GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 OEM LED Tails

gee-dubR32

I just got around to reading through some of the comments in this thread. I am a new owner of 2017 Golf R. I installed the Euro 7.5 refresh tails. I got my wiring kit from JBale just before he put production on hiatus. Reading these complaints about throwing codes encouraged me to write something. I haven't checked for the bulb out code myself but I certainly will. But even if I'm throwing a code, like others here, it is inconsequential to me. I've got a fantastic set of lights working on my car. Even the VW dealer service team and sales advisors were complimenting them. That said, let's all remember, like many other enthusiast mods, this is really just a hack. We are putting something to use in a way that it wasn't originally intended. I think its brilliant that folks like JBale figured out a way to make this work on our cars. If he needed to use a wire that formally powered a lamp to power the control module in the new light, kudos to him for figuring that out. If we need to suppress a low voltage warning on the lamp line to enjoy the lights so be it. In an ideal world would I prefer it was plug and play without any of this? Sure. But that's not always the real world. Sometimes we need compromise for what we really want and I really wanted the 7.5 tails. I recall with my MK6 downpipe, I had to implement ECU tuning that suppressed a code that got thrown because of the downpipe. Same situation. Its a hack. It works for its overall objective. Don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy the lights or stay stock.

Renck

Ready to race!
I just got around to reading through some of the comments in this thread. I am a new owner of 2017 Golf R. I installed the Euro 7.5 refresh tails. I got my wiring kit from JBale just before he put production on hiatus. Reading these complaints about throwing codes encouraged me to write something. I haven't checked for the bulb out code myself but I certainly will. But even if I'm throwing a code, like others here, it is inconsequential to me. I've got a fantastic set of lights working on my car. Even the VW dealer service team and sales advisors were complimenting them. That said, let's all remember, like many other enthusiast mods, this is really just a hack. We are putting something to use in a way that it wasn't originally intended. I think its brilliant that folks like JBale figured out a way to make this work on our cars. If he needed to use a wire that formally powered a lamp to power the control module in the new light, kudos to him for figuring that out. If we need to suppress a low voltage warning on the lamp line to enjoy the lights so be it. In an ideal world would I prefer it was plug and play without any of this? Sure. But that's not always the real world. Sometimes we need compromise for what we really want and I really wanted the 7.5 tails. I recall with my MK6 downpipe, I had to implement ECU tuning that suppressed a code that got thrown because of the downpipe. Same situation. Its a hack. It works for its overall objective. Don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy the lights or stay stock.

Hey, stop bringing all that sense to this thread!

Kidding!!!

100% in agreement with you, the moment one decides to mod a car, the moment that one has to realize there is a chance to be dealing with unexpected issues/compromises. If the person is Ok taking that risk, then go for it. If not, then that person should enjoy his/her car stock.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Just skimmed through the last couple of pages. My non-fog jbale harness has worked perfectly, zero warning lights or issues. Are the problems mostly with the fog harnesses?

Haven't scanned it yet but assuming mine has that fault, will it affect getting an inspection sticker? If it doesn't, I honestly could care less as the lights work great. If it does (since they plug in to the obdii for inspections here in MA), what would you guys recommend?

Inspection is due in about 6 weeks so have time to figure it out.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Just skimmed through the last couple of pages. My non-fog jbale harness has worked perfectly, zero warning lights or issues. Are the problems mostly with the fog harnesses?

Haven't scanned it yet but assuming mine has that fault, will it affect getting an inspection sticker? If it doesn't, I honestly could care less as the lights work great. If it does (since they plug in to the obdii for inspections here in MA), what would you guys recommend?

Inspection is due in about 6 weeks so have time to figure it out.
The non-fog also has the fault when scanning the car. Jeremy provided a fix for his harnesses though.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

CPI

JBale has been awesome! He's been super responsive and helped the community here.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
JBale has been awesome! He's been super responsive and helped the community here.

Seriously. I was pming him non stop over the weekend for help with my install which should have gone much smoother. I even connected a wrong pin and needed an explanation on how to unpin. Anything that could have gone wrong went wrong lol yet he answered all my questions almost right away.

Very happy I got his harness before he stopped making them. Couldn't imagine how long it would have taken me if I had to troubleshoot with a company via email.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Seriously. I was pming him non stop over the weekend for help with my install which should have gone much smoother. I even connected a wrong pin and needed an explanation on how to unpin. Anything that could have gone wrong went wrong lol yet he answered all my questions almost right away.

Very happy I got his harness before he stopped making them. Couldn't imagine how long it would have taken me if I had to troubleshoot with a company via email.

Hahaha I did that too. Even brute force the pin out. I dont know how i did it but it still worked. The wire came lose from the pin. Had to get everything back together but it was a success. Now the lights are working perfectly.

fabric8

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm finally getting close to ordering the tails and am likely going to order the harness from DAP since that's the best alternative at this point.

Has anyone confirmed if their harness also throws the fault? Or if DAP's coding already has the 'fix' for it?