GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

long time to start engine

dreamweaver

Just wondering if this is a glow plug issue, has been fine on first crank until this week, taking around 7 seconds to turn and fire it to life. I know its been a tad chilly but was fine last winter, only difference is that I have been using Morrison's diesel of late due to it being cheaper.

Once it has fired up it starts on the press of the button after initial first start.

Any ideas:)

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
Most likely the cold, try pressing the start button for a couple of seconds before pressing the clutch to see if it starts straight away.
I use nothing else but Shell V-Power in my GTD, it runs better and regens less.

dreamweaver

Most likely the cold, try pressing the start button for a couple of seconds before pressing the clutch to see if it starts straight away.
I use nothing else but Shell V-Power in my GTD, it runs better and regens less.

Will try that, but temp today is around 10 and just did it again this morning. the whole car shakes when trying to crank, then when it does fie it's as lumpy as hell.

Tried the who different fuel grades and to be honest no matter what I put in I am averaging 55 mpg all week long from Asda's no frills to BP rob ya wallet.

Thanks for the advise though.

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
my gtd was the same for a long time i changed the fuel filter to see if that would help but it was only a marginal improvement i find letting the plug lights go out fully for a second helped so did giving the battery the odd overnight charge

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
Will try that, but temp today is around 10 and just did it again this morning. the whole car shakes when trying to crank, then when it does fie it's as lumpy as hell.

Does sound like the glow plugs, how many miles ?

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Vw won't put this part on even if the car is still under warranty, unless you are getting the specific misfire codes listed as well as the cold start problem. If it's just a long cold start and no codes, they won't fit it - believe me, I've tried three different dealerships! I do admit mine is a lot better when running v power, which makes me think injector drift or similar???

adam1991

Banned
So your car runs better with Shell? Doesn't surprise me, as Shell is a Top Tier gas.

And VW (among many others) recommends Top Tier gas. It's in your owner's manual.

Consider this: the local lawnmower shop actually made up a stamp that they put on every repair invoice: use fresh gas, and use Shell 89. Because it's a simple fact that small engines like lawnmowers and snowblowers simply don't run on grocery store gas. They know this from experience, as does anyone else who runs grocery store gas and has wondered why their lawnmowers don't run well.

Around here, Costco and Shell are the only Top Tier gasolines. I use Costco pretty much exclusively. If I'm out of town and can't find a Top Tier gas, well, OK. I'll find a major brand and use that. But otherwise it's Top Tier all the way.

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
I know shell is a good fuel, but the way these engines stutter on cold start isn't right, irrespective of what gas is used. Older vw cars I have had have never done this. Provided the diesel meets bs en 590, it is as per vw spec and should not cause problems. I hope that vw will acknowledge this as a problem soon, as this engine is now a few years old and so is becoming a bit more known now. All I know is that v power has a higher cetane rating than regular diesel, which seems to help

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
Cold long cranking definitely a sticky valve in the VVT unit now a modified part

Last edited:

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
the cost of the valve its self is £72 they don't list the modified part at vw with that part number in ther video the technical drawing still shows the old part with the reservoir type thing at the front of it.