GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone using the Powerflex hybrid dogbone puck?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Sounds nice man. This will be my next mount if my IE insert ever fails.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
The weather is much nicer out today, but still a bit on the chilly side (50 degrees and dry). Had a chance to see how well it deals with wheelhop, and I'm very impressed. It's much, much better than the Revo puck, and at least on par with the HPA kit, if not better. Sure, wheelhop isn't eliminated, but it is greatly reduced. The onset is much later, and is much less violent. I think the fact that this puck also serves as an insert for the stock upper puck gives it a definite advantage over other aftermarket pucks. I'm hopeful that the motor mounts which are coming my way will take care of much of the remaining wheelhop.

I tried out the Cobb launch control (6MT), and while it did wheelhop a bit, I actually feel like I can use it now. Before with the Revo puck, I felt like using launch control would have broken a ton of parts.

Now the only thing left to determine is durability of the puck over the next few months. Overall, I'd give it a tentative A+, pending results of how how well it holds up over time. Well done, Powerflex!

Hotfart

Ready to race!
How did you like the Cobb launch control. Isn't it at 4000 rpm?

Yep, 4K is as low as it can be set. I've got a lot more playing around with it to do before I'll have a better idea how much I like it. Probably will wait until it warms up more. I only tried it a couple times, but from what I could tell, dumping the clutch was a bit of a shock on the driveline and led to more wheelhop. Doing a very fast slip had less wheelhop, but I could definitely smell the clutch. Hoping the 034 engine/trans mounts will help. We shall see.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I'm really surprised COBB thought 4k was a good idea. I asked my tuner if he can lower it to around 2500-2750 but he seems to think the lowest it can be set is 4k as you said. Doesn't really make sense to me unless COBB thinks everyone is running upgraded axles and stage 3 clutch with drag radials

Hotfart

Ready to race!
I'm really surprised COBB thought 4k was a good idea. I asked my tuner if he can lower it to around 2500-2750 but he seems to think the lowest it can be set is 4k as you said. Doesn't really make sense to me unless COBB thinks everyone is running upgraded axles and stage 3 clutch with drag radials

Agreed. I emailed Cobb directly about it, and they confirmed that 4K is the low limit. Wish it was more like 3250-3500 or less. The first time I tried it back in December (on a Cobb OTS map, and granted it was a very cold day with lower traction), it was awful. Until today, I hadn't tried LC since I got my newest 5150 revision, and I'll say it's much improved. I think 5150 set it up correctly, but again, I have lots more playing around to do once it warms up.

Here's is Cobb's response when I asked about lowering the LC RPM:

The launch control system actually has a very elegant solution for this already. There are two methods of launch control. The default launch control setup turns off immediately when the clutch is released. There is an option to have the system control the slip profile of the tires by using the speed rear wheels as a reference. This method is preferred, virtually eliminates wheel hop and maximizes acceleration. It should be as simple as flipping one of the switches in the calibration. I'm sure 5150 can set this up for you easily. If they have any questions about how to use that system I'll be happy to help him with it.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
The launch control system actually has a very elegant solution for this already. There are two methods of launch control. The default launch control setup turns off immediately when the clutch is released. There is an option to have the system control the slip profile of the tires by using the speed rear wheels as a reference. This method is preferred, virtually eliminates wheel hop and maximizes acceleration. It should be as simple as flipping one of the switches in the calibration. I'm sure 5150 can set this up for you easily. If they have any questions about how to use that system I'll be happy to help him with it.

After reading Eurodyne's responses to emails, this response from Cobb looks like the Magna Carta.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
The weather is much nicer out today, but still a bit on the chilly side (50 degrees and dry). Had a chance to see how well it deals with wheelhop, and I'm very impressed. It's much, much better than the Revo puck, and at least on par with the HPA kit, if not better. Sure, wheelhop isn't eliminated, but it is greatly reduced. The onset is much later, and is much less violent. I think the fact that this puck also serves as an insert for the stock upper puck gives it a definite advantage over other aftermarket pucks. I'm hopeful that the motor mounts which are coming my way will take care of much of the remaining wheelhop.

I tried out the Cobb launch control (6MT), and while it did wheelhop a bit, I actually feel like I can use it now. Before with the Revo puck, I felt like using launch control would have broken a ton of parts.

Now the only thing left to determine is durability of the puck over the next few months. Overall, I'd give it a tentative A+, pending results of how how well it holds up over time. Well done, Powerflex!

How is harshness and vibration?

Hotfart

Ready to race!
How is harshness and vibration?

It's brand new, so I can't say for sure until it's all broken in. Seems poly mounts usually take at least a couple hundred miles or so to settle down. As it stands right now, you can feel it, and know it's there. There's just a slight vibration through the steering wheel and seat. I'm VERY picky about NVH, and I feel it's pretty acceptable as-is.

Both the HPA and Revo had insane NVH when brand new. I hated driving until they broke in. The Powerflex has WAY WAY less NVH right now when brand new, which makes me confident that it will settle down and hopefully be barely perceptible after broken in. I'll follow up, of course.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
It's brand new, so I can't say for sure until it's all broken in. Seems poly mounts usually take at least a couple hundred miles or so to settle down. As it stands right now, you can feel it, and know it's there. There's just a slight vibration through the steering wheel and seat. I'm VERY picky about NVH, and I feel it's pretty acceptable as-is.

Both the HPA and Revo had insane NVH when brand new. I hated driving until they broke in. The Powerflex has WAY WAY less NVH right now when brand new, which makes me confident that it will settle down and hopefully be barely perceptible after broken in. I'll follow up, of course.

Any updates to the break in?

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Any updates to the break in?

So far I only have a couple hundred miles on it, but NVH does feel to have settled down just a tiny bit. It's really very bearable, and I'd say that I'm very picky about NVH. Make no mistake, you can feel it, but it's quite mild. The couple times I've peeked underneath at it, there have been no signs of deformation or anything. Honestly, the more I think about it, I'd be more concerned if NVH suddenly disappeared, as that would make me think it's not too solidly built. I'll update as time goes on...but you may need to give me a reminder if I forget!

Tigsel

Ready to race!
This may just make me change my mind and order one for my R. Now I need to think about how to eliminate rear wheel hop.

Last edited:

EmptyHeaded

Passed Driver's Ed
What's the general consensus on using a poly insert for this application? I know that poly bushings tend to get noisy over time. Does Powerflex recommend occasionally re-lubing to avoid this?

Might pull the trigger on this insert, as ECS has them on sale right now for about half the price as OP paid.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
What's the general consensus on using a poly insert for this application? I know that poly bushings tend to get noisy over time. Does Powerflex recommend occasionally re-lubing to avoid this?

Might pull the trigger on this insert, as ECS has them on sale right now for about half the price as OP paid.

Keep in mind the item you're seeing on sale at ECS is a different item altogether, and is just an insert for the lower puck only. The one I installed is a "hybrid", which completely replaces the OEM lower puck, AND is an insert for the OEM upper puck.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone recommending to re-lube poly engine/dogbone mounts. I haven't had any issues with this one or others I've owned, but I'm sure someone else can chime in if they've had issues.