GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Automotive Custom Etune

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
You don't want to run a crackle tune with a catted downpipe.

From experience, yes. I had the crackles option on the Fiesta ST with stock downpipe and it basically overheated my cat and made it fall apart within 6 months of using crackles.

Hmm off the top of my head I can't remember if they said you need one or not. I believe Apr says you need it for their crackle tune. I'll tell you thought I can see why. The stock dp is crazy restrictive so they might not be able to guarantee the crackles with the stock pipe. It will work for sure with a new dp. And catless is crazy loud with the crackles trust me lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I'd say if you must run catted for emissions and you want the crackle then get a really high flow low cell cat. Like stated above I can totally see it wrecking a cat.

Ok thank you, I'll look into that

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Hi there,

So we are talking about small changes in AFR. Peak power is going to be around 0.88-.92 lambda on these vehicles. I don't like using AFR since stoich changes depending on fuel source (11 afr on ethanol is way leaner than 11 afr on gas).
Port injection vehicles inherently need to run a little richer due to the way the air/fuel charge is dispersed (homogeneous mixture). As you increase the amount of incompressible unburnt liquid into the cylinder, your potential for power will go down. A lower lambda target can indeed be used as method of lowering combustion temperatures, but usually at the expense of power. Water injection is a good example. If you don't increase timing or boost, water injection will actually lower power output (decreased volumetric efficiency). You also increase emissions running richer.
On a DI motor, since the injectors run over 10 times the pressure of a conventional port injection injector, the spray pattern is much better and can be aimed directly at the source of ignition - the spark plug. You can in theory run an overall leaner AFR but for all intents and purposes in the area of the cylinder where knock is most likely to occur, the mixture can be richer. It also allows a shorter window of injector pulse width and increases efficiency.
So when comparing a DI and PI motor, DI can run quite a bit leaner and still be ahead of PI in detonation resistance.

Without throwing your car/mk7's on the dyno, you'll never know how much power you are giving up running a richer mixture than what makes the most power. Personally, running really rich has caused phantom knock in some instances just like what water/meth seemed to do for me. If you are increasing unburnt fuel you better be increasing timing to make the power. Remember that air scavenges quickest when hot, which is why velocity matters so much in exhaust design.

I can't give an answer on how much power you are giving up. I will say tons of people run mid to low .8's lambda with 400-500whp on the stock motor with no signs of any melted valves or internals. You are safe.
Damn man lol thank you. I really learned a lot from that. Way more that I have previously from anything else. So on the way to work today I took 2 logs. Both 3rd gear wot. I'll send them to stratified in the morning. Off hand I noticed the lowest afr I got during the pull was 11.32. Now without looking at the log which I can't yet, that's low according to the posts above, but "normal" to stratified. Now it is my first revision, so I could just tell him to bring up the afr a bit?

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Damn man lol thank you. I really learned a lot from that. Way more that I have previously from anything else. So on the way to work today I took 2 logs. Both 3rd gear wot. I'll send them to stratified in the morning. Off hand I noticed the lowest afr I got during the pull was 11.32. Now without looking at the log which I can't yet, that's low according to the posts above, but "normal" to stratified. Now it is my first revision, so I could just tell him to bring up the afr a bit?

It's not that simple if they bring up the AFR they may not know how to combat the KR that may follow. You can ask but if that's they way they tune that's what they are familiar with and then blame any issues on AFR.

Ask and see how they respond.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Full transparency, I have 5150 FBO IS38. Previously I have had MAP & Freek when I was IS20. 5150 has the lowest KR even on the base tune compared to other final tunes.

Jon is a busy guy which is why he doesnt respond right away in many cases. but if you are patient his product speaks for itself. However, if you join his Facebook group you can have a better grasp of him if you so wish to.
Totally fine with him being busy. I was just directed to fb though which I don't have and kinda given an answer of you'll find everything on there. The responses came across rude. There was so a few things on different sites of complaints about customer service so it just rubbed me wrong. Who knows, after this I could go to him if I'm wanting more, I just really liked the look of stratified and there really wasn't a negative thing on them.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Totally fine with him being busy. I was just directed to fb though which I don't have and kinda given an answer of you'll find everything on there. The responses came across rude. There was so a few things on different sites of complaints about customer service so it just rubbed me wrong. Who knows, after this I could go to him if I'm wanting more, I just really liked the look of stratified and there really wasn't a negative thing on them.

Believe me I understand what you mean.

But at the end of the day you are paying for a professional service not customer service. If customer service is more important that the product than I guess that is the breaking point for some people.

I personally believe when it comes to a professional service the ends justify the means, but that's just my personal take.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Believe me I understand what you mean.

But at the end of the day you are paying for a professional service not customer service. If customer service is more important that the product than I guess that is the breaking point for some people.

I personally believe when it comes to a professional service the ends justify the means, but that's just my personal take.
100% agree. I just think in a customer service aspect of, if something is wrong with my tune, I may be met with no responses or attitude and that's not what I want when I'm paying for a service. My profession is in service/retail so I always think of that first. Probably a downfall of mine because I guarantee 5150 is just as good as all of you say it is. We'll see how this stratified tune goes and take it from there. One question I have though is if stratified is showing in that article their graphs stating that the lower afr is met with more power, how could it be bad. (totally honest question and not meaning to say anyone here doesn't know what their talking about)

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
100% agree. I just think in a customer service aspect of, if something is wrong with my tune, I may be met with no responses or attitude and that's not what I want when I'm paying for a service. My profession is in service/retail so I always think of that first. Probably a downfall of mine because I guarantee 5150 is just as good as all of you say it is. We'll see how this stratified tune goes and take it from there. One question I have though is if stratified is showing in that article their graphs stating that the lower afr is met with more power, how could it be bad. (totally honest question and not meaning to say anyone here doesn't know what their talking about)

Lack of true testing on the platform through various changes on the available tables? I wouldn't know but that is my guess?

I'm not saying I know nearly as much as them, but I trust the hours of work and developed VW put in the stock tuning and APR/UM/Revo etc who all have similiar AFR targets with their R and D as well as my tuner.

I wish I still had the jb4 logs of APR and ED stage 2 OTS maps. Someone might. But from what I understand the OTS tuners all use similar AFR methodology.

airjor13

Ready to race!
It's hilarious only in VW/Audi world are canned tunes viewed as superior to individualized pro-tunes.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
It's hilarious only in VW/Audi world are canned tunes viewed as superior to individualized pro-tunes.

Who said that? If you are referring to me I'm protuned 5150..... I was making an example. If your mad I called out youre tuners AFR targetting I'm sorry?

Not all protuners are equal lol. Just because you tune cars as a protuner that doesn't make you better than OTS.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Lack of true testing on the platform through various changes on the available tables? I wouldn't know but that is my guess?

I'm not saying I know nearly as much as them, but I trust the hours of work and developed VW put in the stock tuning and APR/UM/Revo etc who all have similiar AFR targets with their R and D as well as my tuner.

I wish I still had the jb4 logs of APR and ED stage 2 OTS maps. Someone might. But from what I understand the OTS tuners all use similar AFR methodology.
I emailed them asking why their the only tuners to do so. Let's see what they say. That's my main question because I trust the R&D that Apr /uni have done and if they are running higher afr and they don't have knock then I want to know what they have to say.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
I emailed them asking why their the only tuners to do so. Let's see what they say. That's my main question because I trust the R&D that Apr /uni have done and if they are running higher afr and they don't have knock then I want to know what they have to say.

Anyone that knows our platform knows APR makes fast tunes. I actually find it funny because there are less than 3 protuners who know anything about our platform and most will run way slower than APR. And this is coming from someone who hates OTS. But facts are facts.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Anyone that knows our platform knows APR makes fast tunes. I actually find it funny because there are less than 3 protuners who know anything about our platform and most will run way slower than APR. And this is coming from someone who hates OTS. But facts are facts.
Exactly I was going to go Apr but got a good deal on the accessport plus my buddy with a 17 wrx was in my ear lol I'm honestly not all about the numbers though and I feel like that's what Apr is. I'd way rather a more civilized tune on the safe side than a monster power car that pushes the engine. That's me though. I daily drive to work an hour away and the car is also 9 months old.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
As roid said. Once you start leaning the mixture you have to find was to reduce kr. What these tuners are doing is be lazy and just run rich. They don't take the time to look deeper and adjust other maps. There are many maps in a tune that can be tweaked at. I would love to run a strat car. I will love to run a freektune car yet not many can be found...... got to ask why is that.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
As roid said. Once you start leaning the mixture you have to find was to reduce kr. What these tuners are doing is be lazy and just run rich. They don't take the time to look deeper and adjust other maps. There are many maps in a tune that can be tweaked at. I would love to run a strat car. I will love to run a freektune car yet not many can be found...... got to ask why is that.

They all switched over :).

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
That's very possible lol like I said I havnt seen a bad thing on the 5150 tune. But again I'm not interested in the most powerful I still want it to be reliable so I'm fine with a more tame tune. Once my car gets on in its life and I'm comfortable with it I'll go is38 or hybrid. I just really wanted the tune to suit my car exactly how it is. If anyone's in the Florida area I'd be more than happy to run a bit once my tune is finished lol