GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Thanks! I am going to try again when I get a chance. I'm using a Pixel XL (rev 1) and Android Oreo. The app works fine in general for everything else, so perhaps it was just being cranky this morning. I'll report back once I know more about my situation. I have a cheapo Windows 10 tablet I can use to flash too, but wanted to try the Android route first to see how it went.

You have to be connected to the JB4 unit for it to download it. I got the blank screen as well. Thought I could preload it in the app, but it won't work like that. I just saved it to Google drive and then connected to the JB4. when I clicked the green arrow it was there and worked. Been on it for about a week and it's noticeable smoother.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
You have to be connected to the JB4 unit for it to download it. I got the blank screen as well. Thought I could preload it in the app, but it won't work like that. I just saved it to Google drive and then connected to the JB4. when I clicked the green arrow it was there and worked. Been on it for about a week and it's noticeable smoother.

Thanks, I was definitely connected to the JB4. I tried after reconnecting fresh several times and received the same results. Key on, but not started, just like when I have flashed from the Windows app previously. I should also note that I am opted in as a Beta tester for the JB4 app. Between that and running the latest Android Oreo, there may be something else going on. I am going to try again later and see if I can get it sorted.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Thanks, I was definitely connected to the JB4. I tried after reconnecting fresh several times and received the same results. Key on, but not started, just like when I have flashed from the Windows app previously. I should also note that I am opted in as a Beta tester for the JB4 app. Between that and running the latest Android Oreo, there may be something else going on. I am going to try again later and see if I can get it sorted.

I had to save the file to Google drive. It didn't work when I just downloaded it to the device

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I had to save the file to Google drive. It didn't work when I just downloaded it to the device

I also tried that yesterday, but the download firmware button just showed the blank listing just as when I downloaded via the web (by browsing the forum thread and selecting the hex file from within the app. Either way, firmware listing screen was blank when clicking the green firmware down arrow.

So...this morning I killed the JB4 app to make sure it launched fresh. I started the JB4 app and connected (ignition on, car not started). I went to Google drive and clicked the hex file. It took me back to the JB4 app like it did yesterday (.hex file was associated with JB4), but not directly to the firmware screen. I went into settings, selected firmware and then clicked the green firmware down arrow. Guess what? There were 5 files in the list now! So, it was kinda working yesterday, but the app wouldn't show the files in the listing for some reason. All were the same firmware hex file, but the file name had been incremented for each attempt (2, 3, 4 etc.). I selected the first one in the list that matched the original filename and was able to flash successfully as expected:D.

Definitely could feel the difference on my way to work (~10 miles through the city). It seems like the motor is more in sync with the boost for lack of a better explanation. Definitely a more stock-like feel, but with the extra power:cool:

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Update: loving the new firmware, great job George (and Terry)!

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
i finally purchased one! not planning to install it until the spring so i'll have plenty of time to get the firmware update done :D

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
well im going back to winter wheels here soon so i figured it would be a waste of time...

i have to take apart the front end to put my lip back on so i was going to wait till spring when i take it apart to put the JB4 on...

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
It takes like 40 minutes to put the JB4 on. In on winter tires and an is20 upgrade. It's still so worth it. I wouldn't wait. Just get it on and enjoy. Even map 1 will be way more fun. Even on winters

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
Any thoughts about JB4 vs APR vs both?

I’m tempted to go APR once I get my IS20 installed but I like the flexibility of JB4. (I live in 93 octane area, sometimes travel beyond it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL

Attachments

• JB4 Settings_opt.pdf
    171.2 KB · Views: 213

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
How long till there's a snap, crackle, pop exhaust firmware? :D :p

merc

Last edited:

BoomGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Any thoughts about JB4 vs APR vs both?

I’m tempted to go APR once I get my IS20 installed but I like the flexibility of JB4. (I live in 93 octane area, sometimes travel beyond it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you aren’t really planning on tinkering with it at all and want a really nice set it and forget it tune, I would go with just APR In my opinion. The JB4 takes logging and tweaking the settings quite a bit to get it dialed in with the is20. I know others will say just jb4, but Apr has a very solid base tune and you’ve got 3 apr dealers within an hour or so from you. And I unless you’re really wanting to push it, or take advantage of using any ethanol or meth both really isn’t worth it. I have the 93 tune on mine and I’ve run 91 in it before in a pinch, and the ECU will adapt. I just didn’t get on it too much with 91 in the tank.

The other option is unitronic, I know they’ve got a great tune but their customer support isn’t the best, and if you have any issues the nearest physical dealer is in Chicago. I had quite a bit of trouble with my uniconnect flashing at home and if something doesn’t go right you’ll be kind of screwed.