GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whelp... I'm one of the rare ones.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yes, they do. If a VW dealership wouldn't cover it if it were still within the factory warranty after market's won't either.

EmptyHeaded

Passed Driver's Ed
Can you tell us a little about your driving style? Did you launch a bunch? Drive in bad weather? Commuter car or weekend canyon warrior?

I'm curious if there were conditions that played into the failure or if it was indeed just bad luck.

gr53716

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

That's funny because today I literally just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico. AND, Greico offers 'breakdown coverage' which covers mechanical malfunctions that the warranty doesn't for 7 years. I opted for this thinking specifically of the Haldex system.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
That's funny because today I literally just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico. AND, Greico offers 'breakdown coverage' which covers mechanical malfunctions that the warranty doesn't for 7 years. I opted for this thinking specifically of the Haldex system.

So what's the catch? It can't be the best AND the cheapest...can it?

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!

So if VW denies your warranty claim for being tuned Geico MBI will come to the rescue and pay for the repair without asking why VW is not covering it? Just curious because I have geico.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
So what's the catch? It can't be the best AND the cheapest...can it?

Ya never know. There are *SOME* companies that choose to take advantage of their economies of scale to provide more value to the consumer at the same cost, on the premise that the increased value delivered will lead to positive clout in the event of unfortunate circumstances, thus a better reputation, and more people adopting them.

It really does seem like Geico has this thing figured out. They seem like a damn good insurance company.

Tredid

Update - turns out it was the Haldex pump that was bad. Issue started around 59k miles and was caught via an error code when bringing the car in to have the drivers side window switch checked. I believe it started earlier than this but I didnt realize it was a Haldex issue, just thought my front tires were too worn. Noticed front wheel hop when WOT. I had launched the vehicle approximately 10 times in total (someone asked about this). Symptoms I noticed were: front wheel hop, traction control light flashing during spirited driving (no audible loss of traction), and no power to the rear when attempting to drift in the snow. Fidelity extended warranty I purchased covered it (supplied a used Haldex pump with 5k miles on it). Total cost of install $1098 ($839 labor, $259 parts). Install was done in one day, this was after they had confirmed the issue and had the part delivered. Any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Tigsel

Ready to race!
Update - turns out it was the Haldex pump that was bad. Issue started around 59k miles and was caught via an error code when bringing the car in to have the drivers side window switch checked. I believe it started earlier than this but I didnt realize it was a Haldex issue, just thought my front tires were too worn. Noticed front wheel hop when WOT. I had launched the vehicle approximately 10 times in total (someone asked about this). Symptoms I noticed were: front wheel hop, traction control light flashing during spirited driving (no audible loss of traction), and no power to the rear when attempting to drift in the snow. Fidelity extended warranty I purchased covered it (supplied a used Haldex pump with 5k miles on it). Total cost of install $1098 ($839 labor, $259 parts). Install was done in one day, this was after they had confirmed the issue and had the part delivered. Any other questions, please feel free to ask!

If your problem started at 59k miles then it should've been covered under 60k powertrain warranty and received a brand new part. BTW; have you ever replaced Haldex fluid? Those pups tend to clog up and that's probably what's causing it's failure.

Tredid

If your problem started at 59k miles then it should've been covered under 60k powertrain warranty and received a brand new part. BTW; have you ever replaced Haldex fluid? Those pups tend to clog up and that's probably what's causing it's failure.

When I brought it in they said there was an "intermittent error" and that I needed to "keep an eye on it". At the time I wasn't seeing any actual symptoms of an issue so I figured maybe it was just a fluke. So I pretty much got screwed. Also, I have changed the haldex fluid under regular maintenance to answer the other persons question. I have kept to the scheduled maintenance as recommended.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
When I brought it in they said there was an "intermittent error" and that I needed to "keep an eye on it". At the time I wasn't seeing any actual symptoms of an issue so I figured maybe it was just a fluke. So I pretty much got screwed. Also, I have changed the haldex fluid under regular maintenance to answer the other persons question. I have kept to the scheduled maintenance as recommended.

It's not too late. I'd open a case with VWoA, believe me they have the power to make things happen. I once had them give me an additional 2 years of power train warranty because I wasn't happy with some major repair. You dealer screwed you, twice. Have them at least give you an extended warranty on Haldex.

As far as scheduled intervals, I personally think it's not adequate, especially if you're driving it hard. I did my first change at 10k and look what I discovered: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8908177-MK7-Haldex-Fluid-Change-DIY&highlight=haldex