GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Life with my Golf

Dagobah

Ready to race!
Filled up with Tesco Momentum 99 to see if noise at 2500 - 3000 rpm when running on 95 ron fuel would improve. I must admit I was shocked at initial results, no more "pinking" type noises throughout rev range and also a noticeable torque increase through the 2000-3000 range. Mpg has stayed the same but high 40's is good enough for me anyway. Looks like our new engines can make good use of higher octane fuel.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
That's interesting and very encouraging as I'll hopefully be driving the same model soon and Tesco is my normal source of fuel. How much more is the Momentum over the price of the 95 RON unleaded?

Dagobah

Ready to race!
£1.36 for 95 ron and £1.42 for momentum so at 45 litre fill up it will be about £2.70 extra, if it gives me the results I've had today then it will be a small price to pay.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Yup - good enough for me too - I think you've just sold it to me.

Dagobah

Ready to race!
Took my Golf in for the rattle on the wastegate actuator, as it was getting quite noticeable at 2000 to 3000 rpm. There is a "Technical Services Bulletin" for this issue from VW but it will only be applied if:-
1) You have this rattle, that sounds like your dragging a bike chain behind you at 2000 to 3000 rpm under medium to heavy load.
2) and can reproduce it all the time as proof that its a problem for you.
3) Its classed as a "customer satisfaction" issue as its not safety related and the rattle will not cause any damage to engine, but if you have this noise don't live with it - get it fixed under warranty. They say that not many people complain or even have this rattle thats why VW don't put the clip on at the factory, but looking back at the Mk6 Forums around the world its been a issue with the TSi engine for a few years.

They will fit a clip to stop the arm from rattling. I will put my before and after pics/vid up this weekend showing where the rattle comes from and what the fix looks like.
Makes my engine sound way smoother now.

caravaggio

Passed Driver's Ed
The reference for the clip that fixes the issue is - Ref: 04E 145 220 - If anyone finds the same problem it might be of help when explaining it to the dealer.

Last edited:

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Andrew - I'd be grateful to know more on this, the photos will be useful just in case.

Dagobah

Ready to race!
Here is the video showing before and after the wastegate clip was added, as you can see there was alot of play between the wastegate and connecting rod which causes the rattle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs8HOANckjQ

DW58

Go Kart Champion
What/where is the waste gate on the engine, so tha I'll know if mine needs the modification when it arrives?

Dagobah

Ready to race!
Had my clip fitted a couple of weeks ago, see my "life with my golf" thread for the video I made. Its an absolute pleasure to drive now.
Here is the video showing before and after the wastegate clip was added, as you can see there was alot of play between the wastegate and connecting rod which causes the rattle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs8HOANckjQ

Boost1

Ready to race!
I have fitted the clip and the noise is much improved, in fact if I hadn't heard the original noise I would not really notice the noise I have now. That said, it is not 100% gone. With windows down it is the same kind of sound but quieter and just a very quick burst.

Did your clip fix it 100% or just to acceptable levels?

Thanks for the part numbers and video by the way, I went the DIY route. Clip was £15 plus p&p.

Dagobah

Ready to race!
Glad to hear the clip has made a difference, if not totally gone.
I'd say that my 'rattle' has 100% gone, as I listened very closely after having it fitted.
I can now drive the car to its full potential at last.:D

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I rented a Mk5 Golf 1.6FSI (sweet vehicle, sigh) for 3 1/2 years & 30-odd,000 miles. Not intending to buy it and being a bit of a tight wad I always ran it on locally cheapest 95RON unleaded without any problems. I listened out for any pinking or pre-ignition but there was never any, it always ran smooth as. Same with my Mk7, 'cept it's a different engine and I have it over 4 years, but so far so good running on supermrakets' finest.

I'd only use a named brand oil and wouldn't reccomend 'supermarket sludge', as an engineering anorak / nerd described it to me and apparently neither is it fit to oil a garden gate....

J4KE45

Had the clip fitted after a year and a half without one thinking the noise was normal! 100% GONE, no 'rattle' noise left at all! :)

ChrisAdam

Hello guys
I have same problem with the wastegate rattle on my 1.4 TSI Golf 7 now for a few months and it seems getting worse every day.
I see you talking about this clip 04e-145-220 that might fix this noise
My problem is that I can't find any place to buy it and VEW dealers won't help me...
Can anyone let me know from where to buy it and if it is an easy fitting?
Would appreciate a lot
Thanks!