GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI side skirts modded

figgy1

Ready to race!
Hi All,

So after fitting the Clubsport rear diffuser and Maxton front lip both black gloss I wanted to give the side profile of the car a similiar lowered matching look as well. I contemplated the Clubsport side skirts but at that price I felt it was absolute robbery for the price being asked. So I went with the GTI side skirts for €200 I smoothed out the rough look with sandpaper, filled them, primed them x 3, base coated them x 3 and laquered coated them x 1 and here are the results. Fitting was a 7/10 in difficulty and the prep work to get them gloss black was simply painstaking in every way. Took about 1.5 weeks to get it from the matt black dimpled surface to smotth gloss black. If you go for this then expect alot of time consumption to do it correctly. Let me know what ye think please guys

Attachments

• IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 5,206
  • IMG_0730.jpg
    IMG_0730.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 3,575
  • IMG_0731.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 2,784
  • IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 2,642

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Looks great!! I installed them as well but I left them the finish they were as it matches the rest of the trim. Real quick, is your maxton lip the cup lip or the standard lip? Thanks!

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Happy to help!! Again, great work!

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
Looks awesome!!! Now I want to do the same ?
Did you sand by hand?

figgy1

Ready to race!
Looks awesome!!! Now I want to do the same ?
Did you sand by hand?

Thanks Wetelvis Yes it was a long painstaking process sanding them down to smooth by hand 400 800 1200 1500 grit then priming sanding 1500 grit again then base coat black x3 and lastly 3x clear laquer coats to get them smooth and shiny to match Clubsport rear correctly. Hope this helps

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Looks good figgy! I too painted my side skirts (and rear diffuser) on my gti, but i used bumper paint for initial trial. 2 coats of black and 1 clear
2017-07-01 16.04.33 by VA Sprinks, on Flickr
You can see the difference in finish from the front splitter and the side skirt. Eventually i'll likely refinish and go your route with full texture removal.

figgy1

Ready to race!
Looks good figgy! I too painted my side skirts (and rear diffuser) on my gti, but i used bumper paint for initial trial. 2 coats of black and 1 clear
2017-07-01 16.04.33 by VA Sprinks, on Flickr
You can see the difference in finish from the front splitter and the side skirt. Eventually i'll likely refinish and go your route with full texture removal.

Nice color on your GTI No matter how good you try you will never get them to perfectly match! Trust me I tried so much. But smoothing them fully will make a huge difference to the finish. I had to use 3 clear coats to get them really shiny and even at that they are only a 90% match. Keep us posted sprinks when you get around to it

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
For sure. High gloss is hard to hit on these old textured bits. Fortunately i have a paint lab at my disposal :D I never expect to get 100% matchy though. Eventual goal is also to also have all raw plastics on the car painted gloss black (minus seals, of course). Not in much of a rush at the moment though. Good winter project may be to do the bumper bits.

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed
Now Maxton is offering GTI like sikeskirts for Mk7 in various finishes including gloss black.

Link: Maxton Sideskirt
Product code: VW-GO-7-SD1

Now I’m confused between whether to instal GTI like gloss black skirts or R like body coloured skirts along with Maxton Cup gloss black lip.