GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I'll be quoting this when the missus asks why there is a set of wheels in the living room this winter [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Build one of these and she'll never notice.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Just as an FYI, the retailer Discount Tire will store your tires for a nominal fee if you're dead set on running 2 sets of tires. Never looked at the cost, but IIRC I remember reading it's like $40-45 month. Nice thing is you can have them mount and balance them, probably for free, if you buy them there.

Not sure every location offers this, but if I decide to go with 2 sets, this would be a big convenience.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
We can run 235/40R18 on our stock wheels?
I run them on 18/8" which is the width he asked about. On 7.5" Austin or Nogaro, might depend on the tire. Can't speak from experience there.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

athos56

Ready to race!
Researching gauges today, the one I'm looking at requires 2 12v sources, one linked to the dash lights, I believe people are tapping the 12v source on the light switch below the left hand air vent. The second says it requires a 12v source that is maintained during engine start. Does the popular fuse tap method turn on/off with the car and maintain power during engine start, if not where would I tap? I'm looking at something like this http://www.autometer.com/2-boost-vac-30-in-hg-30-psi-fse-sport-comp.html

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
with the short life of summer only tires I would not worry about storing them in the barn (well I never worried about it) this was in CT

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
So you're saying that it's not detrimental to the lifespan of the HIDs to flash them a few times in quick succession when they are off to begin with?

That would shorten the life of every bulb due to heating and cooling quickly of the filament. HID's have electrodes that used to burn out, modern materials mean they are much better at cycling heat and no longer fail if you flash occasionally. You only need one long flash to let someone know they are safe to pull in so no problems with longevity.

mrd8cd

Ready to race!
That would shorten the life of every bulb due to heating and cooling quickly of the filament. HID's have electrodes that used to burn out, modern materials mean they are much better at cycling heat and no longer fail if you flash occasionally. You only need one long flash to let someone know they are safe to pull in so no problems with longevity.

Thanks for the info! Although I think truck drivers prefer two flashes :D

nellborg

Just took delivery of a new autobahn yesterday. Fun car and great value with the end of year closeouts. I've got a question.

In my other vehicle (Ford), I either leave the keys in the van and use the number code to get in the door if I don't want to carry the keys with me, or I can just take the one little key off and shove it in my pocket if I go for a run or a xc ski or something, and it more or less "disappears" in my pocket. What do runners/cyclists/xcskiers do with this large and heavy VW fob thing?

Bowser

Ready to race!
THANKS - I finally found it. Didn't realize you should swipe the gauges. Instead, I tried to press the up/down arrows, with no result.
MAN - is this crap intuitive to you folk? I'm going back on my porch, to yell at the kids to keep off my lawn! :D

I don't know what happened, or what I did, but the oil temp reading disappeared, and it was back to the original phone status. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to get the oil temp back! Had to search for this thread. Frustrating, as I knew I had done it before! I envy those of you for whom this type of thing is intuitive - or enjoyable.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
In our headlights, you know how we have two of the U shaped LEDs. Do both ever turn on? I thought I've seen pictures around here with both of them on, but I went through all the positions and I only see one on.

The one closer to the bumper is the one I don't see on.