GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R or Audi S3

JDMGolfR

Ready to race!
I really wanted to cross shop the S3 with the R but the absence of a manual option killed this thought before it even started

that was the main killer for me too, and that damn ugly screen that comes out of the dash. non touch screen and with Japanese navi units using hiragana there is ~50 characters in their alphabet and trying to put an address in via dials and buttons takes you a week compared to seconds via a touch screen.

Also reviews of the audi understeering and not being as good on the limit.

Really made it seem like you are paying more for less with the S3.

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
I crossed shopped them as well (together with an A45 an a 135Xi as well) before ordering the VII .:R in the end.
After having test driven them all and got negotiated prices the S3 would have been 6.000 € more than the G 7 R.
In addition I found the S3 quite boring compared to the R. Not only optically, the R is thew much more sporty car.
Especially if ypu're willing to track the car. So, I didn't need much time to make the decision for the R. And never
regretted till the day I totaled him.

COSturmWolke

Ready to race!
I drove the 2017 S3 this afternoon and really liked it! For those that have driven the Golf R DSG and the Audi S3, does the engine and transmission feel identical in both cars? Specifically, I noted minimal lag in the S3 from a start and am hoping the golf R feels the same. Thanks!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Depends how you drive them.

The Audi has a different suspension and seats, so it doesn't matter if they have the same drivetrain, they'll still feel different.

You can still find new S3's?

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
You can still find new S3's?

Sure; even up here they have one or two on the lot usually. Hell, they have an RS3, in Nardo Gray, here that's been there for months now. Seems no one up here wants to spring for the $58k asking price in the middle of winter for a 400hp small sports sedan with summer tires. Who knew?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Only 364 HP? I was just at an Audi dealer and they had an 2018 S3. Nicer interior, but it might have been optional. It probably boils down to if you want to spend more money.

DoctorCat

Passed Driver's Ed
Personally I'd go for the R. The snob appeal of the audi has the reverse effect on me. I like the fact that the R is just a really well put together GTi and less pretentious than the audi. Also the hatch means it's practical and I can still load it up with my bike or snow gear and take off for a weekend in the hills, or go to the garden center and pick up new plants!

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
It's all a matter of personal choice and preference, of course, but I have never seen the appeal of the A3/S3 really. On paper, maybe; Audi makes some amazing interiors and very classy looking sedans (by my measure at least). But in person, the A3/S3 looks, well, down market compared to the A4 (not surprising given the price difference). Problem is, when you buy an Audi, the reason you want one other than badge envy I guess is, well, all the stuff that makes an Audi an Audi in my book--that slick interior, the feeling of solidity, the classic design, the tech. The A3/S3 doesn't deliver on those things nearly well enough. I find the interior less appealing than pretty much any Wolfsburg Golf version.

The R at least has the benefit of being at the top of VW's stateside non-SUV lineup, and it feels upscale. Go to an Audi dealer and look at an A4 and an A3 (or S4/S3) side by side or one after the other. The difference is amazing. And that makes the premium over the VW rather unpalatable, especially when you through in the higher cost of service at the Audi place, despite the parts being probably the same.

PaulJoseph22

Ready to race!
It's all a matter of personal choice and preference, of course, but I have never seen the appeal of the A3/S3 really. On paper, maybe; Audi makes some amazing interiors and very classy looking sedans (by my measure at least). But in person, the A3/S3 looks, well, down market compared to the A4 (not surprising given the price difference). Problem is, when you buy an Audi, the reason you want one other than badge envy I guess is, well, all the stuff that makes an Audi an Audi in my book--that slick interior, the feeling of solidity, the classic design, the tech. The A3/S3 doesn't deliver on those things nearly well enough. I find the interior less appealing than pretty much any Wolfsburg Golf version.

The R at least has the benefit of being at the top of VW's stateside non-SUV lineup, and it feels upscale. Go to an Audi dealer and look at an A4 and an A3 (or S4/S3) side by side or one after the other. The difference is amazing. And that makes the premium over the VW rather unpalatable, especially when you through in the higher cost of service at the Audi place, despite the parts being probably the same.
I much prefer the A3/S3’s interior/exterior than the A4/S4.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I much prefer the A3/S3’s interior/exterior than the A4/S4.

Well, as I said, it's a matter of taste I guess. I'm totally the opposite--I think those round vents look cheap, and the proportions on the 3 don't seem as elegant as on the 4. But as I'm not in the position to buy either, kinda moot :).

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
If VW could grab the Haldex upgrade from the FL S3, the R would be so much better. Looks like United and HPA are going to have us covered this year though.

Otherwise the R is still better for my taste. I would have liked the more visually appealing super sport seats as well as the sunroof.

Toss my opinion out the door if they offered the S3 in a Sportback, and I will show up with cash

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I think the A3/S3 has one of the classiest interiors. It’s very well put together and the MMI is much better than the touch screen in the VW.
I prefer the A3 to the A4.

I certainly prefer the size of the A3/S3; it's about perfect. I don't think I could buy one over an A4, though, because for me the interior is much more satisfying in the A4 (which you can get with a manual here, while no A3/S3 comes with a stick, here at least). But truly, I'd love any of 'em if I had to replace my R.