GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Still lacking data to back this up. I've been searching for data for a while (again, that is not on a marketing page) and have found none. In many tests on this forum, as well as elsewhere online, users have found minimal increase in power, maybe 1 or 2 hp, from an aftermarket intake. Dyno runs to prove it.

very quick google just one of the pick of the bunch as its done over in USA ...stock paper filter vs K&N panel..so not a "cone" etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikmzeEO6eQk

increase of 5bhp & 6torque...

& are you going to argue with VWR who state a 12Nm gain over stock for their panel (ITG) filter for my car??........

sorry I forgot you'll say "its marketing"...

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
very quick google just one of the pick of the bunch as its done over in USA ...stock paper filter vs K&N panel..so not a "cone" etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikmzeEO6eQk

increase of 5bhp & 6torque...

& are you going to argue with VWR who state a 12Nm gain over stock for their panel (ITG) filter for my car??........

sorry I forgot you'll say "its marketing"...
I thought we were talking about adding an aftermarket cold air intake, not changing a filter??? My initial post was in response to why people spend so much money on aftermarket intakes.

There are plenty of videos that show aftermarket intakes do nothing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I thought we were talking about adding an aftermarket cold air intake, not changing a filter??? My initial post was in response to why people spend so much money on aftermarket intakes.

There are plenty of videos that show aftermarket intakes do nothing.

Well if a straight swap panel as shown in the video can produce an extra 5bhp then if the OEM intake system is restrictive then making a CAI less restrictive will also increase the bhp etc...

In the photos that I posted the intake is the restrictor, much like in certain rally/race classes....to reduce power...The air filter & piping is sitting on the engine causing heat soak for the engine..why did VAG do this??...packaging...& to reduce engine noise...

Downside is it restricts the amount of air the throttle body can draw on, it also heats up this air as it travel through the air filter & pipework to the TB..the intake manifold also is running hotter due to heat soak as the top of the engine in encased in two layers of thick black plastic..

Remove the black plastic, allows no heat soaking of engine, & exposed the intake manifold...thus ALL are now running cooler....which is what you want!!

Also the smallest diameter/CSA in the whole system is the throttle body now with my built CAI...the throttle body could fit the whole of the outside dims of the OEM intake funnel inside it.....

I did not buy aftermarket as they were badly designed & most were open cone filters which cause MORE problems....

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Well if a straight swap panel as shown in the video can produce an extra 5bhp then if the OEM intake system is restrictive then making a CAI less restrictive will also increase the bhp etc...

In the photos that I posted the intake is the restrictor, much like in certain rally/race classes....to reduce power...The air filter & piping is sitting on the engine causing heat soak for the engine..why did VAG do this??...packaging...& to reduce engine noise...

Downside is it restricts the amount of air the throttle body can draw on, it also heats up this air as it travel through the air filter & pipework to the TB..the intake manifold also is running hotter due to heat soak as the top of the engine in encased in two layers of thick black plastic..

Remove the black plastic, allows no heat soaking of engine, & exposed the intake manifold...thus ALL are now running cooler....which is what you want!!

Also the smallest diameter/CSA in the whole system is the throttle body now with my built CAI...the throttle body could fit the whole of the outside dims of the OEM intake funnel inside it.....

I did not buy aftermarket as they were badly designed & most were open cone filters which cause MORE problems....
let's skip all the hassles and just duct tape a panel filter to the throttle body inlet then lol

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Why not get the most minial restriction possible and just duct tape a panel filter over the throttle body inlet then?

you being an engineer as you stated earlier would realise that that causes loads of problems ..

Also I don't live in "Hicksville" & thus don't do "hillbilly" cheap cobbled together badly designed stuff...:cool:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Which brings me to your photos. Those plastic covers do several things - they control airflow, make things look neater and - more importantly - is part of the pedestrian safety standards. Taking the cover off and adding all sorts of pointy and sharp bits doesn't help that.

The manufacturer does everything for a reason. You need to ask yourself why.

LMAO. I've never seen a pedestrian struck by a car and fly through the hood making contact with the engine, man that would be a sight. I guess that's why they dropped the Plastic battery box, because too many people were flying through hoods and getting hurt, but with the felt or no cover, its good to go!

Last edited:

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
LMAO. I've never seen a pedestrian struck by a car and fly through the hood making contact with the engine, man that would be a sight. I guess that's why they dropped the Plastic battery box, because too many people were flying through hoods and getting hurt, but with the felt or no cover, its good to go!

If you want real world testing of pedestrian impacts, just ask Tesla and Uber.....

Too soon? :p

cb1111

Actually, you'll note that car hoods are getting taller with more space between the hood and the engine for that very reason. Some bedtime reading. This is only one of many studies done internationally. For those of you unable to see the link, one pertinent part is below. Bolding is mine.

Based on the results of the conceptual studies design recomendations were made for three areas;
ΠNecessary free space underneath the bonnet to avoid contact with rigid engine parts;
ΠNecessary free space between bumper skin and aluminium bumper beam;
ΠLocation of the joints between the outer surface panels. These joint locations normally create local stiffnessess in the impact zone, which make
it difficult to achieve the proposed EEVC pedestrian safety requirements.

Often these regs are in conflict with other regs. How do you provide sufficient crush space between the bumper cover and the bumper for pedestrian safety, yet comply with the US bumper rules.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Actually, you'll note that car hoods are getting taller with more space between the hood and the engine for that very reason.

That study is about a company designing a special hood and bumper to help increase pedestrian safety. I get what you mean, but it's legal to drive around without a hood or bumper or doors or windows.

So if you want to link to the US federal or even a state law that says removing engine bay covers is illegal citing pedestrian safety, then I guess you would be right. I found this about pedestrian safety, and all the changes are due to European and Asian guidelines and not US guidelines.

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...rian-protection-regs-make-cars-fatter-feature

This article then backs that up saying that the US doesn't really care.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2017/12...designs-for-pedestrians-america-does-nothing/

All the European safety regulations are for low speed impacts, like 5mph. Bumpers have been designed in a fashion to send the pedestrian onto the hood, instead of under or backwards. The bumpers also crumple slightly to help prevent damage to the pedestrian's limbs. Hoods are now softer and crumple easier to help absorb the impact and prevent damage so, like you said underhood clearance is important. That being said older cars were not build with these regulations and had very hard hoods that wouldn't crumple. If you want to talk about new laws and regulations, do it about new cars that were built to conform to those laws and regulations, otherwise it doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
If you want real world testing of pedestrian impacts, just ask Tesla and Uber.....

The human co-driver was clearly not doing her job, and the car apparently SHOULD have been able to at least "see" the jaywalker with its lidar and apply the brakes, but pretty clearly didn't. Looks like there's blame all around here. But the fact that both the car & human attendant didn't perform is quite troubling...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/03/uber-tempe-video/

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
The human co-driver was clearly not doing her job, and the car apparently SHOULD have been able to at least "see" the jaywalker with its lidar and apply the brakes, but pretty clearly didn't. Looks like there's blame all around here. But the fact that both the car & human attendant didn't perform is quite troubling...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/03/uber-tempe-video/

Yup, it'll be interesting to see what the investigation turns up