GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Automotive Custom Etune

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
We'll see how it goes. That's why I wanted the etune so I could get it to my liking. I was running an ots tune from another company and I didn't like how much repetitive knock I was getting in 4th gear pulls and wasn't getting help from them. Not that I should I guess, it was an ots tune but still.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
We'll see how it goes. That's why I wanted the etune so I could get it to my liking. I was running an ots tune from another company and I didn't like how much repetitive knock I was getting in 4th gear pulls and wasn't getting help from them. Not that I should I guess, it was an ots tune but still.

I am assuming you are referring to the MAP tune? If so, I can state that I had massive KR issues also. No need to hide what you have experienced. I got my AP from MAP and had issues with KR which is why I got a protune also.

Last edited:

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
However, I believe this is a base tune ( I think it is anyways) so I wouldnt pass judgment right away.

dang I was looking for it before too!
ha thanks

looks like 5th revision per file name of v1.50

That said,
I'm having a lot of trouble finding any SOLID evidence that when tuned the mk7 platform better/safer with a leaner AFR.

The only tuning experience I have is with carburetors and nothing computer aided, so I understand that leaner = more hp most times.

Everyone brags on the 5150 tune, which is awesome for them, it just seems like they are the only ones really pushing a leaner WOT AFR model (which I agree is more stock like in that regard).

I'm just curious more than anything right now and want to learn more. Every time someone brings up people's AFR's are to rich, I've never seen a reason WHY.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
dang I was looking for it before too!
ha thanks

looks like 5th revision per file name of v1.50

That said,
I'm having a lot of trouble finding any SOLID evidence that when tuned the mk7 platform better/safer with a leaner AFR.

The only tuning experience I have is with carburetors and nothing computer aided, so I understand that leaner = more hp most times.

Everyone brags on the 5150 tune, which is awesome for them, it just seems like they are the only ones really pushing a leaner WOT AFR model (which I agree is more stock like in that regard).

I'm just curious more than anything right now and want to learn more. Every time someone brings up people's AFR's are to rich, I've never seen a reason WHY.

Have you ever seen JB4 logs of APR, UNI & ED? I have and they all run AFR above 11. The only tuner platform that runs AFR under 12 is protuners on COBB (outside of 5150, because he knows what he is doing).

You have to understand our cars are DI not PI. That is the reason why we dont run AFR in 11's.

JB4 runs 13 which stock AFR targets also (based on what I have seen).

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
I am assuming you are referring to the MAP tune? If so, I can state that I had massive KR issues also. No need to hide what you have experienced. I got my AP from MAP and had issues with KR which is why I got a protune also.
Yea it is lol the tune felt fine I just didn't like the knock. And I got no help with it. And as far as 5150 I've seen amazing things from them. I just had a bad customer service experience with them and it turned me off real quick. I want to make sure I haha the best service I can on my car. But like I said I've seem great things. A lot of people swear by 5150 and I believe they are the highest output tune for our cars.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Have you ever seen JB4 logs of APR, UNI & ED? I have and they all run AFR above 11. The only tuner platform that runs AFR under 12 is protuners on COBB (outside of 5150, because he knows what he is doing).

You have to understand our cars are DI not PI. That is the reason why we don't run AFR in 11's.

Yes, but WHY?

COBB allows much more customization on a per car basis compared to the other tuning tools, and can be tailored towards the individual car.

I guess I'm looking for a much more technical reason why running leaner like the 5150 protunes do, is better.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Yea it is lol the tune felt fine I just didn't like the knock. And I got no help with it. And as far as 5150 I've seen amazing things from them. I just had a bad customer service experience with them and it turned me off real quick. I want to make sure I haha the best service I can on my car. But like I said I've seem great things. A lot of people swear by 5150 and I believe they are the highest output tune for our cars.

Full transparency, I have 5150 FBO IS38. Previously I have had MAP & Freek when I was IS20. 5150 has the lowest KR even on the base tune compared to other final tunes.

Jon is a busy guy which is why he doesnt respond right away in many cases. but if you are patient his product speaks for itself. However, if you join his Facebook group you can have a better grasp of him if you so wish to.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Yes, but WHY?

COBB allows much more customization on a per car basis compared to the other tuning tools, and can be tailored towards the individual car.

I guess I'm looking for a much more technical reason why running leaner like the 5150 protunes do, is better.

Shoot 5150 a email I'm sure he will respond or directly PM WY2SLO on here, he is one of the best if not the best tuner on ED meastro. He will give you a better technical reason than I ever can.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Shoot 5150 a email I'm sure he will respond or directly PM WY2SLO on here, he is one of the best if not the best tuner on ED meastro. He will give you a better technical reason than I ever can.

Do you have an email address?

I can't find the user WY2SLO when I search here.
I don't have a facebook so I can't contact them there and I they don't have a website for contacting either.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Do you have an email address?

I can't find the user WY2SLO when I search here.
I don't have a facebook so I can't contact them there and I they don't have a website for contacting either.
I will try to get him on here to provide an answer.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Crisp air is better than soggy air. Running leaner will make more power, but can have issues with knock and temps. You can mask a lot of that by dumping fuel, which runs cooler and mitigates some level of knock. Too rich robs you of power in a pretty big way, which is why you see 12.0-13.8 AFR pretty commonly across the tunes.

edit: his username is wy2sl0 (zero on the end). Great guy.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Ok so the Stoichiometry of gasoline is generally said to be 14.7:1. Which means 14.7 parts air to one part fuel. This will ideally give you the cleanest best combustion. The problem with this is that when you are running extra boost and more aggressive tunes if you try running at Stoichiometry then you have a high chance of pre-detonation. So usually you add more fuel to cool and protect against knock and bad side effects. If you add too much fuel then the combustion isn't as clean and you lose power.

I know what Strat posted on their website about why they run super rich and run 11.x:1, but thats only because for whatever reason they cant control knock at leaner cleaner rates.

hope this helps.

Yes, but WHY?

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Yes, but WHY?

Hi there,

So we are talking about small changes in AFR. Peak power is going to be around 0.88-.92 lambda on these vehicles. I don't like using AFR since stoich changes depending on fuel source (11 afr on ethanol is way leaner than 11 afr on gas).
Port injection vehicles inherently need to run a little richer due to the way the air/fuel charge is dispersed (homogeneous mixture). As you increase the amount of incompressible unburnt liquid into the cylinder, your potential for power will go down. A lower lambda target can indeed be used as method of lowering combustion temperatures, but usually at the expense of power. Water injection is a good example. If you don't increase timing or boost, water injection will actually lower power output (decreased volumetric efficiency). You also increase emissions running richer.
On a DI motor, since the injectors run over 10 times the pressure of a conventional port injection injector, the spray pattern is much better and can be aimed directly at the source of ignition - the spark plug. You can in theory run an overall leaner AFR but for all intents and purposes in the area of the cylinder where knock is most likely to occur, the mixture can be richer. It also allows a shorter window of injector pulse width and increases efficiency.
So when comparing a DI and PI motor, DI can run quite a bit leaner and still be ahead of PI in detonation resistance.

Without throwing your car/mk7's on the dyno, you'll never know how much power you are giving up running a richer mixture than what makes the most power. Personally, running really rich has caused phantom knock in some instances just like what water/meth seemed to do for me. If you are increasing unburnt fuel you better be increasing timing to make the power. Remember that air scavenges quickest when hot, which is why velocity matters so much in exhaust design.

I can't give an answer on how much power you are giving up. I will say tons of people run mid to low .8's lambda with 400-500whp on the stock motor with no signs of any melted valves or internals. You are safe.

Last edited:

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Perfect level of technical I was looking for.

Thank you