GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I rotated my tires yesterday and took note of the temperatures registered on my brake calipers. I placed the temp strips in the center of the calipers over the rotor. They registered 370F on the left and 410 on the right front.

Performance Friction RH665 brake fluid has a dry boiling point of 617F and a wet boiling point of 383F. As mentioned earlier in this thread I cooked my fluid on the Saturday at VIR. Essentially I had 5 days on my brake fluid.

I will remove the dust shield and look into installing the TT deflector plates to cool things off
a little. I think the PP brake setup is very capable on track but need some cooling to keep everything from overheating.

Can anyone suggest any other brake cooling options?

johnamcdonald

I purchased my Pagids from OG Racing.
Front RSL29
P/N# S8201R29001
Rear RS19
P/N# E8046R1901 (Golf 5 R32 rear pad)

After doing some research on ECS website looking at R32 pads and rotors compared to PP Mk7 brake components I took a calculated risk and bought the rear RS19 Pagid rear pads for a Mk5 and they are the same pad shape as the PP rear brakes. Perfect fit. So even though the rear Pagids are not listed for the Mk7 PP GTi, the above pads will fit.

Hope this help folks looking for performance pads for PP rear calipers.

These Pagids have low wear rates. Are pretty kind on rotors. You are likely going to get heat cracking before you wear your rotors down. Pagids provide great brake performance and make for easy brake modulation which doesn’t overwhelm the ABS System like some aggressive race pads will. Weight transfer breaking is relatively easy with these pads. I highly recommend these for any track work.
Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
+1 for Pagid pads.

We've been using Pagid pads for years on our race car. They last and last and last! We put 12 hours straight on a set of fronts at the NJMP Devil in the Dark race without any problems at all. The bite is good and totally fade resistant.

Fluid is always a concern as cooling isn't the greatest on a stock car (usually).

Remember, when you're going to the track, the order you upgrade things is:
Brakes/Fluid
Seat time
Seat time
Seat time
Suspension
Seat time
Seat time
Seat time
Maybe power
Seat time...

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
+1 for Pagid pads.

We've been using Pagid pads for years on our race car. They last and last and last! We put 12 hours straight on a set of fronts at the NJMP Devil in the Dark race without any problems at all. The bite is good and totally fade resistant.

Fluid is always a concern as cooling isn't the greatest on a stock car (usually).

Remember, when you're going to the track, the order you upgrade things is:
Brakes/Fluid
Seat time
Seat time
Seat time
Suspension
Seat time
Seat time
Seat time
Maybe power
Seat time...

I couldn’t agree more. I give the same advice to any friends I talk into going to the track.

My Gti is my backup track car. Was hoping to get some feedback from other forum members who have run there cars at VIR. I would like to get some benchmark times from Harry’s Laptimer. Trying to gauge how much time is left in the stock Gti and how much I have to extract out of myself as a driver. I feel that I’m starting to overdrive the car. Got dial it back a fraction and work on consistency to find another 2-secs of time. Much More than that, I will need to see video and data to show where I’m losing more than 3-sec/lap.

Trying to gauge where the stock platform will max out on the VIR full course.

Last edited:

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Nice run!

drrck

Go Kart Champion
I rotated my tires yesterday and took note of the temperatures registered on my brake calipers. I placed the temp strips in the center of the calipers over the rotor. They registered 370F on the left and 410 on the right front.

Performance Friction RH665 brake fluid has a dry boiling point of 617F and a wet boiling point of 383F. As mentioned earlier in this thread I cooked my fluid on the Saturday at VIR. Essentially I had 5 days on my brake fluid.

I will remove the dust shield and look into installing the TT deflector plates to cool things off
a little. I think the PP brake setup is very capable on track but need some cooling to keep everything from overheating.

Can anyone suggest any other brake cooling options?

Movie: *Testing* Brake cooling on the GTI Facelift (same on the MK7)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...om/forums/showthread.php?t=36596&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

drrck

Go Kart Champion
How do these compare to the TTRS air deflector or those used on the RS3?

Is there a local supplier or do these ship from Europe?

From what I understand these ones are MQB RS3 and don't require any trimming. They come with zipties. I ordered from e-acca for $38.34 shipped to the US.

They have just cleared customs so I should have my hands on them soon.

8V0-407-811 / 8V0-407-812

More info here:
https://translate.google.com/transl...kanaler-Audi-RS3-2018-OEM-till-VW&prev=search

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Great video quality and keeping up well with the Porsches there until the straights

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
What are you using for video? My iPhone had a lot of vibration issues last time I went out.

GoPro Hero 4 Silver in 1080p. I stuck a mount directly to the windshield by my rear view mirror. The camera is upside down but the software accounts for that. It’s the most rigid mount I’ve found.

I have couple of single laps in my Mini where I used my iPhone. iPhone is located by a ram suction cup with a 1.5”-2” arm. I swopped out the ram x-grip for the rigid ram case. Still vibrates especially if you take curbs.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
GoPro Hero 4 Silver in 1080p. I stuck a mount directly to the windshield by my rear view mirror. The camera is upside down but the software accounts for that. It’s the most rigid mount I’ve found.

I have couple of single laps in my Mini where I used my iPhone. iPhone is located by a ram suction cup with a 1.5”-2” arm. I stopped out the ram x-grip for the rigid ram case. Still vibrates especially if you take curbs.

Folks, I have been talking out my butt. Any video I have posted where you can see part of my suction mount was captured on my iPhone. My bad. Video is shaky but has the data overlay from Harry’s Laptimer. Just realized this while going through some videos on my iPad.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Great video quality and keeping up well with the Porsches there until the straights

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Porsches are awesome cars. Really hard to compete with them down the straights. Through the fast corners I can gain time or at least hold my own. I get a run on them getting onto the front straight before they take off. The GTi is tardy exiting the slow corners. I enjoy the fact that they don’t believe me when I tell them the car is stock, other than brake pads. Lol