GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Confused?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
so if Little Johnny drives 12,000 miles per year and gets 28 miles per gallon will he save enough money by using regular gasoline @ $2.67 over premium@ $3.53 per gallon to purchase a DSG? For bonus points do the same calculations for the additional .12 savings available for using non-Top Tier gasoline. Show your work

the $ numbers were today's price at the Mobil station where I filled up with regular.

something over 33 mpg for Mud last tank.....wooot!

at those real numbers (12k yr @32 mpg =375 gallons yr x .86 difference = $322 per year). Lucky enough I could afford it, cheap enough not to feel it worth it Ignoring a possible mpg improvement...not real convinced it is there. I believe there is a power bump but the mpg is debatable from everything I've read. I have seen some new research where they are bumping octane to 100+ and can get signifigant improvements but it does not seem to be here for today's cars.

Last edited:

Drtsk

Passed Driver's Ed
This thread has gotten uber gay...

Amen!
All I wanted to know was if using 87 was okay.
In May of 2014, I bought my son the 1st batch MKVII GTI SE 6MT for high school graduation present. I remember that car needed a 93 octane. I just thought that my gas tank door saying 87 was a typo and wanted to make sure 87 was allowed. Didn’t realize that GTI forum was this enthusiastic.

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
Amen!
In May of 2014, I bought my son the 1st batch MKVII GTI SE 6MT for high school graduation present. I remember that car needed a 93 octane. I just thought that my gas tank door saying 87 was a typo and wanted to make sure 87 was allowed. Didn’t realize that GTI forum was this enthusiastic.
I have a 15 it says 91. I think in 16 it said 87.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Using 87 regualr is OK, for better performance 91/93 premium is BETTER. Those are facts, not an opinion.

You decide what's right for you.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Amen!

Well maybe read the owners manual instead of making another topic about which grade is better and what gas should I use. It says in there what you should fill the car with FFS.

cb1111

Correct. The R requires 91.

That said, the R will run on 87 without any damage as long as you are very careful with the gas pedal. When I drove from DC to Colorado with my R32, it ran just fine on 87 for those 20 thousand miles through Kansas on I-70 where you set the cruise and forget it.