GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I think that’s you problem. I read the description and it’s a very short chamber muffler “not recommended for street use”

All of the off the shelf offerings for our cars are straight through design with fiberglass packing to absorb sound.

I use the Borla XS PRO and it fits works great in the cut out before the rear suspension. If anything it’s too quite for some people’s taste

As for the FB group 99% of them think catless dp to straight pipe sounds “awesome bro!” Lol

ashiun

Ready to race!
I think that’s you problem. I read the description and it’s a very short chamber muffler “not recommended for street use”

All of the off the shelf offerings for our cars are straight through design with fiberglass packing to absorb sound.

I use the Borla XS PRO and it fits works great in the cut out before the rear suspension. If anything it’s too quite for some people’s taste

As for the FB group 99% of them think catless dp to straight pipe sounds “awesome bro!” Lol

Weird thing was I tried on different mufflers, and the super 10 was the least bassy to me. It was the loudest for sure, but the magnaflow/borla mufflers I tried on were quieter but WAY boomier and bassier. Granted I didn't try your borla XS pro exactly... but oh well. Think it's time for me to throw stock suitcase muffler back on w/ the vibrant resonator in place?

Edit 2: I was wrong. Exhaust shop welded in a 1793, not 17930. 1793 didn't do the job, 17930 did the job perfectly.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Worth a shot, should tame it down volume wise for sure. Hopefully it takes care of the bass for you like I said everyone’s different so finding a set up that’s just right can be a pain sometimes

Cyrk

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry reading all these threads. Cant seem to find what i might want or need.

I have a APR Catted DP to a Mangnaflow Catback. Sounds good a little raspy when you give it the beans...

Would i just remove the cat on the DP and replace it with a Vibrant, would that make more power but sound deeper and quieter? Does anyone know what size would fit if i remover the cat section on the DP? Looks like it is separate and just unbolts.

Or do i keep the cat on and add a Vibrant to another section of the Catback?

Thanks!
Dave

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Sorry reading all these threads. Cant seem to find what i might want or need.

I have a APR Catted DP to a Mangnaflow Catback. Sounds good a little raspy when you give it the beans...

Would i just remove the cat on the DP and replace it with a Vibrant, would that make more power but sound deeper and quieter? Does anyone know what size would fit if i remover the cat section on the DP? Looks like it is separate and just unbolts.

Or do i keep the cat on and add a Vibrant to another section of the Catback?

Thanks!
Dave

Keep the cat and add a Vibrant 17950 in the catback where the OEM was in your stock system

Cyrk

Passed Driver's Ed
If i were to remove the cat off the DP would that offer more performance gains?
Or would it be to loud?

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
I'm thinking of experimenting and installing a vibrant ultra quiet 1141 between the stock resonator and stock rear muffler

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm thinking of experimenting and installing a vibrant ultra quiet 1141 between the stock resonator and stock rear muffler

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

It’ll be a muffler, not a resonator in that position. Making zero difference with drone, but reducing volume.

The UQ are often used as a rear muffler on other platforms. It’s small straight through design makes it a good “race muffler” option in that location

If my single exit exhaust sells (I have a buyer lined up) I’ll probably build a center exit CBE with a Vibrant 17950 resonator and a UQ as a muffler where my Borla XS Pro is now for a more aggressive/louder note.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Damnit Jake stop building cool stuff! I'm gonna have to give up my first born here soon, and she's the good kid! Lmao!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Damnit Jake stop building cool stuff! I'm gonna have to give up my first born here soon, and she's the good kid! Lmao!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lmao pay pal has financing, jk that’s a terrible idea

If I do the center exit that’ll probably be the next production piece after I get the FMIC kits rolling. Since nobody currently builds them I feel like it would be worth my time to build a jig for

Revolution091

Thoughts on reducing drone around 2-3k with a muffler delete, stock downpipe and stock resonator? Would replacing the stock resonator with a Vibrant 17930 do anything for me?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thoughts on reducing drone around 2-3k with a muffler delete, stock downpipe and stock resonator? Would replacing the stock resonator with a Vibrant 17930 do anything for me?

Some say it drones some don’t, but if it does for you the 17930 will definitely fix the issue!

Here's a quick video of a AWE DP, 17930, CSS combo from a distance. Go to about 20 seconds in for the sound, and ignore the sexy g35 that revs behind me.

https://youtu.be/mPZ_uZRLdho

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Sounds nice and aggressive!

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Jake, I sure appreciate your time investment in this thread. I was initially drawn to the cheaper suitcase delete sound mod. But I know I'll end up adding a DP eventually...so...might as well do it before I get my tune.

I like that AWE Touring sound. Sort of the BMW M4 deep raspy note I like (I think). The only small points I'm not clear on after reading this whole thing are:
1) For a CTS DP + Vibrant Res + OE catback...going 3" into 2.5" on the stock catback...any real performance loss there in terms of flow? Looks and weight difference aside, it would be a pretty large cost savings to just keep the OE catback.

2) And then in terms of logistics, I'd like to bolt everything up in my garage at once. Sounds like if I keep the OE catback, the Vibrant Res will need 4" of pipe added, correct? I'm not clear how much of this setup can just be bolted up with clamps. Guess I could haul the whole OE catback to a muffler shop and have the Vibrant Res + 4" welded in if necessary.