GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So I emailed APR about IS20 Tune for Golf...

Bonderd

Passed Driver's Ed
Updated 12-13-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
You'll be pleased to know our IS20/IS38 tuning is being wrapped up for the Golf FWD platform vehicles. It's not something we'll have covered by APR Plus, but it'll be avaialble! I anticipate I'll be releasing that after the new year, given my vacation schedule.

So I emailed APR to see if they are going to release the IS20 Tune for the Golf 1.8T MK7 non alltrak models.

I just wanted to get to the bottom of this. It ultimately is going to decide how I mod the car. I am probably fine with just going stage 1, but I can not ignore the power improvement for what essentially another $200-400 will cost in parts. I do not need every last ounce of power out of the car, so a downpipe is not necessary. I also want to maintain an OEM+ style to my car. I think IS20 and tune would be plenty of power.

I got several responses

"Thank you for reaching out to us. This is something we are looking into, although I do not have an expected completion date available at this time. It should be something that we offer in the future though"

Ryan
Customer Service
APR,LLC

So it does sound promising. I did get other emails as well from other employee's. It almost sounded like they are working on it as they speak. Only one can hope :)

Last edited:

Bonderd

Passed Driver's Ed
It is a thing on the Alltrack. However all the other Golf TSI's are still left in purgatory :(

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
To me that sounds like good progress. Last time I talked to them a little over a year ago they said they didn't think there was much interest, and basically that they had already dismissed it. Since they released the tune for the alltrack they have still been implying that it's not coming any time soon. I guess they're going back on their word which is great! Though still a little late.

Also, OP I think your approach will be great. It's not far off of what mine was. You will be nearly doubling the power to weight, but after you do it your golf will be faster than your S3 :p. You'll have to start modding the S3 just to keep up if you haven't already.

Last edited:

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
As someone who is running stage 2 with an APR downpipe, I can only hope that one day my prayers are answered and Arin descends from the heavens with the is20 tune I so desperately desire.

For context I have the P3 OBD gauge (so it's that or a jb4), and I don't want to shell out $900 for the unitronic tune since I'm so far down the line with APR :p

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
It's probably because we give Arin so much shit on the Facebook page. A bunch of us is20 guys are showing him what we are doing and then showjng him proof of how far we're pushing it. The last one was about the injectors. He was so adamant that it wouldn’t work. Once it was done and posted, they probably started to see the light

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
It's probably because we give Arin so much shit on the Facebook page. A bunch of us is20 guys are showing him what we are doing and then showjng him proof of how far we're pushing it. The last one was about the injectors. He was so adamant that it wouldn’t work. Once it was done and posted, they probably started to see the light

It proves that the R&D is all hype. First thing you do is you start swopping out injectors to see the affects from one model to another. I think the "big guys" will only chase something that will yield $ which is fortunate for us.

Bonderd

Passed Driver's Ed
That is just APR's way of telling you to keep dreaming and leave them alone.

Hmmm I don't know. I asked Arin a few weeks back and he more or less hinted at the IS20 coming up soon.

Apr also emailed me from about 3 different employee's. Sounds positive to me.

Bonderd

Passed Driver's Ed
To me that sounds like good progress. Last time I talked to them a little over a year ago they said they didn't think there was much interest, and basically that they had already dismissed it. Since they released the tune for the alltrack they have still been implying that it's not coming any time soon. I guess they're going back on their word which is great! Though still a little late.

Also, OP I think your approach will be great. It's not far off of what mine was. You will be nearly doubling the power to weight, but after you do it your golf will be faster than your S3 :p. You'll have to start modding the S3 just to keep up if you haven't already.

Honestly probably going to sell the S3, I gave it to my wife and she wants a Q5:rolleyes:...I have always been kind of a minimalist. I have watched your youtube video's and it gave me alot of inspiration! Great job on paving that unknown road for us 1.8T guys :eek:

Bonderd

Passed Driver's Ed
It proves that the R&D is all hype. First thing you do is you start swopping out injectors to see the affects from one model to another. I think the "big guys" will only chase something that will yield $ which is fortunate for us.

I agree! I was thinking of going JB4 as well, just do not have much experience with tuning. That was the only thing that slightly scares me. I was a dealer tech for 10 years so I should be able to figure it out if I give it the ol college try ?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

Exactly. You have me till the end. Consider me the Alex of the 1.8 crowd. Lol. Injectors will be next for me. I'm pretty confident I will be able to see 27 psi on e40 no problem. 124mph is fast enough for me right now. Honestly I really wish if someone would make a shift kit for the auto.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Subbed.
In the same boat.
Oil change coming soon. Will have my shop (apr dealer) send a request as well although for is38

Bonderd

Passed Driver's Ed
Subbed.
In the same boat.
Oil change coming soon. Will have my shop (apr dealer) send a request as well although for is38

I mean is we get is38 access I will splurge and get a new clutch and full exhaust for my car... there goes my OEM+ look:p