the boot trim, and eventually when the boot is shut, will leak into the tire well - most likely unbeknownst to the driver.

There is a Youtube video explaining this here:

All images referred to here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Akt_ePfXzqfglnvNgxE3-s-LGT1M

Therefore to fix this:

1. Strip the carpet, spare tire, jacking kit out of the boot (all just pulls out if careful) AND DRY them inside

2. Remove upper boot lid trim and DRY, as shown in this Youtube video (you will need torx screwdriver):
(PIC 3+4)

3. Remove corroded pipe from back of boot handle (PIC 5+6) - easily pulls off with a pair of pliers

4. Order a replacement rear boot drain hose from your local main VW dealership (cost £5 and took 1 day to arrive) (PIC 8+9)

5. Cut new pipe to correct length and put it in where the old one was (PIC 7)

6. Replace all carpet and trim once dry

7. Hopefully NO MORE LEAKS!

Hope this helps someone, cheers guys.
Can do this by feel without taking ALL the trim off, just undo the four torks and drop the trim enough to get one hand behind to take off and replace the tube, VW want about £200 for this fix, took me 15 minutes !